• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
Love it Two Dogs, but also loving GO's reads of late! I will cut him some slack as I thought the Ipswich Boys should have won that game with amount of possession.
3 reasons why they didn't.
When the Gold halfback started smashing everyone who touched the ball wearing Ipswich colours, his forwards responded & dominated the defensive line. (Most the Ippi boys were twice his size but not one could run over him)
When Ippi couldn't go through Gold they tried to go around & the outside backs who were rested against Sunny & NQld put so much pressure on the 13 he couldn't get the ball out to his wing.
Ippi have probably never had to play against someone their own size & they looked terrible at trying to contain Gold's big no.8

As for the lineouts
A Change at starting Hooker for the Gold team Changed the lineout. Both good players with the 1 who played Ipswich more mobile & great defence. The other who started against blue is better at throwing in & strong in the scrums. Both sharing game time & finding the try line.

So much doubt crept into GO;s mind because of the Sunny & NQld results.
Many of the Guys who started the Darling Downs, Ipswich & Blue games were either rested or bench players for the other 2 games. One player who scored in all of these hard games was rested against Sunny & played 15 minutes against NQld yet he may have been the difference in the Ipswich & Blue games as they were both less than 5 points difference.(Maybe)

Sunny & NQld had the same starting halfback while the games against
DD, Ippi & Blue had the other. The 1 who started these 3 great wins might be the best passer & defender in the comp? both 10's have thrived with his ball delivery.

Gold may or may not have the depth everyone is thinking but indeed the smartest Coaches? either way Gold looks to be competing as a team rather than against themselves with this rotation & game times. while the odd few players in other teams look to be competing for not only time but starting jobs?

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
Western NSW are still a shot. Last I saw of them they played a pretty cohesive game with some pretty good players all over the park.

WNSW are more than a good shot, after four games they sit on top of Pool A and have to play Illawarra in their final match who appear to have struggled. A bonus point win will assure them of top spot. If Melbourne score a bonus point win and WNSW win without getting a bonus point they will tie.

Can anyone enlighten me who would progress, is it for and against or the team with the most wins?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr_Trash

Stan Wickham (3)
For mine, out of the Qld sides the two most surprising teams have been Ipswich and CQ. The thing about Ipswich is that they only had 14-15 players trial and there was doubt they wouldn't get a team so to only lose one game so far (which they should have won if not for two held ups, decisions not to take three points (coach was apoplectic about this) and dropped ball due to fantastic pressure from Golds defence) is an amazing effort. They walked over Golds scrum and dominated line outs in that game, and the bewildering decision not to sin bin a Gold player in the first half but to bin an Ipswich boy still rankles. You can knock Ipswichs last try all you like but plenty of people (not me I was on opposite side) say Golds try in the corner was dropped and out of play.

There are at least 6 boys in that squad with minimal union experience (and yes they have been played) so they are definitely my surprise packet.

CQ while not being overly successful were strong tough and performed well in their trip South. A small loss to GC and then a fresh WA in their game in 4 days shows more than their results do in my opinion.

Well done to all the teams, here's hoping Logan and GC soften up WA so there's two Qld teams in the conference final.

And no I'm not related to any of the Ipswich kids- I've coached/managed kids in all the Brisbane sides and probably will have a bit to with some of the Gold boys more than the Ippy ones.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
No one has Midas....well possibly with the exception of one of the other Brisbane Teams ( and to a lesser extent the other ) given that most were honouring the intent of giving experience to all

Seeing / knowing the best of across all teams - White and Gold Coast are just better. And by a respectable margin ( like I said 15 to 20 points )

It's also important to note - I have no horse in any race - just an impartial observer
No horse in the race because yours got knocked out at the barrier trial?

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Got a feeling GC can roll WA, they showed plenty of ticker V White on Sunday and had their opportunity to win/ draw the game in the last 5min, their a very tough side.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
848240_original.jpg

Hey waddayaknow ........Kool Aid does come in Gold !

That bud's for you Two Dogs ( and to a lesser extent CC )

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
No horse in the race because yours got knocked out at the barrier trial?
Well I haven't pumped anything about Ipswich or any of its players at all despite Two ( Rabid) Dogs drivel - but yes , White and Gold Coast would do Ipswich by 10 to 15 points IMO

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't let it get to you GO, free speech for all
Doesn't that belong in the AIC Thread ?

And yes thumbs up for free speech ( including revisionist history for U15 Rugby games played 2 weeks ago for parents who still want to swing an axe with no prior reference when everyone else has moved on just because they're little Johnnies may not get getting the love)

Wow

So once more ( again ) ..... Gold's Coaches are the goods and they have some good players who have done well and got a wrap . Yes they have good spirit and are plucky

And yes I think White and Gold are better by 15 or so points and maybe WA are too if they end up besting both White and Gold

And yes a couple of OTT Gold Parents are uber sensitive with one or two in particular prone to planting seeds in the soil of online forums hoping the legend of their player-son will grow, in addition to , ( rather bizzarely ) still having to justify and explain a game that was played 2 weeks ago - that they won and when everyone else had left it alone in the immediate aftermath

No .........no over competitive parenting going on there or an insecure need to keep pumping the gas

Play on boys and good luck to all of you !

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
For mine, out of the Qld sides the two most surprising teams have been Ipswich and CQ. The thing about Ipswich is that they only had 14-15 players trial and there was doubt they wouldn't get a team so to only lose one game so far (which they should have won if not for two held ups, decisions not to take three points (coach was apoplectic about this) and dropped ball due to fantastic pressure from Golds defence) is an amazing effort. They walked over Golds scrum and dominated line outs in that game, and the bewildering decision not to sin bin a Gold player in the first half but to bin an Ipswich boy still rankles. You can knock Ipswichs last try all you like but plenty of people (not me I was on opposite side) say Golds try in the corner was dropped and out of play.

There are at least 6 boys in that squad with minimal union experience (and yes they have been played) so they are definitely my surprise packet.

CQ while not being overly successful were strong tough and performed well in their trip South. A small loss to GC and then a fresh WA in their game in 4 days shows more than their results do in my opinion.

Well done to all the teams, here's hoping Logan and GC soften up WA so there's two Qld teams in the conference final.

And no I'm not related to any of the Ipswich kids- I've coached/managed kids in all the Brisbane sides and probably will have a bit to with some of the Gold boys more than the Ippy ones.
Yeah - really wish I had seen CQ - only team I haven't had a chance to watch yet but credit to them . They're results show they've been in the games and given it a good go

You are correct in the history / formation of the Ipswich Team and its good for the game ( developmentally ) where you have a team that came stone motherless last in their pool in 2015 and where there was risk that they wouldn't have been able to have a viable team in this year's competition

Lots of credit to Ipswich's Coaching and Management team who have done a fabulous job in what they've achieved in Rugby League's heartland - and they've set up a strong platform for 2017 and beyond with their achievements

The QRU /ARU have gotten a free ride on your efforts

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
Predictions for:

Semi Finalists and Grand Finalists

think WA or White will take out pool D (too close to split WA and White) and Pool C will be won by Gold and in the NSW pools, ACT (pool B) and Victoria (Pool A)

Semi Finals:

WA/White vs Gold
ACT vs VIC

Final:

WA/White vs ACT

Saw the top of the Pool B table clash between North Harbour and ACT. The lead changed six times in the first 40 minutes which saw Nth Harbour lead 22-19. In a six minute blitz ACT put on three tries and take a 38-22 lead. ACT scored again before finishing the game with 13 - a yellow and a red card shown. NH scored a consolation try on full time. Final score 45-27.

ACT appear to have a strong 23 as when the bench players came on the transition was seamless.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey Strato !

Post more often with what you see happening down your neck of the woods and tell your mates too

Would be good to get a better feel for how things are going in the A and B Pools

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey Strato !

Post more often with what you see happening down your neck of the woods and tell your mates too

Would be good to get a better feel for how things are going in the A and B Pools

Definitely not much chatter this side of the border.

Can't really offer too much comment on Pool A, other than what feedback I get from my 'insider' from WNSW who tends to make the shortest story long. He described the match between WNSW and Melbourne as one of the most tense matches he has ever witnessed. WNSW won 24-17, but had too withstand a late rally by Melbourne.

From last weekend's match, WNSW did not play that well but managed to defeat Sydney West. Comment was that they probably couldn't play worse.

I am not too sure what has happened to Illawarra, as normally they put together a strong side for the NSW State Championships.

I saw Melbourne and ACT in a trial game. Scrappy game with the Brumbies winning 17-5. I say scrappy because of the number of handling errors, however it was the eagerness of both teams - the boys were happy to play a game, and get out of training drill mode.

ACT won comfortably against South Australia, however I was quite impressed by the gutsiness of SA. They came away from their three game tour of the east with a win and a narrow loss in game three on day three. I was informed later on it was SA's win over Hunter was their first win ever in the JGC competition.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
@ MT

Thanks for that Info about the Ipswich boys & yes Forwards dominated set piece. Ipswich will get some Queensland selections for sure. Maybe Brisbane should have Just 1 team next year sending more players Ippi's & Sunny's way?

Not taking easy points on offer always ends up by costing teams. I didn't see any players binned in this game? Ipswich player should have been binned for lifting spare tackle but wasn't. I take it your were referring to the repeated ruck infringements & off sides by gold? Maybe lucky not to have player in the bin but Ref wasn't that experienced, the 2 Ipswich tries awarded she took 30 seconds to award as she never saw the ball grounded & just thought a try should have been scored.

I was near the 22 when Gold scored the try you were talking about & assistant Referee was in perfect View. No way he went out & I heard cry's he might have dropped it but looked ok & both Refs were closer than any spectator including me (& Neutral).

In Theory 1 of Gold's Tries & both of Ippi's tries were Questionable so take them away & Gold still wins by 8-Nil or Just for fun lets take all of Gold's tries off them because Ippi could have scored more but didn't, Score 3-Nil to Gold. Look I'm sorry but not matter how we do this the result would be the same.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
Question for Brisbane based parents & supporters,

With School States later this year & the 3 JCG teams being Randomly put together Which area looks to have the more dominant players?

I'm seeing a Massive dominance in Met North's favour through the backs & loose forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.