• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Top Ups - Who's getting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'd be interested to know who's getting the top ups. I don't think there is a list anywhere. I'd be keen to see if we could reach a consensus on who is getting them. I guess the other thing is how many players are actually receiving them. Word was that they were to be reduced from 50 to 35-30. I would imagine they would be into the 30s now with JOC (James O'Connor), Digby and Berrick having left since the announcement and with Gill and Mowen still not on one.

I'll list the players I would expect to have one and bracket any players I think are a 50/50 chance of having one.

Props:
James Slipper
Benn Robinson
Ben Alexander
Sekope Kepu
(Scott Sio)
(Paddy Ryan)

Hooker:
Tatafu Polota Nau
Stephen Moore
(Saia Fainga'a)

Lock:
James Horwill
Rob Simmons
(Sitaleki Timani)
(Kane Douglas)

Loose Forwards:
David Pocock
Wycliff Palu
Michael Hooper (wasn't on a top up last year, but surely will be this year)
Scott Higginbotham
(Dave Dennis)
(Ben McCalman)
(Scott Fardy)

Scrum Half:
Will Genia
(Nick Phipps - was a Deans favourite)

Fly Half:
Quade Cooper
(Bernard Foley)
(Christian Lealiafano)

Centres:
Adam Ashley Cooper
Mike Harris
(Tevita Kuridrani)
(Matt To'omua)

Wing/Fullback:
Israel Folau
(Nick Cummins)
(Joe Tomane)

The hardest part will be working out who has now been given a top up, as it usually coincides with a contract negotiation with their super club.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Doubt Fardy should even be on the list. Minimum 2 years in the squad.

Hooper will probably get one, Donnu about Gill, I think Poey's on one until 2015

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Foley would not be on one, surely: first test was only last year.
Surprised if Harris is on one - he really only had one big season (his first) and has struggled to make the run on side for the reds since - I think.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think Fainga'a has a top up:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...a'a-twins-reject-big-offers-to-stay-with-Reds

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Ben McCalman would be on one. He's been in and around the Wallaby squad pretty consistently over the last few years.

I think Phipps would also be on one (although I'm not sure when they start and finish). He probably had a top up in 2013.

Certainly Mitchell, Barnes, Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), and Timani would have all had top ups before they left last year. Mitchell and Barnes were made to wait around even though they weren't going to be selected (which I didn't understand considering the ARU's financial position).

I'd guess there is still a reasonable likelihood that Kurtley Beale is on a top up unless his previous one finished in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.