• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Thanks chief. This is our year. On paper. As per f***ing usual. I think I know how those Warratahs followers feel...

This years pre-season did not feature the poor pricks getting made to do crawling push-ups up One Tree Hill by Coach Kirwan like last year though haha

my expected line-up oh baby what a side

15 - Charles Piutau
14 - Frank Halai
13 - Francis Saili
12 - Ma'a Nonu
11 - George Moala (has he got the positionuing for centre?)
10 - Noakes (jeez can Benji Marshall even play rugby?)
9 - Weepu

kidspecs.gif

what a backline that is, holy swinging ax-murder.

8 - Jerome Kaino
7 - Luke Braid-Whitelock (name changed by deed poll in off-season, purely professional decision)
6 - Steven Luatua

oh god that backrow is field of dreams material, getting excited now, getting geared up to fuck some shit up at home here...

mmaboy.gif

5 - Tom Donnelly
4 - Moli the Wild Man of Borneo?
3 - Faumuina
2 - Mealamu
1 - Woodcock.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lost me when you put up the line up backwards.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is a damn fine playing roster that Surgeon Kirwan has assembled for this year.

I have heard it said that "when Auckland rugby does well, then NZ rugby does well."

Given that the NZ Rugby Team went though last year unbeaten, then WTF will they be like when Auckland Rugby is doing well?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Here's where my concerns are for the awesome Auckand Blues are:

10 - Please Lord please make Benji AWESOME!! Noakes....how do we attract all these 1st-5's who can't tackle?!? eg. Noakes, Stephen Brett, Luke McAllister

Lock - Tom Donnelly. Ex-All Black. 'Ex' being the key word there.
Moli - I've wanted him to be really, really good but I don't feel like he's a stand-out. He's solid at best at the moment.
I do wonder if we'll see Luatua play a few minutes at lock with Kaino going to 6 and Saili going to 8.

Hooker - Kevvy isn't getting younger. But you know what you'll get from him - solid at worst. I'll take him this year but I do wonder what happens in 2015 and beyond or - heaven forbid - he's seriously injured this year. Although Tom McCartney is pretty reliable, he's not a young man anymore either.

As noted above, it's a bloody strong team on paper - can we put it together on the park?! WTF knows...it's the Blues!!

Re: Luke Braid-Whitelock - this made me laugh. I actually think Braid out-played Sam cane in Super Rugby last year. I actually think he's in a closer mould to McCaw than Cane is - massive motor, makes a shit-load of tackles, gets thru a pile of grunt work and is always backing up the ball runner. Doesn't get a huge amount of pilfers but neither does McCaw these days.

I just love his work ethic and I hope he gets looked at for higher honours this year.

Oh.....does anyone have a spare $300K lying around somewhere so we can get Ranger back??

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A couple of things I'm looking forward to seeing this year:

Benji. Yep, don't care what peope think - I hope he carves. (How flippin good would he have been at the 9's?!)

Angus Ta'avo - good to see a young strong prop coming up.

Albert Nikoro - I don't know what his fitness is like but from what I've seen, he's a freaking exciting prospect in the backs.

Weepu - can he find yester-year's form? Pleas God please.

No Ali Williams - I've always like Ali but I think he cost us bit last year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to stuff.co.nz:

Last season's rookie All Black sensation Charles Piutau is carrying a niggly injury following the final pre-season hitout against the Chiefs, with a knock to his knee requiring a bit more time than initially thought.

"It looks like he's busted a blood vessel and there's a little more swelling than usual. But it's nothing major, and just needs a couple of extra days of ice."

Kirwan said it was a "possibility" Marshall could play fullback if Piutau was ruled out.

But the Blues coach indicated he was content to give Noakes - coming off neck surgery -- a second straight opportunity to start the season at No 10.

"He had a really good start to the season, like the rest of us [last year]. We just need to find a good mix between attack and making sure we're playing field position, so the balance for the Blues team in general is something that we'll be looking for. We think Chris can really bring that for us."

Kirwan confirmed All Blacks Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu and Ma'a Nonu would not be considered for Saturday, with Woodcock and Mealamu due back next week and Nonu around their third match in South Africa.

But he did not anticipate the lack of big names - star signing Jerome Kaino has still to arrive from Japan - preventing his team making the start he sought.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
jeez some rotten injuries already

Jerome Kaino has still to arrive from Japan - preventing his team making the start he sought.

saw a few of his games in Japan, lost weight, lots of running. there, he gets to the breakdown, but its been recycled already, off to next breakdown, repeat process. Not as many chances to lay down the munt

ps

On this day in Auckland Blues History...

giphy.gif

"Look, there's your new 1st 5 Tasesa Lavea....whoops, he's kicked it away."

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rd 1 vs Otargo

15 - Charles Piutau - v.sharp. Israel Dagg might have his hands full maintaining that #15 AB jersey...
14 - Frank Halai - a bit lost. Might lose that place to Tevita Li if he doesnt look for more work...
13 - Francis Saili - enigmatic
11 - George Moala - gave it a good burl
10 - Noakes - running Benji Marshall at 10 all week then biffing Noakes in on game day perhaps not the flashest coaching manoeuvre in hinsdight. He hardly knew who would be where. Still not up to it really. His tactical kicking was rubbish, as was the goalkicking
9 - Weepu - too bloody porky pedestrian sllowww. time to biff the new kid in
7 - Luke Braid-Whitelock - all guts
6 - Steven Luatua - invisible!
tight 5 - just fuckin hurt some people please. and not from 7-29 down.

kirwan_zps67473f4d.jpg

"That was a bit shit, really."

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
haha jeez he does a bit too.

He'll need to sort his shit out this weekend because the irate Cantabs are coming to town, oh God, messrs Mccaw and Read.... O.Franks... S.Whitelock... not looking good....Moli the Wild Man of Borneo is like a fuckin' Lada compared to those blokes. A 3-wheeled Lada with 2 hubcaps. 1 of which is missing. And two comically-huge fluffy dice completely obscuring his view out the front window. (the hair)

Noakes dropped from 22 altogether. But Benji still benched.

wow Slackbladder's dropped Israel Dagg too. Took him about 12 games last year but 1 game in this year. Oh well, Dagg'll be back on the paddock soon enough though, after Colin Slade explodes into pieces due to an errant gust of wind roughly 3 seconds into the match

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Rd 1 vs Otargo

15 - Charles Piutau - v.sharp. Israel Dagg might have his hands full maintaining that #15 AB jersey.
14 - Frank Halai - a bit lost. Might lose that place to Tevita Li if he doesnt look for more work.
13 - Francis Saili - enigmatic
11 - George Moala - gave it a good burl
10 - Noakes - running Benji Marshall at 10 all week then biffing Noakes in on game day perhaps not the flashest coaching manoeuvre in hinsdight. He hardly knew who would be where. Still not up to it really. His tactical kicking was rubbish, as was the goalkicking
9 - Weepu - too bloody porky pedestrian sllowww. time to biff the new kid in
7 - Luke Braid-Whitelock - all guts
6 - Steven Luatua - invisible!
tight 5 - just fuckin hurt some people please. and not from 7-29 down.

kirwan_zps67473f4d.jpg

"That was a bit shit, really."

I reckon Noakes must have known all along that he was going to start in the first game. Surely. I mean....surely you don't just chuck him in on a whim?!

tight 5 - just fuckin hurt some people please. and not from 7-29 down

This. Times by about a zillion. Maybe a gazillion. My lord that first 40min was painful to watch in terms of how the tight 5 went.

But here's what pissed me off....I had Angus Ta'avao on my bench and in his 20min he got about 4x as many Fantasy points as f**kn Mtawira (or whatever his name is) at the Sharks got!!

Need a huge step up from the forwards this game (Luke Braid had a massive 2nd half but was pretty quiet in the first as well) and how the hell is this new 10 we have?!?

**Keep the faith**Keep the faith**Keep the faith**Keep the faith**Keep the faith**Keep the faith**Keep the faith**Kee.....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@ Dismal: Dagg didn't have a great game, to be fair none of our backs did, but I reckon it's more a case of Todd wanting a reliable goal kicker on the park given what happened last week. Won't be amazed to see Taylor benched, Slade into 10 & Dagg on early in the 2nd... provided, of course, Col hasn't exploded by then!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon Noakes must have known all along that he was going to start in the first game. Surely. I mean..surely you don't just chuck him in on a whim?!

I'm sure I read somehwere BM was running the cutter all week at 10.

Noakes was standing well back and not even feigning to run., maybe a bit gunshy coming off the neck injury. cos a coupla seasons back I remmeber quite a few great snipes when everyone expected him to shovel it on to the firepower out wider

My lord that first 40min was painful to watch in terms of how the tight 5 went.

it was all too fuckin' laborious.

but I reckon it's more a case of Todd wanting a reliable goal kicker on the park given what happened last week. Won't be amazed to see Taylor benched, Slade into 10 & Dagg on early in the 2nd. provided, of course, Col hasn't exploded by then!
yeah, of course, ddint think of that. i dunno though, TTaylor is usually rock solid with his kicking isnt he?

errorpotty.png

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@ Dismal due to Queenzland inexplicably not having daylight saving & me working til 6 I'm gonna miss the game, will you be doing a running comm like last week? If so I'll keep tabs, even if your lot are winning.

On the kicking thing, Taylor did miss a couple & Todd being a Cantab probably subscribes to the theory that the first guy picked is your kicker & the 2nd is your backup. Blyendaal, like Taylor, is usually way more reliable than last week, I can only assume that the occasion & Chiefs D got inside his head.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A bit interested to see how Hickey goes at 10, was a good boy for the U20s, but this a big step up. Waiopehu, I in Qld too, but always make sure I finished in time for rugby at this time of year!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A bit interested to see how Hickey goes at 10, was a good boy for the U20s, but this a big step up. Waiopehu, I in Qld too, but always make sure I finished in time for rugby at this time of year!!

Managed to sneak away early last week, sadly can't do the same this week so will have to make do with stuff's (not-so) live scoring.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
10 minutes gone. No score yet but Taylor is lining up a PK from 40 metres out. Should be 3 -0 to the Saders but he does a Blyendall and drops it short. The wind is behind the Canterbury team.

Not enough Whitelocks playing for them tonight.