• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus Vs ABs - the battle for the spoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
we were all over the springbok, most of it to do with the fact they didnt aim up in the front row, if the all blacks front row gets the better of us which it has done all year, playing to 7's is wrong and we will be found out.

Pocock has not displayed any form worth him being on the bench up until his start last week, if were picking on form how did he get a run in the first place? end of argument!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
not really, our 8, Palu is the problem, he is out of form.

Smith is the next best there and Pocock has shown the next best form this year at 7.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pocock has not displayed any form worth him being on the bench up until his start last week, if were picking on form how did he get a run in the first place? end of argument!

Pocock didn't do a lot off the bench but was brilliant for 80 minutes in Brisbane, Brown & Palu had thier chances & stuffed up Pocock didn't.

Palu on the bench & Pocock in the 15 is the better option.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
no brick wall here, im just not about picking players out of position, smith isnt going to play 8 for the brumbies, he isnt going to go as well against packs that play better. Pocock has had one good game out of the last 10 and suddenly he is consistant? Smith is the best 7 in the country by a mile, picking Pocock is a huge mistake and one game that was treated with the respect of a dead rubber by our opposition isnt going to change that.

sorry, you cant justify opportunity when it is awarded to some and not others, deans spin is worse than an ARU press release. new era, the minute we play a team thats still in the game with ten to go, we will crumble just like old times!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But we don't have a from 8 in form .................................. actually we do, his name is George Smith

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm looking forward to seeing how our new-look scrum does against NZ -- especially with TPN starting. I know Cobus rates Moore as one of the 3 best scrumming hookers in the world, but we always seem to be more dominant at the set-piece with TPN on the field. Shame about his throwing.

How is Tialata as a scrummer? I didn't get to watch much S14. Robinson didn't seem to make much headway against 21 yr old Franks though, and GH rates Tialata as a better scrummer than Franks.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Judging by their respective scrum's performances, TPN is a better scrummager than Moore, and Franks is a better scrummager than Tialata.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
waratahjesus said:
PaarlBok said:
waratahjesus said:
i still stand in the start with Palu camp (and i know im a waratah fan but its my opinion to!) start him, let him take the big hits, let him do the tough stuff then move the more agile smith there when it calms down after half time or so. for mine if the going gets tough the best thing about pocock is his saffa whinging ability, not his gameplay!
Vok me I am glad you have that opinion, sound shite like your name. Hope he prove you wrong on the weekend.

sorry dont speak saffa, is paalbok translated pearlbok, as in what you do after you finish giving a springbok one?
What the fuck are you talking about?

Back on topic, cant believe the All Blacks picked Hore and Cowan again after their last performance. I am in two minds now regarding the scoreline but can see the Wallabies win this one now IF they play anything close to their previous test. You need to knock them over quick and leave them in two's and three's at half time and play for the full 80 minutes. Midfield defense have to be rock solid and the Bokke have leave the recepy.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
waratahjesus said:
i still stand in the start with Palu camp (and i know im a waratah fan but its my opinion to!) start him, let him take the big hits, let him do the tough stuff then move the more agile smith there when it calms down after half time or so. for mine if the going gets tough the best thing about pocock is his saffa whinging ability, not his gameplay!
To get back to your stupid statement maybe thats why Vickerman and Tiaan Strauss weres should a good Wallaby players. Cant believe they made your Waratah team. :nta:

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think that many people believe that Tialata is the best TH scrummager in NZ.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
"WJ says:
September 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm

i cant believe deans is starting genia again. he is shit. burgess is better all over the park. whats this shit about smith at 8? what a fucking clown deans is. we are going to get smashed."

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
waratahjesus said:
sorry, you cant justify opportunity when it is awarded to some and not others, deans spin is worse than an ARU press release. new era, the minute we play a team thats still in the game with ten to go, we will crumble just like old times!

what are you talking about?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
talking bout the hoohah about one win against an underachieving saffa side that didnt front up!
but hey, new beginnings and all, all this talk about form is crap, deans has his favourates and they will again fail. i was angry with the team and the way it was being coached before brissy and im still angry now, if we win the grand slam and next saturday i will change my mind, but one win hasnt convinced me were turning corners at all. Our backline remains one of the most overrated in world rugby, even with a forward pack dominating we failed to score freely, and if you take away JOC (James O'Connor) try that came from a knock on then we didnt really do that well in brissy at all, it was just better and by the shit standard we had been playing it looked like gold.

my point is, smith is the best seven in the country, he is going to win games for us at seven, even if he is the best in form 8 at the moment is he going to have the same impact on a game from the back of the scrum, for mine he isnt!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
louie said:
waratahjesus said:

what are you talking about?

you didn't answer my question.

Yes, Smith is the best 7 in the country but this year he is also the best 8 in the country. Palu and Brown (who i think is a 7) have been crap most of the year.
If we consider Smith as our best 8 then Pocock is our best 7.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm a bit surprised we haven't tried 6 Mumm 7 Smith 8 Elsom. It'd give us more grunt in the forwards and more lineout options. I'd also think that Elsom with his ballcarrying would make more of a natural 8 than Smith. And I read that Deans asked Elsom to try to play 8 as much as possible during his stint at Leinster, which obviously didn't happen since they have Heaslip there. Deans seems committed to the 2 fetchers policy though. And I guess Mumm on the bench provides cover for 6 and the second row as well.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Spook said:
JJJ said:
I'm a bit surprised we haven't tried 6 Mumm 7 Smith 8 Elsom.

Because Mumm has been poor at the breakdown this season.

yeah i'd have to agree that mumm at 6 for the wobs hasn't really ever worked too much. better option as a lock only or as lock/6 cover. same thing with MMM before he went and fell off the face of the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.