• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
If Cooper isn't starting, then I can't see why he would be wanted on the bench.

I don't see this possible scenario as being that strange. Many test teams start with a combination that is slightly more conservative and have 'impact' players on the bench who are more expansive and can be brought on when the game opens up or there is a need to speed things up or attack more in the final quarter of the game. I see Cooper as being a pretty good option in this regard.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think cooper on the bench isn't a bad idea at all either, if all is going well he probably won't be brought on and if it's falling apart he might be able to work some magic. Not to mention he can cover 15 well enough and 12 in a pinch too, though I don't like the idea of Nonu running at him...

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I would not want to see JOC (James O'Connor) playing 10 ever again; not even in tandem with Quade. Therefore, it is not essential, nor even desirable, for JOC (James O'Connor) to play 15 if Quade is at 10. It is more essential that Quade learn to defend effectively at 10 for a whole game. 15 should be a choice between Izzy and Moggy, with Izzy my preference.

You guys who carry on about Quades tackling should get up to date a bit more - his tackling this Super 15 Season was better than the majority of fly halves. So go get a hold of yourself as you're dripping bigotry.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I think cooper on the bench isn't a bad idea at all either, if all is going well he probably won't be brought on and if it's falling apart he might be able to work some magic. Not to mention he can cover 15 well enough and 12 in a pinch too, though I don't like the idea of Nonu running at him.

What about when Ranger ran at him?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think cooper on the bench isn't a bad idea at all either, if all is going well he probably won't be brought on and if it's falling apart he might be able to work some magic. Not to mention he can cover 15 well enough and 12 in a pinch too, though I don't like the idea of Nonu running at him.

I think the decision about whether you have Cooper on the bench is whether you have him or another forward and which is likely to be more beneficial for the team.

I don't see how you can go a 6:2 bench with Cooper on it. You'd have to have 5:3. If Cooper is on the bench, which forward misses out and does having 5 forward reserves instead of 6 change who those reserves are?

I.e. If your forward reserves were going to be prop, prop, hooker, lock, 6/8 and a 7, when you drop it to 5, you might be forced to pick more of a hybrid 4/6 to cover the lock and 6/8 if you want to keep your reserve 7.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You guys who carry on about Quades tackling should get up to date a bit more - his tackling this Super 15 Season was better than the majority of fly halves. So go get a hold of yourself as you're dripping bigotry.

Well there are 3 options for 10 in the current Squad and Cooper is clearly the least effective by some way in defense.

To'omua smashes people
Foley goes around the legs
Cooper uses his arms

Please note I will always exclude cover tackles, because they are a bonuses through effort, the important factor is how he works in the defensive line defending as a 10.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Cooper isn't starting, then I can't see why he would be wanted on the bench. If the game is close, then you wouldn't bring him on in case he tries to do too much and makes a mistake, you also wouldn't make a change if the Wallabies are in front. The only reason he would come on is if we were way behind. Seems a strange reason to pick a guy for the bench.

I am getting a funny feeling that we may end up seeing a backline of:

9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Lilo
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Folau
15 Cooper

Maybe is wishful thinking on my part to be able to see that type of counter attacking threat, but it is possible. (Although I am scared about a high ball barrage to Cooper.)

Been thinking that same scenario myself - QC (Quade Cooper) comes to 5/8 for attacking setpiece... QC (Quade Cooper) drops back and lets To'omua put shots on Cruden in defence.

re High ball... no doubt best under high ball is Australian Super rugby Rookie of the year... Izzy... which makes very strong case for Link to go with Folau there........ best thing is that all this keeps the kwis guesing

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
To'omua made the Re-a-Rangered clip, Foley got Re-a-Rangered twice. Didn't see Cooper in the Re-a-Rangered clip.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Oh Ranger went down but Cooper went backwards..and then was dismissed by Ranger on Take 2...

Not totaally true.. Ranger went to ground on Take 2, after been hit hard (and from Ranger's perspective, unexpedtedly) by Cooper

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
By 'Take 2' I mean Cooper's 2nd attempt after the original collusion (which I think took them both surprise - I don't think Ranger realised how close Cooper was while he was cutting behind Braid - but he definitely found out!! LOL). After they get up, Cooper goes in for a lower tackle and Ranger brushes him off and is tackled by covering players.

It was good contact by Cooper but IMO it's actually a good look at what's wrong with his tackling. If he was actually making a good tackle, he wouldn't have been bumped off backwards in the tackle and would have maintained contact with Ranger. It was an uncontrolled collusion....that's just my view of that tackle anyway.

I'm a big Ranger fan so I'm happy to concede that my bias is as big as the QC (Quade Cooper) fan's take on it :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scotty - only change for me is Moggy at 15, QC (Quade Cooper) on bench

9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Lilo
14 Folau
15 Moggy

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty - only change for me is Moggy at 15, QC (Quade Cooper) on bench

9 Genia
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Lilo
14 Folau
15 Moggy

I have started to have more doubts about Mogg recently:

1. Defense
2. He doesn't effectively bring his wingers into the play
3. His running has been less effective recently

Hopefully 2 and 3 are just because of the Brumbies game plan though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I have started to have more doubts about Mogg recently:

1. Defense
2. He doesn't effectively bring his wingers into the play
3. His running has been less effective recently

Hopefully 2 and 3 are just because of the Brumbies game plan though.

agree but probably overall he was the best 15 in Aussie and I think always played there. the other possibles, say QC (Quade Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and Izzy only made cameos in that position.

Anyway if he gets the gig hopefully he has a beauty. - love the big kick and his preparedness to return the ball at speed into contact - my only concerns is tackling and ability to keep cool under pressure. We'll see

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
9. Genia
10. To'omua
11. Cummins
12. Lealiifano
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Folau
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

21. White
22. Cooper
23. Kuridrani

That's what I'm expecting to see. Prefer to see Tomane in there ahead of Cummins but they're too close and White did him no favours leaving him out of the starting 15 in the finals. Speight will lockdown that spot in EOYT anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A foxsports article mentioned that Slipper is likely to start at loose head prop.

Everyone has been expecting Sio to get the nod but perhaps we're going to see:

Slipper, Moore, Kepu/Alexander

With Sio and Alexander or Kepu on the bench.

That will be an interesting choice given how Slipper has played most of his rugby at THP in the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.