• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
When have you ever seen MMM, Simmons, Horwill or Mowen break the line?

While I wouldn't say any of them are "line breakers", but they all certainly draw in multiple defenders. The All Blacks don't have a whole bunch of "line breakers", plenty of guys who get over the advantage line and constantly do it.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Well, now the team is out and weeks of speculation are over.

Those who look at the results of Super teams and make a forensic comparison of the number of players each team "gets" in the national team will be happier than they have been.

There is always a lot of interest invested when a new coach is appointed because his first matchday team is usually a watershed in some way.

Likewise, the selection of a brand-new flyhalf has everybody agog, even though such an event was predicted.

Like others I have doubts about some selection matters: a prop missing I thought should be there, a lock starting who shouldn't be, and an a winger who would badger his opponents, absent—but I don't doubt that Link and his pals know more about these matters than I do.

But new team or old team the old rugby truths will prevail.

The scrums, lineouts and restarts will be as important as they ever were and the willingness of the forwards to "show up" in contact occasions, and the quality and effect when they do so, will be much more important than the names of the backs listed in the programme.

Teams often perform better when there is a new coach on board, and whilst that is puzzling to some, it is what it is.

Let's hope that we see that on Saturday night.
is the team actually official or is this team a result of someone watching the last training session?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Messam out.

Replaced by Steven Luatua. Haven't seen him play much, what's he like?

Over the totality of the season, (I still can't use that word without choking back a laugh about Totality Tony), you would say Luatua was in better form than Messam. Messam played well in the finals but Luatua was killing it earlier when Messam was quite ineffective.

I don't think the NZ team will lose much as Luatua will be playing out of his skin to usurp Messam's place at 6 for the long term.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Luatua: big, hits hard, likes contact. Basically the Kiwi version of MMM. Without the glass skeleton.

-------------------------------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kind of. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad that can solve the problem, but we will certainly miss Palu and Higgers in this regard.

When have you ever seen MMM, Simmons, Horwill or Mowen break the line?

Palu won't be that much missed in that regard actually, his carrying is not as effective as it once was. Higgers has more impact, I think.

In regards to your questions, actually, a couple of times.

Simmons even made 3 linebreaks and 13 tackle busts this year, although in the first half, and ran over a couple of Tahs in the last game of the regular season (4 tackle busts in the game). Simmons isn't a great carrier, but he can do alright - at times. Hot and cold. I will say that I don't think that Simmons generally uses his frame to his full advantage, but he is being a little overly maligned. He had a strong finish to the season, playing better than Horwill did vs the Crusaders (which wasn't hard). That being said, I probably wouldn't have selected Simmons, but am not going to say he's totally out of place.

Horwill has 3 tackle busts and 1 linebreak this year, missing 7 games.

Mowen made 20 tackle busts and 5 linebreaks.

As a comparison:
Hooper made 29 tackle busts and 10 linebreaks (which is quite impressive).
Higgers made 23 tackle busts and 10 linebreaks missing 2 games.
Palu made a mere 9 tackle busts and 1 linebreak, and although he missed a fair chunk of the season (seven games), it does indicate that Palu is no longer a carrying wrecking ball.
Hugh Pyle had 18 tackle busts and 7 linebreaks.
edit: Fardy made 14 tackle busts and 1 linebreak.
edit: Gill made 11 tackle busts and 3 linebreaks.
edit: MMM made 10 tackle busts and 1 linebreak with 7 games missed, basically the same as Palu with similar game time.

Kieran Read made 17 tackle busts and 3 linebreaks, but missed six games (one less than Palu).
However, Liam Messam made 34 tackle busts and 9 linebreaks.
His replacement, Luatua, made 19 tackle busts and 5 linebreaks.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep Luatua is a beast. Has a massive motor and will be going flat out all game. Love watching him play. Not sure I'm gonna love it so much when he's in black. They will miss Messam's cool head if it's tight at the end. That's about it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Wow! Interesting reading the comments following this article from Rugby Heaven in NZ:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9045137/Hansen-fires-warning-shot-at-McKenzie

I haven't seen the Kiwi's this confident since the 2003 RWC Semi-final!

Odd. I don't know anybody whose confident. Hansen comes across like a tool (not for the first time) but he does actually have a point - do people not find it a bit strange the section of To'omua over Cooper?

Seems to be completely out of synch with every article (ex GAGR, of course) since the day McKenzie was announced as coach.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Definitely not picking on form.

5 Highlanders and 1 Chiefs.

Although it seems odd that if DC was fit, there wouldn't be a single chief in the team, if you look man for man, the team isn't far off what most would consider the best 15.

Canterbury bias to selections is nothing new. Highlanders certainly is!

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Predicted Wallabies side was correct.

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Hugh McMeniman
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Matt To'omua
11. James O'Connor
12. Christian Leali'ifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Jesse Mogg

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Scott Sio
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Scott Fardy
20. Liam Gill
21. Nic White
22. Quade Cooper
23. Tevita Kuridrani

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Strong team. The ABs still have the wood on us for experience but there's enough class in there to make Saturday an interesting showdown.

I like the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.