• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Looks like it has made it's way into the paper's I can access, offer for Tupou from Leinster is for $950k per year. That's a drop of 250k from his reported $1.2m per year.

Apparently Lolesio and Ikitau are also considering their options overseas, but that's not really news at this stage.

Ikitau has to be in line for a good offer here, especially with Petaia no longer a 13 and Perese leaving. Talk about a valuable and rare commodity.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Ikitau has to be in line for a good offer here, especially with Petaia no longer a 13 and Perese leaving. Talk about a valuable and rare commodity.
I could imagine Ikitau went looking during the WC when he got stiffed.

Didn’t Schmidt say end of the month some contract stuff would start. He’s getting the lay of the land. I’d hope some of these guys get a chat and stay. Tupou looks gone to me. He’s seagulling around and sounds disinterested when they interview him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Doesn’t really make sense to me though - unless Tupou has already signed OS. He isn’t doing much to drive his price up at the moment.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Doesn’t really make sense to me though - unless Tupou has already signed OS. He isn’t doing much to drive his price up at the moment.
This form dip won't hurt his market value too much. A side like Leinster would absolutely back themselves to get the most out of him, and more broadly clubs will be pretty happy to put form dips for established rebels down to the organisation and the crisis it's in. They might squeeze a bit in the negotiations (that offer is a $250k per year pay it for Tupou) but the big names will all still command plenty. The biggest issue will be for the fringe guys without much super time who may feel they need to take the first offer they get in case it all falls to shit.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This form dip won't hurt his market value too much. A side like Leinster would absolutely back themselves to get the most out of him, and more broadly clubs will be pretty happy to put form dips for established rebels down to the organisation and the crisis it's in. They might squeeze a bit in the negotiations (that offer is a $250k per year pay it for Tupou) but the big names will all still command plenty. The biggest issue will be for the fringe guys without much super time who may feel they need to take the first offer they get in case it all falls to shit.
Maybe - but as you say, people are offering him less than his current contract. Whereas if he was in the form he was two years ago I’d have assumed he could get more in either France or Japan. $250k is 20% so, even for these guys, that is a lot.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
How do Leinster have money?

Basically because the Six Nations is a money making machine, through ticket sales and broadcast rights.

The IRFU makes nearly $70m more than RA every year, and has equity of 220m euro.

And a huge portion of that is due to six nations
Way off, IRFU make that money for grass roots and Irish programs.

Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht would then be making their money from URC and European Cups. You realize why Irish teams that those trophies more serious then France and England? That's where they make big bucks.

The other thing that allows European unions to make more cash, is they own the stadiums. Aviva is 100% owned by the IRFU with the FAI having rights to the stadium. Why don't England play a game up North? Because it's not as profitable as selling out Twickers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Way off, IRFU make that money for grass roots and Irish programs.

Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht would then be making their money from URC and European Cups. You realize why Irish teams that those trophies more serious then France and England? That's where they make big bucks.

The other thing that allows European unions to make more cash, is they own the stadiums. Aviva is 100% owned by the IRFU with the FAI having rights to the stadium. Why don't England play a game up North? Because it's not as profitable as selling out Twickers.
Isn't it mostly because people actually attend live sport in Europe?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Isn't it mostly because people actually attend live sport in Europe?
not really. The tests are huge money churners, but only maybe 4 or 5 domestic teams would crack a 20k average.

7800 at Hive in Edinburgh would bring in a lot more cash for them and the SRU than the same for the Force at HBF purely due to the stadium ownership and sponsorship situation though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
not really. The tests are huge money churners, but only maybe 4 or 5 domestic teams would crack a 20k average.

7800 at Hive in Edinburgh would bring in a lot more cash for them and the SRU than the same for the Force at HBF purely due to the stadium ownership and sponsorship situation though.
Interesting. I had always assumed they were just better supported.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Perese to Leicester is apparently a done deal:

Not sure if posted yet, but now confirmed...

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Would fans like to see both players back in Australia?

no - with all due respect.

RA silence on the private takeover with rebels - We are trending towards cutting a super rugby team that’s getting results out on the park.

There just doesn’t seem like enough super rugby contracts for professional rugby players in this county to waltz back in for lions tour and World Cup campaigns when you account for rugby Australia has absolutely no pathways to develop third tier talent.

Unless you have last name Skelton, Kerevi or play lock and are over 6 ft 6 tall - I just don’t want to entertain anyone coming back to Australian rugby until we get our house in order with super rugby and a national development competition.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
no - with all due respect.

RA silence on the private takeover with rebels - We are trending towards cutting a super rugby team that’s getting results out on the park.

There just doesn’t seem like enough super rugby contracts for professional rugby players in this county to waltz back in for lions tour and World Cup campaigns when you account for rugby Australia has absolutely no pathways to develop third tier talent.

Unless you have last name Skelton, Kerevi or play lock and are over 6 ft 6 tall - I just don’t want to entertain anyone coming back to Australian rugby until we get our house in order with super rugby and a national development competition.
I’d say the Tahs wouldn’t say no to Dolly if he was available right now. Think the Force would love a ready to go Centre with Spink gone next year,