• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still can't believe that he has a test cap. Another bit of warehousing talent eligible for another nation, not that Fiji need wingers and he wouldn't make their squad either.

I'm pretty sure someone pointed out that it helps with Australian PR/Citizenship status which was probably the primary motivation (of the player).

T

TOCC

It’s a real shame guys like Naiyaravoro and Nabuli are forever tied to Australia after one or two test caps. Nabuli may not be the best Fijian winger in the world, but Fiji also play plenty of test matches where they aren’t a full strength and extra depth in those positions would certainly help. A fit Naiyaravoro is a world class back, he certainly has a place in a Fijian test team

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It’s a real shame guys like Naiyaravoro and Nabuli are forever tied to Australia after one or two test caps. Nabuli may not be the best Fijian winger in the world, but Fiji also play plenty of test matches where they aren’t a full strength and extra depth in those positions would certainly help. A fit Naiyaravoro is a world class back, he certainly has a place in a Fijian test team

Agreed. There should be a dispensation for players with a small number of tests to change allegiance. At least to change to their country of birth.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I love ‘player’ quotes. I’m going to bet Taqele didn’t say this:

‘I’m thrilled to be able to return to the UK and join a massive Club in Northampton Saints,” he said.

“The squad is already filled with talent and I can’t wait to arrive and try to develop further as a player.

“The Club is heading in a really exciting direction with the likes of Chris Boyd and Dan Biggar arriving next year, and I hope I can be a part of a push for more silverware at Franklin’s Gardens.”

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

No he isn't.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If someone with a greater understanding of world rugby logistics could see if this is possible.

Presently to represent Australia you have to play in Australia.

What if, you played overseas and returned for the NRC and played in that. Is this logistically possible?

If so we could allow some of our better player to play overseas and still return to play locally and also arguably give more credibility to the NRC and just maybe help with establishing a domestic competition

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If someone with a greater understanding of world rugby logistics could see if this is possible.

Presently to represent Australia you have to play in Australia.

What if, you played overseas and returned for the NRC and played in that. Is this logistically possible?

If so we could allow some of our better player to play overseas and still return to play locally and also arguably give more credibility to the NRC and just maybe help with establishing a domestic competition

S'long as you are happy with our rugby players never getting a rest ever.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Three big issues:

1st and foremost: current regulations AFAIK is that players returning from overseas need to have two year deals to be eligible immediately. I don't think in for 3 months, out for 9 will cut it.

2nd, Only Super and the IPCR don't have partial to significant overlap with the NRC, I don't see how you could juggle two sides in that window unless you were already signed in one of those leagues.

3rd, Given that Wallaby eligibility for the non-Force sides in Twiggyball appears to be the major sticking point, I don't see them actively creating this loophole if it doesn't exist already.

T

TOCC

Fiji have a million world class wingers to choose from

It’s probably closer to 7 or 8 excluding those poached by other countries, but yeah...

The issue for Fiji, will always be consistency in selections due to player availability, which means they probably need 7 or 8 potential candidates for each position. Which is why I think it’s a shame that guys like Naiyaravoro and Nabuli are tied to Australia for life, after only one or two test matches.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apparently Kieran Longbottom has signed for the Force for the coming season. If true nice work by the Force

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He completely fell away when he moved. He's played what, 25 games in 3.5 seasons? He was looking good before he left though, so it can only be a positive.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
large.jpg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s probably closer to 7 or 8 excluding those poached by other countries, but yeah.

The issue for Fiji, will always be consistency in selections due to player availability, which means they probably need 7 or 8 potential candidates for each position. Which is why I think it’s a shame that guys like Naiyaravoro and Nabuli are tied to Australia for life, after only one or two test matches.

However you never want the situation whereby young islander kids play for Aus/NZ knowing that they can always switch back at a later date. That is the best of both worlds get paid early in your career then play for your country of birth later on. I don't want to see rugby fall into the league trap. Id shoot for something along the lines of - Scrapping the grandparent rule. - Make eligibility for residents 5 years (done). - If players do have the option to switch back they must not have played international rugby for 5 years but also must be a resident of the country (for 1 year) they wish to compete for.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The grandparent rule is going to become more and more important for the Pacific Island countries to have ethnic Fijians/Tongans/Samoans eligible to play for them.