• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Not eligible ATM unless he signs a 2 year deal for an Aussie franchise for the following year, i.e. 2020 I belive. A few reports saying that he is on about $800,000 and is not willing to let go of the $$ he is making over there and we can't offer him anything near that because of our pay structure for RA Contracted players. TBH I think the contracting system is really poorly run in Australia.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Again - In super and in Aus conference so why not let Japanese team carry his salary.
It’s not going to be an exodus to sunwolves, crusaders etc. maybe 5-10 players in total.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He should be eligible.
If you’ve been capped and stay in super rugby you should be eligible.
Toby Smith and McMahon should be allowed to play.
I’m going to read into this that RA will make this policy change and that’s why he’s signed for them

in this situation, it doesn't seem to be about eligibility. It seems he doesn't want to play for the Wallabies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
From what i have heard its a combination of a few things, a few seasons back he thought what the ARU offered as his top up was a bit of a slap in the face, compared to his market value in what was been offered overseas and also in comparison to what a few others were receiving as top ups. The Force/Rebels cutting fiasco. Then disapproval with some of the goings on at the Reds when he was having some informal discussions to return and play for them. Plus he had come off 12 months of constant injuries, had first child on the way and wanted to make sure his body was in the right place to set up his family for life.

Overall was the perfect storm for causing some disillusioned with Rugby and priorities are somewhere else atm. Given the right environment, i believe we will see him back at some stage

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wasn't there issues with his body as well - not being able to physically survive a S15/Wobs workload?
This is what i read, but just in the rag. He realized his body would only last a few years and he wanted to cash in while he still could.

Seems to fit. His value is in being able to smash it up the guts like a madman. Hardly something you could maintain forever.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
a few seasons back he thought what the ARU offered as his top up was a bit of a slap in the face, compared to his market value in what was been offered overseas and also in comparison to what a few others were receiving as top ups.
This is the biggest problem with our contracts at the moment I reckon. Guys like McMahon, who are on the cusp, but not quite there, or who have put in one good international season, leaving for more money, when RA won't stump up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is the biggest problem with our contracts at the moment I reckon. Guys like McMahon, who are on the cusp, but not quite there, or who have put in one good international season, leaving for more money, when RA won't stump up.

It's a shame, because last year he demonstrated he's well and truly beyond the cusp and should be a starting Wallaby, taking Hooper's spot in the team.........

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Applies to anyone else who were to go elsewhere in super tho.
I don’t think it’s a he doesn’t want to play for the wallabies specifically. Seems to be about other things. Tho coming back into super rugby seems a little odd if it’s cashing out and playing less games....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I mentioned this in the other thread that fell to shit, i think it would be a better system:

I think the test cap system isn't great. I would just have a minimum number of years playing for a club in whichever comp directly feeds the Wallabies.

So, for example, if the minimum was 4 years Will Skelton could be selected for the Wallabies now as he was signed with the Tahs from 2013-2017.

This way, you protect the domestic clubs and the domestic league whilst still allowing players to go on and pursue overseas interests without jeopardizing their international careers. It also means players that wernt Wallaby standard while in Australia could still be selected later on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I mentioned this in the other thread that fell to shit, i think it would be a better system:

Nah, I am happy with the system as is, I want it to be the variant from the norm for units who have delivered over a long period at test level (and Skelton is no guarantee to be a starter as it is)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bizarre. 24 years old. And doesn't want to play for his country at a World Cup. The Piutau Luatua Conundrum. Rugby REALLY needs to sort their shit out. Even the diveball euro mega clubs that totally run the sport manage to let all the best players compete for the goddamn World Cup.

Not saying Mcmahon should be shot for desertion.... but some sort of rugby conscription should be on the table.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah, I am happy with the system as is, I want it to be the variant from the norm for units who have delivered over a long period at test level (and Skelton is no guarantee to be a starter as it is)
Yeah but we are losing players that would otherwise go on to be seasoned vets if we could afford to keep them around.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bizarre. 24 years old. And doesn't want to play for his country at a World Cup. The Piutau Luatua Conundrum. Rugby REALLY needs to sort their shit out. Even the diveball euro mega clubs that totally run the sport manage to let all the best players compete for the goddamn World Cup.

Not saying Mcmahon should be shot for desertion.. but some sort of rugby conscription should be on the table.
I blame globalisation.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Not saying Mcmahon should be shot for desertion.. but some sort of rugby conscription should be on the table.

Maybe he feels like he was mistreated in the past and now owes nothing to Australian Rugby.