• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Coopers problem will be whether he can play in the regimented, disciplined method role that playing league requires.

League has become even more a game of contact forcings back in recent years particularly with the extra tackle sets.

I agree that this will be where Cooper's style of play will potentially work against him. High risk options are very low percentage in league because giving away field position is very costly.

He'll need to temper his game and really just deploy his attacking passing and kicking game when in the opposition 20.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
League has become even more a game of endless sequences of biff, bash, barge, pass, run and then kick. A coach who can mix up the biff/bash/barge combo is considered a genius.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
League has become even more a game of contact forcings back in recent years particularly with the extra tackle sets.

I agree that this will be where Cooper's style of play will potentially work against him. High risk options are very low percentage in league because giving away field position is very costly.

He'll need to temper his game and really just deploy his attacking passing and kicking game when in the opposition 20.

I watched back-to-back Knights / Waratahs games with a friend who was a union diehard until 22 and then jumped ship to the NRL.

Newcastle made a break and didn't go wide. I asked why and he pointed to the fact that possession is king in league, and high risk plays are never attempted on early tackles.

In the Tahs game, they flipped and flopped and failed all around the park, throwing horrendous offloads to no one seemingly every 2 minutes. He was horrified.

"They don't respect possession, no wonder they're shit".

Makes you think.

But yes, NRL has pretty highlights packages but I think Quade will have a rude awakening if he thinks that means he can just throw cutouts and flick passes all game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In the Tahs game, they flipped and flopped and failed all around the park, throwing horrendous offloads to no one seemingly every 2 minutes. He was horrified.

"They don't respect possession, no wonder they're shit".

Makes you think.

If the opposition had to stand back 10 metres you would guarantee that rugby teams wouldn't take as many risks until they get into the opposition 22.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
League has become even more a game of endless sequences of biff, bash, barge, pass, run and then kick. Any coach who can mix up the biff/bash/barge combo is considered a genius.

I remember watching a Warriors game a few years back where Shaun Johnson kicked on tackle two or three & it blew the minds of the entire comms team (I stopped watching loig altogether shortly after that).

zer0

John Thornett (49)
You know your game must be very repetitive/predictable when the conservative NFL springs more surprises.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Exciting news coming out of England that 10/12 Premiership clubs are seeking a reduction in the salary cap from 7 million quid to 5.5 million quid. Which is a lot of Skeltons, Phipps, Ronas and the likes.

Not many Skeltons. But, yes, good news.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is it though. Players are going to have to take less over there, but they will here too.

RA isn’t going to be flush with cash to jump in and lure guys back. If anything I fear clubs over there will take more of our players.

I guess a few might choose to come back to family if there is less of a disparity between pay cheque’s, but I’m not convinced that we will see a net gain of top line players from this.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
who knows where this virus is going to go, if there is no vaccination found then theres a very good chance International travel will face long term restrictions. Theres going to be additional factors to consider when deciding whether to play overseas. Can't pop back home for short visits, may not be able to travel at all.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's if some of those leagues can even get started. I see there being a much higher chance of seeing some rugby in Aus and NZ where the virus doesn't seem to have run rampantly through the community. Second and third waves could see them shut down again and again. There is a real chance that we may be the only place people are being paid to play rugby this year, and even in to next.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
KB (Kurtley Beale) off to Racing 92 when your domestic season is over:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...veteran-kurtley-beale-confirms-move-to-france

Not a surprise really, he's close the end of his career and is still able to command a reasonable salary in pro rugby. He won't be the last of the top tier of Wallaby players to move offshore. Regardless of competition format wages will drop for rugby players in Australia and I'd expect most of the top 30 players to head overseas. Below that the journeymen are going to have to suck it up and maybe get a real job to supplement their rugby income.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not a surprise really, he's close the end of his career and is still able to command a reasonable salary in pro rugby. He won't be the last of the top tier of Wallaby players to move offshore. Regardless of competition format wages will drop for rugby players in Australia and I'd expect most of the top 30 players to head overseas. Below that the journeymen are going to have to suck it up and maybe get a real job to supplement their rugby income.

I'm actually not that disappointed - he;s been good, but really dropped off. It will be a good chance for the Tahs to bring up some new talent (well, that's the theory)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I don't think KB (Kurtley Beale) has much of a future as a test player, his best years are behind him and his form this year has been poor.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More quality reporting from MurdochCorp..........

BIG CONCERN

Kurtley Beale was first. Luke Jones was next and now a third Wallaby is defecting to mega-rich French rugby as Aussie players look for ways out amid the game’s financial crisis.

BJ first announced back at the start of February that Luke Jones was leaving.........

Also, Beale's departure might have more to do with his age, poor form, and this...

Test veteran Kurtley Beale is missing from the first squad compiled by new Wallabies coach Dave Rennie and his assistants.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...official-wallabies-squad-20200425-p54n7p.html