• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only because there are still six weeks left in the Super Rugby season.

The faith shown in him was to give him a one year contract (at a far lower rate than his big contract at the Rebels).

This isn't the Catholic Church. In terms of repaying the faith, that only lasts as long as their faith in him lasts (in terms of contract length). He'll never make up for underperforming and behaving poorly at the Rebels. It's pointless for him to think that he has to appease people for those previous mistakes because I don't think anything he can do in the future changes what happened in the past.

im not talking jesuit am i?

he hasn't delivered a title.
he hasn't scored a baking tray worth of pies (metric, not imperial).
he hasn't brought in the big bucks.
he hasn't become the franchise player.

has he put forward a case for a new contract and to be re-signed? sure, but i think you're mistaken in arguing about him being able to quarantine his past in these negotiations given his statement.

he is still less than 12 months away from this 'troubled past' and his performances this year haven't been earth shatteringly brilliant and certainly not to the level that he's in a position to deliver a take it or leave it ultimatum. the very fact he states "if they see it differently" demonstrates my earlier point.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

has he put forward a case for a new contract and to be re-signed? sure, but i think you're mistaken in arguing about him being able to quarantine his past in these negotiations given his statement.

he is still less than 12 months away from this 'troubled past' and his performances this year haven't been earth shatteringly brilliant and certainly not to the level that he's in a position to deliver a take it or leave it ultimatum. the very fact he states "if they see it differently" demonstrates my earlier point.
And I have a feeling his talking about ARU Top up's. His comments leave a bad taste. Which I would have felt for To'omua as well if he came out and said well pay me lots or I'm off.. Add the past he should keep it behind close doors. Something like love to stay but I have to look after my self first.

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
ps which I hope he meant but came out sounding like a wally

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He hasn't done any of those things. What he has done is put in a good Super Rugby season up until now which has helped the Tahs get to where they are on the ladder. In the process he has earned a Wallaby recall and played the June tests off the bench.

I'm not saying he can quarantine his past transgressions but he also can't make up for them. If the Waratahs were expecting his behaviour to remain the same as it was at the Rebels, they wouldn't have signed him in the first place.

Another good year at the Waratahs in 2015 isn't going to make Rebels fans feel any less let down by Beale than they already are or were. He can't change what happened down there, particularly at a different team that is trying to beat them.

It would be different if he was still at the Rebels. Then I certainly think there is an element of him owing them and needing to repay the faith more.

Like any player, he is in a position to seek what he believes he is worth. If he doesn't get that offered to him he's free to go elsewhere just like any other player. The ARU are also perfectly within their rights to say we're not willing to pay you what you want because we feel like we overpaid you in 2011 and 2012. It doesn't mean Beale has to accept that.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Here is, perhaps, a reason for the sudden interest from French clubs in our younger players.
The explanation is twofold. Firstly, clubs have one eye on the JIFF (Joueurs Issus des Filières de Formation) rules that for the 2014-15 season will remain the same as last season. So 55% of each club’s squad must be JIFFs – a player who before the age of 21 has spent either three seasons at a French club’s youth academy or five seasons licenced to play in France.

Recruitment drive: Grenoble have signed six overseas players – more than any other Top 14 club
But from 2015-16 the rules become tighter with the 55% figure still in force but also a fine levied against clubs that fail to field a match-day squad containing a minimum of 12 JIFFs. The season after (2016-17), clubs will have to field at least 14 JIFF players for each game. Consequently clubs have reined in their overseas signings to comply with regulations.
The trend this summer has been for clubs to sign young players as ‘espoirs’ as this category is not included in the salary cap. In the last week alone, Toulon have signed Italy U20 prop Simone Ferrari, Grenoble have given a three year contract to New Zealand U20 loose forward Dylan Hayes and Racing Métro welcomed 21-year-old Pumas lock Tomas Lavanini on a three-year deal described by the club as a ‘mixte espoir/pro’ contract.

Read more at http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries...lubs-cut-foreign-imports/#lzMfy1UWkcifY5so.99
Number of overseas signings per club 2014-15
Grenoble: 6. Montpellier: 5. La Rochelle: 4. Toulon, Oyonnax, Lyon & Clermont: 3. Brive, Toulouse & Racing Metro: 2. Stade Francais: 1. Bayonne, Castres & Bordeaux-Begles: 0.
Where are they from?
New Zealand: 11. South Africa: 8. Australia: 6. Wales: 2. Fiji: 2. England: 2. Ireland: 1. Italy: 1. Fiji: 1.
What position?
Props: 5. Hookers: 2. Second rows: 6. Back rows: 4. Scrum-halves: 1. Fly-halves: 3. Wingers: 5. Centres: 4. Full-backs: 4.

Read more at http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries...lubs-cut-foreign-imports/#lzMfy1UWkcifY5so.99
So they are looking to steal our young players! With the added bonus of the three year residency rule allow them to play for France.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Clever French. Let the rich clubs lure our players away from Wallaby eligibility and voila, Les Bleus will have a fighting chance at the 2019 RWC!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ agree. Just couldn't see Lord Laurie wearing Red and playing a banjo, and he's would never think of crossing that line to be Tah'd for life. The West seem happy with Axel Foley in the medium term, and the gig down south is Totality locked up. No choice other than to go North.

Good luck to him. Just don't give the Soap Dodgers too many trade secrets.

T

Train Without a Station

Grumbles adding fuel to the fire:

Ruck'n Maul has been told that Folau remains interested in playing for one of the world's wealthiest clubs, with the added attraction that his close ally, Cheika, may also be lured to the French Top 14 powerhouse. There is understood to be a push for Bernard Laporte to become Toulon's director of rugby, which would allow Cheika to take over the head coach role - with a lucrative base salary in the range of $US750,000 per year. That would be very, very hard to resist. Cheika is intimate with the French and European rugby scene, having tasted Celtic League and Heineken Cup success with Leinster in Ireland before becoming director of rugby at Stade Francais. Also Folau's position in Australian rugby remains delicate, due to concerns that certain financial promises at both Waratahs and Wallabies level have not been fulfilled. No wonder the Toulon-Folau stories have started to bob up.
http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/231017.html#FEoOzXz4YFIOZv7w.99

Unless Cheika prefers to live in France, can't really see this materialising just based on $$$. Even if it's an extra $250k a season he knows first hand how cut throat the joint is and doesn't have the limited career to worry about like a player.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"may be lured"
"understood to be"
"in the range of"

Nothing has changed in Fatarse Growden's world of journalistic half truths and outright bullshit I see.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ agree. Just couldn't see Lord Laurie wearing Red and playing a banjo, and he's would never think of crossing that line to be Tah'd for life. The West seem happy with Axel Foley in the medium term, and the gig down south is Totality locked up. No choice other than to go North.

Good luck to him. Just don't give the Soap Dodgers too many trade secrets.

Pretty sure he used to live up here. Studied at university of qld I believe.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
"may be lured"
"understood to be"
"in the range of"

Nothing has changed in Fatarse Growden's world of journalistic half truths and outright bullshit I see.

Yeah I seem to remember it being Argentina at the start of the year. I suppose if he tips him to take every coaching position in world rugby he'll get it right eventually.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ha yeah I remember him saying the Argentina deal with very close and now it's Toulon. However this was before SANZAR's fine/suspended sentence which would still be relevant if he was coaching Argentina so that might've changed his mind.. just saying.