• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The resurrection of Aus A would probably have worked in Jack Dempsey's favour had he stayed here. It is a vehicle for players returning from injury as well as those showing promise. Perhaps a pity that didn't happen earlier although as others have pointed out, the backrow seems to be one area of strength with the Wallabies at present.

EDIT : Of course Aus A would also have given others like Hanson and Tuipolutu a chance to show their wares at a higher level as well.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The resurrection of Aus A would probably have worked in Jack Dempsey's favour had he stayed here. It is a vehicle for players returning from injury as well as those showing promise. Perhaps a pity that didn't happen earlier although as others have pointed out, the backrow seems to be one area of strength with the Wallabies at present.

EDIT : Of course Aus A would also have given others like Hanson and Tuipolutu a chance to show their wares at a higher level as well.

Definitely would have been interesting how a player like Dempsey would have approached potential Australia A selection, considering playing for that team would have restarted any Scottish eligibility period.

You wonder at what point down the line a player in his situation starts considering the other options. It is definitely a good way to get some clarity on which players see a future in Australian rugby, for example I know a couple turned down the chance to play this year for future eligibility purposes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Definitely would have been interesting how a player like Dempsey would have approached potential Australia A selection, considering playing for that team would have restarted any Scottish eligibility period.

You wonder at what point down the line a player in his situation starts considering the other options. It is definitely a good way to get some clarity on which players see a future in Australian rugby, for example I know a couple turned down the chance to play this year for future eligibility purposes.
Like we saw with Michael McDonald and others turning down Aus A?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Like we saw with Michael McDonald and others turning down Aus A?
Yep, although I imagine for someone like Dempsey the decision would be harder.

He HAD proven himself at test level with the Wallabies. Would he have backed himself to make it there again? Or take what he may have perceived was an easier option into the Scottish side.

We'll never know. But it does pose some interesting questions and you can see the logic in Australia bringing back the A side with these current eligibly changes that have occurred as a peripheral benefit to the extra match time players are getting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, although I imagine for someone like Dempsey the decision would be harder.

He HAD proven himself at test level with the Wallabies. Would he have backed himself to make it there again? Or take what he may have perceived was an easier option into the Scottish side.

We'll never know. But it does pose some interesting questions and you can see the logic in Australia bringing back the A side with these current eligibly changes that have occurred as a peripheral benefit to the extra match time players are getting.

In my view Dempsey's decision to go offshore was primarily because he reached the end of a current Waratahs contract and the place where his play was at didn't warrant another one at nearly the same dollar value he had been on.

He sought opportunity in Scotland that wasn't available to him here. I doubt Australia A being on the cards would have changed that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone actually know if you’re allowed to change Test teams to a country you only qualify for on 5 years residency?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I don't think you can:

TLDR: both 8.6 Birthright Transfer & 8.7 Olympic Transfer appear to only apply to those born in the country they want to transfer to (8.1(a)) or who qualify for that country by heritage (8.1(b)).

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone actually know if you’re allowed to change Test teams to a country you only qualify for on 5 years residency?

No, you can't.

Birthright Transfer

A Player who has represented one Union (as set out in Regulation 8.2 to 8.4) may apply to represent a new Union provided that:

(i) the Player meets the eligibility criteria set out in Regulation 8.1(a) or 8.1(b) in relation to the new Union; and

(ii) at least three years have passed since the Player last represented their former Union; and

(iii) the approval of World Rugby is obtained.

8.1 (a) and (b) is:

(a) the Player was born; or

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting you need WR (World Rugby) approval, I would've thought if they could veto, this is one they should.

Compared to one like Coleman (or Fekitoa, Folau, Piatau) representing Tonga which is much more in the spirit of the change.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Unless Porch has an Irish parent/grandparent I can't se how it could happen. It's not a case of World Rugby needing to veto it to prevent it, it's a case of them needing to grant a special approval for Porch, one that the rules don't seem to have any provision for.

That said he could absolutely qualify via a grandparent, I've got no idea of his lineage.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
No, you can't.

Birthright Transfer

A Player who has represented one Union (as set out in Regulation 8.2 to 8.4) may apply to represent a new Union provided that:

(i) the Player meets the eligibility criteria set out in Regulation 8.1(a) or 8.1(b) in relation to the new Union; and

(ii) at least three years have passed since the Player last represented their former Union; and

(iii) the approval of World Rugby is obtained.

8.1 (a) and (b) is:

(a) the Player was born; or

(b) one parent or grandparent was born; or
Grandparent should've been removed as a claim when switching teams.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ would instantly disqualify a heap of PI players which is kinda the point of the Transfer concept. The likes of Scotland also benefiting isn't quite an unintended consequence but it's not what drove the change.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
^ I’m unsure of the demographics for New Zealand, but the majority of those who identifly as PI in Australia are first or second generation. It would only be the minority who are third generation/qualify through grandparents. More specifically i don’t think there has been a PI ‘Wallaby’ who wasn’t first or second generation who would miss out through that rule

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Unless Porch has an Irish parent/grandparent I can't se how it could happen. It's not a case of World Rugby needing to veto it to prevent it, it's a case of them needing to grant a special approval for Porch, one that the rules don't seem to have any provision for.

That said he could absolutely qualify via a grandparent, I've got no idea of his lineage.
I think they were talking about WR (World Rugby) vetoing Dempsey's transfer?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I’m unsure of the demographics for New Zealand, but the majority of those who identifly as PI in Australia are first or second generation. It would only be the minority who are third generation/qualify through grandparents. More specifically i don’t think there has been a PI ‘Wallaby’ who wasn’t first or second generation who would miss out through that rule

Can't remember if it was wrt the Transfer clause or a slightly earlier review of Reg 8 but I do remember the PI Player Welfare Ass'n stating that removing the grandparent rule would significantly reduce the player pool for all the PI.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Dempsey to debut for Scotland off the bench

FgFCqOzXwAMNHn0.jpg

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
^ would instantly disqualify a heap of PI players which is kinda the point of the Transfer concept. The likes of Scotland also benefiting isn't quite an unintended consequence but it's not what drove the change.
I get if you are a second generation migrant being able to go home but not third gen