• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Or maybe until they develop fully and get the nuances of senior rugby. Do you even get rugby?
So basically let our best go overseas and let our super teams die... Why don't we get rid of super rugby.. no pro's not worth it as we won't win or attract crowds.. and when we do theyll leave..

We need to have a reason to stay Wallabies are it.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
geez if you can't get your point across without childish insults, you might as well learn to spell it right.
Think my point was pretty clear.. Sorry shouldn't insult you. But SA super rugby is struggling for talent and our pool of players is so much smaller.. we had 1 team make money last year wks.. you think playing kids will get us better local games..

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's sad that no Australian business is willing to fork out some big coin to sponsor Cummins and keep him in Australia. I would have thought his market value would be so much higher here that it would make up for the difference in rugby salary.

Money was only part of it, he also plays a much shorter season in Japan for what he's getting so he can spend more time with his family to help out otherwise.

T

Train Without a Station

It's always frustrating the way media incorrectly reports things:

The drain is expected to become a flood after the World Cup, leaving the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) with concerns about the quality of the local product at a time when the game is struggling to pay the bills.

Unlike neighbours New Zealand, whose obsession with the game has driven the All Blacks to two World Cups and the world number one ranking, rugby struggles to compete with rival football codes for fans and broadcast dollars in Australia.​
Australian Rules football and rugby league dominate the landscape, with the fledgling A-League soccer competition also threatening rugby's share.​

Whilst we are not ranked number one and have not been for a while, we still have managed to win two world cups and now have developed more depth than ever through an additional 2 Super Rugby teams since.

A poor national team is what affects us two-fold. Firstly when you are in a shit team with shit culture, people actually want to leave. Secondly it affects support.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It is concerning when blokes like Cowan are also talking about the OS stint.

Izzy refusing to commit after 2015.

It is a worry

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This thread is like a fucking car crash. Don't want to see the details but can't look away.

Anyway, I noticed that the narrative I ascribe to this OS contracts nonsense is one of cashed-up French/Japanese clubs poaching our best talent.

The reality is that it's a 50/50 proposition, with our players and their managers actively pimping their wares to potential employers. With the obvious exception of The Badge, I'd say most of them are quite happy to solicit themselves in other markets.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is concerning when blokes like Cowan are also talking about the OS stint.

Izzy refusing to commit after 2015.

It is a worry

Of course it's a worry but players committed beyond 2015 anywhere are few and far between.

Most contracts end up being two year deals so the only people we've seen sign until the end of 2016 lately are people who were coming off contract in 2014 and have just re-signed (such as Joe Tomane).

Losing players overseas is absolutely a worry but it doesn't seem like there is much that can be done to stop it at the moment. The ARU has to ensure the Wallabies are strong. The drawcard of playing for Australia will always be the best thing they can offer.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
certainly the case for young blokes. The equation may change once a player has achieved his initial goal of playing for the Wallabies, has built an international repuatation and has a high market value outside Aussie

R

Redsfan

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there is one (more hopeful) reason that many players have not yet committed beyond 2015. With a number of high-profile Wobs (allegedly) heading overseas, I imagine that many players are holding off signing until then, to see what slice of the top-up pie they can expect.

You'd be mad to sign now, as a player (or perhaps more importantly, as a manager acting on a player's behalf), when there's the possibility of a much bigger contract for the same services in just a few months.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Maybe they are signing too 2015 to then have A crack at 7s Olympic Gold.. Can someone make the sevens team not living in Oz ?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just a thought. What if Australia and NZ, in the lead up to the JRWC every year, held an international fixture between Aus A and Junior AllBlacks. The players that run on the park just happen to all be from their corresponding U20 squad. They get capped and are no longer eligible for France as "development" players. If they don't want to play the fixture they mysteriously don't end up going to the JRWC.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
You're probably right TWOS but perhaps there's a borderline ethical solution somehow. Both nations are worried about losing their young players to France now that they've got new rules that class development players as local players. In some way could we not at least have one Aus A fixture per year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Capping players to prevent them prevent them representing another nation cannot be the solution. We have a moral obligation to nations like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga.

How many players have we lost as French development players actually?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

To my knowledge, two under 20s players (one who was at the JWC but didn't have a proper Super Rugby contract (Foketi) one who didn't make the JWC squad (Natoli)) have signed in France and all of a sudden people are jumping at shadows.

I think all these situations are still a wait and see proposition.

I can't imagine taking actions to limit the career opportunities of our young players would be viewed as a positive thing by the players.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Just a thought. What if Australia and NZ, in the lead up to the JRWC every year, held an international fixture between Aus A and Junior AllBlacks. The players that run on the park just happen to all be from their corresponding U20 squad. They get capped and are no longer eligible for France as "development" players. If they don't want to play the fixture they mysteriously don't end up going to the JRWC.

Or just make Aust 20's our second team. Australia A never play any games so it wouldn't have a huge effect on that team. Wales A are their second team so it's not like it doesn't happen. I guess part of the issue is that we end up with players from other countries U20's being capped for us and they might make their 20's team their second team too.