• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, he's a Club standard Prop and that's what the MLR is. Prop is a hard one in Europe. You can get away with being a below standard lock/backrower and getting a job but not in the Front Row.

Good on him for getting the most out of his ability I guess. Get some travel in and milk it for all it's worth.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, he's a Club standard Prop and that's what the MLR is. Prop is a hard one in Europe. You can get away with being a below standard lock/backrower and getting a job but not in the Front Row.

Good on him for getting the most out of his ability I guess. Get some travel in and milk it for all it's worth.

If only their was some comp in aus he could come back to after the end of season & earn a wage & develop

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Speaking of, Champion De Crispgney is off contract. Not sure I'd stretch to get him into a Super team. Would love Reece Hewat back here though, he's killing it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Agree re Zander, but interestingly I know one of the Brisbane based sports management companies put forward a number of their best QPR guys to the MLR this offseason and I don't believe any got the nod.

Unsure if that's more to do with the MLR building depth or the allowance for Aussies players and costs etc.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Some sides definitely seem to have a preference. Dallas is full of Argentinians, Houston was full of South Africans. I think some of the sides would rather not sign 3 Club players and go for 1 older former star like NY did with Ben Foden and Andy Ellis and then back fill the rest with locals. San Diego have Giteau and Nonu back this year.

Seems who you know can get you a gig there as well. Guys like Finn Kearns, Alex Horan and Christian Poidevin would struggle to make 1st grade.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seems who you know can get you a gig there as well. Guys like Finn Kearns, Alex Horan and Christian Poidevin would struggle to make 1st grade.
Not sure about Kearns, but Horan and Poidevin both had a couple of seasons of NRC under their belt which would've definitely helped justify a contract above and beyond a club player. Horan even had a super contract with the Sunwolves

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, True. Zander played NRC and had a Reds contract for 4 years... Not shitting on them but there would be guys in Club land as good who don't get the shot.

Hope some of these guys don't just stop playing because they don't get a go somewhere by 23. It's already hard to find a 1st Grader with some grey hair. Also harder to keep following when the names change each year.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Shame Paul didn’t stay in aus and choose aus over Samoa I think Bob Dwyer called him a star in the making back when he was like 21. Said he was built to scrummage
Aussie props aren't valued very highly. See Cameron Orr. Scott Sio isn't really dominating either like he did back here.

Exception to the rule, Paul Alo-Emile is absolutely killing it, top three props in France IMO

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
haven’t see much on him recently, bulked up since last seasons though. Isn’t overly quick but seems a strong ball carrier.
He has had a pretty indifferent season as far as I'm aware, struggling to find form after injury. Hopefully the English establishment have already settled on other wingers.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He has had a pretty indifferent season as far as I'm aware, struggling to find form after injury. Hopefully the English establishment have already settled on other wingers.
He's not good enough to justify Rugby Australia breaking the bank to entice him to play for Australia. Unless he's willing to come over for a slightly above average Super Rugby contract, we should look to spend that money elsewhere.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree. I know he's been on the periphery of the English squad at times and seemed due for cap but is he any better than the Lachie Anderson, Dylan Pietsch level Winger? Super Rugby starter yes I have little doubt but not sure we should be breaking the bank as you say.

Hopefully he wants to come to Aus if his Brother has been giving him good feedback. Never say no to more talent here but it has to be on him.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think anyone is calling for RA to "break the bank" to get him home, but I thought it was worth celebrating his return to form given there were reports out of the UK a couple of weeks ago that Harlequins won't be re-signing him and he's looking to come back to Australia to push for the Wallabies.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

He's actually been pretty good when given his opportunity, has been passed in the depth chart & at best is a 23.

If he comes to aus he wont be getting an RA top up it will be for an opportunity to maybe be a wallaby because atm he is no chance of playing for eng

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
In his favour is the fact Wing is a position some of our sides need. Force & Brumbies on the Skinny side in terms of them from my POV.

He's definitely filled out. Hope his Brother can get a bit of that

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
From what I have seen he is suited to fullback, but plays wing because Tyrone Green is the established fullback. In saying that I guess if he is not being re-signed that says something in itself.