• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
TOCC, what's the point of what you're saying? There's nothing to be done about it. If you want to play for the Wallabies then you're going to have to travel and spend substantial time away from home. But still a lot less than international cricketers, tennis players and formula 1 drivers among others.

I'm not saying it isn't difficult for some players, just that it isn't the impossible burden that some people paint it as. First with regard to the actual physical effect of traveling and now on the emotional effect.

Also, for some players, particularly the younger unattached ones, the travel is a perk! There really aren't many players that leave Australian rugby because of the travel.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The point is it's completely understandable why players are willing to give up on the Wallabies to play in Europe.........

- More money
- Less travel
- More time at home
- Living in a much better/far more interesting part of the world
- More money

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
As someone who is away for around four months a year with work I can attest they are as bad as each other, travelling for 3 or 4 days every two weeks is just as much a burden as been away for a 3 week stretch.. Especially if it's multiple connecting flights and a hectic schedule.

The point is you are still away from home, you miss out on birthdays and special occasions, which is especially pertinent for those with families, but it's also fatiguing as you lack a set schedule and travel through/work within multiple time zones.

There's no denying the travel burden that Super Rugby players are put through, a Wallaby who plays all tests and super rugby matches could be away from home for up to 4 or 5 months a year.. There's few other codes which equal that travel schedule.

If you don't like long trips, then make a nice bakery at home, because to play in the Super Rugby you have to travel a lot. And if you don't have good seasons in Super Rugby, nobody in Europe will want to hire you. And if you want a wage like Dan Carter or Matt Giteau you have to travel many many miles with the Wallaby jersey

Kiwis are also subjected to extensive travels of Super Rugby, also the Rugby Championship schedule and the Spring Tour. And you see top class players like Richie McCaw or Conrad Smith playing Super Rugby when they could earn 3 times more money in Europe.

So all young players who prefer European money, we don't need you, I don't want you to come home.

So we have to make a special mention for James O'Connor. He returns for love of gold jersey. He could stay in Europe and make more money, but he wants to win the World Cup for his country.

The Poms love him, all London Irish supporters talk well about him. The French adore him but he is committed with the gold jersey.

I don't care who say he's a fucking drunk, he loves the Wallabies as few. Thanks James by return home to defend the colors of your country.

T

TOCC

Omar claimed that Super Rugby players are only away from home for 3 weeks.. I made the point that it's longer..

Omar, this is all relative to the thread since many players have used 'time away from home' as a reason for heading overseas, including the Wallabies captain from 2013..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mowen was not offered a top up.
That means the then wallaby coach did not think hims essential to his plans.
That was the trigger for him looking overseas.

T

TOCC

perhaps, money is always a critical factor..
"But being away for so long [with the Wallabies and the Brumbies], it was a bridge too far. It's time to put my family first, that's the most important thing. I'm extremely thankful for the opportunities I've had, but the reality is it is time to put my family first and have quality time together."

McKenzie said the Australian Rugby Union had made a concerted effort to keep Mowen, saying "we've been talking about contracts and things for some time, going back as far as June last year ... there's been a lot of discussions about a contract to stay" but he denied the departure of his Wallabies captain flagged a worry that players now were "choosing money over the green and gold".

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/210533.html#AIcSfP9IchoboEEg.99

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I read that quote as supporting the view that Mowen wanted to stay but he was getting the message that he wasn't an indispensable cog in wallaby plans.
I think its pretty rare for any of these blokes to leave for the money - it does happen but there's usually more to the picture.
The simple reason is that the money they earn in europe is not going to make the difference in their retirement from rugby. They'll still have to work. So its just a final sojourn before they have to live like the rest of us - if you have young kids it would be a great way to watch them grow up before coming back and doing the sport on channel 10.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although I've just spent some couch time watching Grenoble and Stade Francais in the Top 14. Apart from providing come excellent commentary on the match, David Lyons noted how many Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas were coming to the Top 14 and used Grenoble as an example. Inter alia, he said that Top 14 clubs were no longer only targeting internationals on their way out, but they were now also targeting younger guys at super level and possibly below. This is particularly so in the middle to lower ranked Top 14 clubs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Although I've just spent some couch time watching Grenoble and Stade Francais in the Top 14. Apart from providing come excellent commentary on the match, David Lyons noted how many Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas were coming to the Top 14 and used Grenoble as an example. Inter alia, he said that Top 14 clubs were no longer only targeting internationals on their way out, but they were now also targeting younger guys at super level and possibly below. This is particularly so in the middle to lower ranked Top 14 clubs.

my understanding is they've gone even further and they're looking at juniors from the pacific islands

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
my understanding is they've gone even further and they're looking at juniors from the pacific islands

Mali Hingano (Manly and NH Rays) is now at La Rochelle on a good contract and the 6 from Grenoble today was Henry Vanderglas (ex Brumbies). They're 2 just from the top of my head. The French Top 14 is full of young Aussies who either were borderline super players who have gone for any or all of: money, lifestyle, opportunity, lack of travel or family.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If you love something, set it free.

If it returns, it's yours. It it doesn't, it was never meant to be.

ENG legend, Martin Johnson spent time in heartland NZ to learn his trade, even being selected for the NZ Under 21's before he returned to the UK.

IIRC, others from NH such as JP Rives (FRA), and Peter Winterbottom (ENG) have also done likewise in the past. UK Policeman John Gallagher even won a RWC medal with NZ in 1987.

Some of those "up and comers" on contracts in NH will be back, especially if they reckon they are good enough for a gig in the Gold Jumper. When they return, they will be better for their overseas experience.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
This is a completely subjective opinion of mine, but when I watched a recent hour length documentary on Ben Mowen shifting to France, I really got the impression that it was his wife behind the move (and by extension family). He would say something like, "I value the gold jersey immensely and it was always a dream of mine". But then she'd interject something like "Except one must really look out for the family". Which speaks volumes to me if Mowen only had to look after himself, he would have been around a lot longer.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is a completely subjective opinion of mine, but when I watched a recent hour length documentary on Ben Mowen shifting to France, I really got the impression that it was his wife behind the move (and by extension family). He would say something like, "I value the gold jersey immensely and it was always a dream of mine". But then she'd interject something like "Except one must really look out for the family". Which speaks volumes to me if Mowen only had to look after himself, he would have been around a lot longer.

I saw it too.
Not under Link or Cheika.
Mali Hingano (Manly and NH Rays) is now at La Rochelle on a good contract and the 6 from Grenoble today was Henry Vanderglas (ex Brumbies). They're 2 just from the top of my head. The French Top 14 is full of young Aussies who either were borderline super players who have gone for any or all of: money, lifestyle, opportunity, lack of travel or family.

Im talking u15 year olds

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe his wife is the voice of reason.

It is great that he loved playing for his country, but maybe she pointed out that he can set his family up for life and never have to work again.

I would hate to think that he would just do what he wants and not consider his family.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Mowen was not offered a top up.
That means the then wallaby coach did not think hims essential to his plans.
That was the trigger for him looking overseas.

Too hard to say that. Wallabies players aren't offered top ups until they have played consistently for two years at international level, which he of course did not.