• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well we know that SRA games rated in Australia at about the same level that Kiwi derbies did in Super Rugby, which is much less that former Super Rugby games involving an Australian team. IMO a TT doesn't allow for enough Australian games, particularly Aus v Aus games for an Australian audience. This significantly reduces its value to broadcasters in Australia.

I agree with your second paragraph in broad terms, which is why I've been fairly consistent in saying that a domestic league is the way to go because the wages are going to fall regardless of the format and we might as well use it to build for the future. TT just puts us back in the same place in 5 years time.

EDIT: And I would add that if the 2nd level i.e. the current Super Rugby level, ends up being semi-pro as seems increasingly likely how can it possibly include flying teams to and from NZ? Any semi-pro competition can only be viable if it's purely a domestic Australian product.
A semi-professional comp isn't even viable within Australia. It literally means going back to club rugby. The flight to NZ is about the same as the flight to Brisbane or Melbourne from Sydney.

At most, you could probably throw together a couple of Australian club champion games at the end of the season.

If it actually comes to that I'll wipe my hands of the sport.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
EDIT: And I would add that if the 2nd level i.e. the current Super Rugby level, ends up being semi-pro as seems increasingly likely how can it possibly include flying teams to and from NZ? Any semi-pro competition can only be viable if it's purely a domestic Australian product.

The NRC as a third tier semi - pro at best comp, flies teams to Fiji and WA (as well as melb - bris etc.), Im assuming any domestic comp would also require this. This is more costly (and longer) for a 8/10 team domestic comp than 3/4 teams to NZ for a TT comp

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Read in media that they think broadcast deal and hence competition will be agreed within 6-8 weeks...really can they achieve that!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The NRC as a third tier semi - pro at best comp, flies teams to Fiji and WA (as well as melb - bris etc.), Im assuming any domestic comp would also require this. This is more costly (and longer) for a 8/10 team domestic comp than 3/4 teams to NZ for a TT comp

NRC is wholly funded by Foxtel and I'd doubt it will happen again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Your negativity is fucking tiresome. A TT comp is perfectly viable, and a broadcast deal to televise it is as well. No it's not going to be what we are getting - but a 30 year regression back to amateurism isn't really on the cards.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Your negativity is fucking tiresome. A TT comp is perfectly viable, and a broadcast deal to televise it is as well. No it's not going to be what we are getting - but a 30 year regression back to amateurism isn't really on the cards.

Dear oh dear, so when you oppose or criticise something you're just giving your view, but if someone criticises your view it's negative.

I've noticed that you don't like messages with don't accord with your rugby world view, any journo who proposes something you disagree with is also attacked.

I notice that you rarely ever provide any evidence to support what you disagree with. I didn't realise that there was any dispute with the notion that the NRC was fully funded by Foxtel. Given your well known antipathy for News Corp, Foxtel and Murdoch I would have thought that you'd be cheering at the thought of it's discontinuance.

I'll give you a tip, if you don't like reading what I post, just scroll over it. Or better still block me and you won't even have to do that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dear oh dear, so when you oppose or criticise something you're just giving your view, but if someone criticises your view it's negative.

I've noticed that you don't like messages with don't accord with your rugby world view, any journo who proposes something you disagree with is also attacked.

I notice that you rarely ever provide any evidence to support what you disagree with. I didn't realise that there was any dispute with the notion that the NRC was fully funded by Foxtel. Given your well known antipathy for News Corp, Foxtel and Murdoch I would have thought that you'd be cheering at the thought of it's discontinuance.

I'll give you a tip, if you don't like reading what I post, just scroll over it. Or better still block me and you won't even have to do that.
True.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)

I am backing a TT comp for no other reason that its the best idea plus it will be hilarious to watch QH loose his shit. He may drop one of those chips if not careful.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

This ignores the fact that a 8/10 team domestic comp that I assume includes WA/Perth (further than NZ) and potentially others Fiji/PI team/s (further than NZ) would require more air travel and be more costly than for 3/4 teams in a TT comp. Negating the original argument.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
This ignores the fact that a 8/10 team domestic comp that I assume includes WA/Perth (further than NZ) and potentially others Fiji/PI team/s (further than NZ) would require more air travel and be more costly than for 3/4 teams in a TT comp. Negating the original argument.

Careful that’s logic. QH doesn’t deal with that well

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I

QH, I pretty much agree with your position on the end Super Rugby as we know it, the doubts about the acceptance of a TT to most Aussies due to limited number of games Involving Aussie teams, and a domestic competition being the way forward, I am also put off by the negativity towards RA in particular that comes through persistently in your posts. I want RA to do the best deal they can for next year and beyond. While I favour a domestic competition I cannot say that I know that would best. I am prepared to wait and see if that's the way they go or if they come to a different conclusion.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Among the 210 pages here I suspect that someone has already pointed out the RA Gitteau rule is a major hinderance to the development fo the game. Players have a limited life and will ensure their futures over a Wallabies jersey. In fact some Aust school boys have played for other countries or moved like Creighton to the NRL so we have lost them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I

QH, I pretty much agree with your position on the end Super Rugby as we know it, the doubts about the acceptance of a TT to most Aussies due to limited number of games Involving Aussie teams, and a domestic competition being the way forward, I am also put off by the negativity towards RA in particular that comes through persistently in your posts. I want RA to do the best deal they can for next year and beyond. While I favour a domestic competition I cannot say that I know that would best. I am prepared to wait and see if that's the way they go or if they come to a different conclusion.

Noe of us 'know' what is best. All we can do is give our opinions, which is what these threads are for, and at the end of the day the choice/s will be made by RA. We're all in wait and see mode.