• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Steve Hoiles on between 2 posts said a couple of interesting things, said he was going back to LA to hopefully coach a team that he doesnt know who the owner is or what they will be called. Looks like Gilchrist is out of ownership of rugby teams. Hopefully he is not lost to the game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Steve Hoiles on between 2 posts said a couple of interesting things, said he was going back to LA to hopefully coach a team that he doesnt know who the owner is or what they will be called. Looks like Gilchrist is out of ownership of rugby teams. Hopefully he is not lost to the game.
Hoiles or Gilchrist?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The MLR is definitely the most unknown factor in terms of rugby comps for Aussies.

I spoke to a number of SS coaches before season 2022 started and many were quite distressed at the number of players in key positions they lost to MLR, specifically front rowers.

It’s great that young Aussie club players get the opportunity to play footy and be paid. But from a development perspective I think the comp is still a bit of a black hole. The standard isn’t good enough yet to look at blokes killing it there and drag them back.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Why not? it was almost out of season for club rugby players & he wasn't taking players from Super Rugby squad sides.
We don't need owners going broke a couple of years in, being investigated for dodgy corporate dealings and and attempting to weaponize the ownership of one team when the other cops a ruling that their unhappy with. It'll be interesting to see how this effects MLR, but the collapse of f45 and the sides they were baking is reminiscent of the firepower saga. I also hate the whole naming a couple of teams after yourself and a classic cocktail, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as the specific recruitment of Australians goes, I don't think they were pulling too many guys away from super squads, but I'm not sure the impacts would've been too positive long term either. Either way the focus on Australian players in those teams was probably more down to the coaches - Coleman/Hoiles at the Giltinis (with Adam Freier as GM) and Sam Harris at the Gilgronis.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Tom Banks confirmed at Honda Heat (Japan) together with Pablo Matera today

FcLPCD2aAAAO-Gg.jpg