• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The exiles certainly love an aussie, good luck to him getting a pro gig

EXILE.jpg

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
English heritage?

Don't know but normally its mentioned when someone signs if they qualify for a 2nd country.

Side note I watched the highlights of a Ealing game over christmas & the commentators were saying the Tizanno was by far the best player in the rfu championship. Shame he didn't go to Zebre he possibly could have played for Italy in the 6N

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't know but normally its mentioned when someone signs if they qualify for a 2nd country.

Side note I watched the highlights of a Ealing game over christmas & the commentators were saying the Tizanno was by far the best player in the rfu championship. Shame he didn't go to Zebre he possibly could have played for Italy in the 6N

I believe he's leading try scorer? Must really like the training facilities.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Does he qualify through any family being born there? Italians pick from outside the club sides in Italy though don't they? He'd be a great addition to their squad.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Does he qualify through any family being born there? Italians pick from outside the club sides in Italy though don't they? He'd be a great addition to their squad.

Italy do pick from outside, like Garbisi now plays at Montpellier & Monty has come back home here. But I hardly think they would pick a bloke out off the championship even though Ealing prob would knock off Zebre atm

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I know that this is a aussie 'Player' exodus, but what of coaches? Does anyone know what Andy Friends next move is? He's stepping down as director of rugby for Connacht at the end of this season.

He has a wealth of experience which would probably land him another plumb job in Japan if he wants it, but it would be great to see him return to Australia.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I know that this is a aussie 'Player' exodus, but what of coaches? Does anyone know what Andy Friends next move is? He's stepping down as director of rugby for Connacht at the end of this season.

He has a wealth of experience which would probably land him another plumb job in Japan if he wants it, but it would be great to see him return to Australia.
I think he's been pretty unhappy with the way things are run in Australia since he left, but he has coached with Eddie in the past, I wonder if he's on the radar for his coaching staff?

Otherwise I won't be surprised if there are a couple of Australian super rugby sides looking for new coaches next year (Rebels and maybe the Reds), he could be an option for either.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think he's been pretty unhappy with the way things are run in Australia since he left, but he has coached with Eddie in the past, I wonder if he's on the radar for his coaching staff?

Otherwise I won't be surprised if there are a couple of Australian super rugby sides looking for new coaches next year (Rebels and maybe the Reds), he could be an option for either.
Yes, but there has also been a bit of a turnover at RA and a lot of the SuperRugby clubs since he left. A lot of players have spoken well of him and he did a real good job of improving Connacht who were in a pretty poor state when he came in.

We talk about player pathways, but I think our Coaching pathways are just as (if not more) important.

After Ireland, some nice Queensland weather might be appealing? :)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yes, but there has also been a bit of a turnover at Rugby Australia and a lot of the SuperRugby clubs since he left. A lot of players have spoken well of him and he did a real good job of improving Connacht who were in a pretty poor state when he came in.

We talk about player pathways, but I think our Coaching pathways are just as (if not more) important.

After Ireland, some nice Queensland weather might be appealing? :)
I can't see how it wouldn't appeal, but I do think Melbourne is probably more likely if he is already in the process of looking for his next gig - in my mind they're both more likely to pull the trigger on a new coach and to do it sooner in the season. Whether or not Thorn goes probably won't be decided until the finals, and the big question there will be around Cordingly's future as well, so it might drag on a while. There's every chance Friend would already be another role by then.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I can't see how it wouldn't appeal, but I do think Melbourne is probably more likely if he is already in the process of looking for his next gig - in my mind they're both more likely to pull the trigger on a new coach and to do it sooner in the season. Whether or not Thorn goes probably won't be decided until the finals, and the big question there will be around Cordingly's future as well, so it might drag on a while. There's every chance Friend would already be another role by then.
Yes, I agree that Melbourne makes the most sense currently. Friend has significantly more experience than Foote and the Rebels are a club who I don't feel have ever achieved their potential. Dave Wessels never really got them to hum, with that 2019 season being particularly disappointing.

I guess it also depends what role he is after. A HT coaching gig or something more akin to Director of Rugby.

Has there been talk of Cordingly moving on? How long has he been at the Red's now?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yes, I agree that Melbourne makes the most sense currently. Friend has significantly more experience than Foote and the Rebels are a club who I don't feel have ever achieved their potential. Dave Wessels never really got them to hum, with that 2019 season being particularly disappointing.

I guess it also depends what role he is after. A HT coaching gig or something more akin to Director of Rugby.

Has there been talk of Cordingly moving on? How long has he been at the Red's now?
Not so much talk as the fact that Cordingley and Thorn's fate are pretty closely linked. Cordingley has been General Manager of Rugby Operations (or something like that) since 2014, and has been one of Thorn's strongest supporters. He's also heavily involved in player contracting and I think carries much of the baggage around the breakdown of relationship with Picone. He's also been not so well regarded by some at RA, though I'm not sure how many of those are still there/will be into this year. Possibly one could go without the other, but that looks pretty unlikely at this stage, at least if it's a sacking. It could be that the departures a separated by a year or so though.

The flip side is a strong season from the Reds is entirely possible (I think a lot of people are underestimating them) and that could see Thorn renewed for a few more years, committing to the long term planning they've been working towards. The main decision point for that is probably going to be making the semi finals, though there will probably be some important key indicators/milestones along the way (home wins, beating a kiwi side, etc.).

Foote's path to retention is harder I think, the Rebels will probably need to make the finals or at least be in contention right up until the end of the season. An improved Drua and/or Moana could make that a hard path for them, particularly given the way they look to be affected by squad changes, injuries and wallaby rest. Certainly I think the Rebels will be keen to move on quickly and snap up an experienced coach if there is one like Friend available to them.