• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What's the go on Cabous' eligibility? Is this the year? Or 2025? I have him comfortably top 4.
2025 as far as I'm aware, arrived in Melbourne from the bulls for the start of 2020 pre-season. Might technically be a late 2019 arrival for 2024 eligibility but that would be after the test season has finished. That may help keep him around for another year if he doesn't see South African representation as an option and wants to play internationally, particularly given England wouldn't look much more likely an option after 5 years residence.

Edit: Actually it looks like he was in Melbourne late November 2019:

So he could technically get capped on this years Northern tour, though he'd probably have to be committed to an Aus super team going forward for that to happen

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the go on Cabous' eligibility? Is this the year? Or 2025? I have him comfortably top 4.

Eloff's last recorded game I can find in South Africa was the U21 Provincial Championship Final, which took place on 07/09/19.

By 29/11/19, Rebels had published this article: https://melbournerebels.rugby/news/2019/11/29/get-to-know-cabous-eloff which suggests he was in Australia for at least a few weeks.

By those metrics he's probably eligible in the AIs.

Needs to actually outperform Gibbo and IAK though, unless you're hastily going to throw together an "A" Fixture against Spain or something solely as a capture game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Eloff's last recorded game I can find in South Africa was the U21 Provincial Championship Final, which took place on 07/09/19.

By 29/11/19, Rebels had published this article: https://melbournerebels.rugby/news/2019/11/29/get-to-know-cabous-eloff which suggests he was in Australia for at least a few weeks.

By those metrics he's probably eligible in the AIs.

Needs to actually outperform Gibbo and IAK though, unless you're hastily going to throw together an "A" Fixture against Spain or something solely as a capture game.
Looks like arrival was one and half weeks before that article was written and he arrived on the first day of preseason:
Eloff arrived in Melbourne on day one of the Club's preseason, uprooting his whole life to chase his Super Rugby dream in a foreign country.

However, an aspect Eloff has already noticed in his one and half weeks of being at the Club is the extreme professionalism which entails the Melbourne Rebels on-field program.
So probably arrived on Monday the 18th or Tuesday the 19th of November, likely only eligible for the 4th and final week of the Autumn Internationals (and potential bonus test beyond). I can't see him touring unless he's signed to an Australian side for 2025 given the fast approaching lions tour.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
GPS schools in Brisbane really trying to make rugby cool again with schoolboys.

Sean Graham doing some good things at Nudgee and that coaching staff for Grammar is stacked. I believe a number of the guys mentioned are doing the 2nds.
Yeah Hegarty and Dumigan are coaching the 2nds.

Nice to see Bryce getting involved in the coaching world too.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
There are few St Kevins lads on here who love to watch our old boy Sione Tuipulotu on the big stage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
fresh-prince-room.gif

Highlander35 waiting for the Riverview and St Kevins old boys to arrive at the Scotland game watch party.

Attachments

• fresh-prince-room.gif
    fresh-prince-room.gif
    383 KB · Views: 22

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)

If this ends up coming true I am hoping that Wilson and Tuipolotu get some decent minutes this year in the centres- in particular Tuipolotu who let's face it is going to have Scotland throwing lots of cash at him.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

If this ends up coming true I am hoping that Wilson and Tuipolotu get some decent minutes this year in the centres- in particular Tuipolotu who let's face it is going to have Scotland throwing lots of cash at him.

So one of Australia's best coaches (McKellar) looking to pinch one of Australia's best Centres - a microcosm of Australian Rugby's issues - SHRINK TO GREATNESS :)

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
these days its almost a good result we lose them to rugby overseas. Means they arent lost to jail rugby. I find it nauseating when the slackjawed league media crow when we lose one - almost unbearable.
We'll get him back - look at Harry Potter and how he developed os.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Already tried once. This news isn't all that surprising with JS still on the horizon who seems like a 13 to me even if they give him a couple of games on the Wing to start.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

Depends on your definition of lots of cash. Much better than what he could get at the same stage of his career here yes, but almost certainly not in Glasgow's top half of earners.

From Sione's interview on Ryan Wilson's podcast pre - 6 Nations, it sounded like the SRU had stopped pursuing Mo for the 24-25 season at his preference, but youngest brother Ottavio (front rower currently belonging to Rebels Academy) was much closer to making a move.

Of course, that was all pre-Rebels shenangins, so who knows.