• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yes it is. It wasn't in the past but when Argentina joined the RC it changed so they would be able to access their players.
Thanks OC - inspired by you, I looked it up

If anyone is interested it's Regulation 9 of the World Rugby Handbook

For Aus players the international windows are:
  • 3 weekends in June
  • 3 weekends in November
  • 6 weeks out of 8 from the 3rd weekend in Aug until 1st weekend in Oct
Comparing with the OS comps you'd miss
  • most of the Group stages of the Japanese Top League (~6 out of 14 games total)
  • ~9 rounds out of 26 of the Top 14 . (Challenge Cup and Champions Cup wouldn't be affected)
Your offseason would have to coincide with the last rounds of Super Rugby and finals

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Has he played as well as Genia did at his best?

Two different types of half backs I think. Genia's big threat is his running game and ability to cover at the back. That's his big advantage over Phipps when he's fit and in form. What Phipps has really improved on is speed to the breakdown and quick distribution of the ball. I believe he has a significant advantage over Genia in that department now, because Will's pass has deteriorated over the last couple of years. He meerkats and crabs too much these days.

Will at his best was the best half back in the world or close to it, but we haven't consistently seen that for a couple of years. I think Phipps has overtaken him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Two different types of half backs I think. Genia's big threat is his running game and ability to cover at the back. That's his big advantage over Phipps when he's fit and in form. What Phipps has really improved on is speed to the breakdown and quick distribution of the ball. I believe he has a significant advantage over Genia in that department now, because Will's pass has deteriorated over the last couple of years. He meerkats and crabs too much these days.

Will at his best was the best half back in the world or close to it, but we haven't consistently seen that for a couple of years. I think Phipps has overtaken him.

I don't think Genia's cover defence was ever as good as Phipps' was last year. Some of his cover tackles were mercurial. Kept the Tahs in the final with his double plus some real scorchers in the tests.

Genia does have a better catching/kicking game in the backfield; though it has gone downhill since 2011 like the rest of his game. Phipps role, particularly at the Tahs, doesn't seem to have him doing much of this which is usually carried out by Beale, Izzy and the winger.

T

TOCC

Genia at his peak is one of the best halfbacks in the world, it's obviously been long time since he was at his peak, but I don't think you could say the same about Phipps or White been the worlds best, or maybe they haven't displayed their best yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Neither White nor Phipps shows the potential that Genia did early in his career.

Agree but may prove to be more consistent over a long period

Will's best year was 2011. And he deservedly took the mantle of "worlds best halfback" Since then he has shown only some glimpses of his ability.

Yep an injury or two doesn't help but he just seemed (to me) to lose his mojo.

Hope he gets it back in 2015

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't think Genia's cover defence was ever as good as Phipps' was last year. Some of his cover tackles were mercurial. Kept the Tahs in the final with his double plus some real scorchers in the tests.

Genia does have a better catching/kicking game in the backfield; though it has gone downhill since 2011 like the rest of his game. Phipps role, particularly at the Tahs, doesn't seem to have him doing much of this which is usually carried out by Beale, Izzy and the winger.

That's what I was referring to, yeah. His positioning is quite remarkable.

I agree that Phipps has been pretty fantastic on D.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Genia at his peak is one of the best halfbacks in the world, it's obviously been long time since he was at his peak, but I don't think you could say the same about Phipps or White been the worlds best, or maybe they haven't displayed their best yet.

Bernie Larkham is on record as saying Nic is one of the best two No 9s in the world. I would hazard he is a better judge than most of us, even if he does have a bit of bias going on in that assessment. Personally, I wouldn't rate him quite so highly, but I wouldn't back my judgement against Bernie's either.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Nic White , kicking well, playing Jakeball, can be terrific.

Under 2 different national coaches his style of play has probably has come up short.

Is he a good enthusiastic half - shit yeah . Larkhams assessment seems to have a touch of Brumbism thrown in.

T

TOCC

Bernie Larkham is on record as saying Nic is one of the best two No 9s in the world. I would hazard he is a better judge than most of us, even if he does have a bit of bias going on in that assessment. Personally, I wouldn't rate him quite so highly, but I wouldn't back my judgement against Bernie's either.

I don't think it's necessarily bias, but coaches will say certain things to get the best out of their players..

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't know how much bias is involved in Larkham's assessment but White had a standout year for the Brumbies in 2014. He led the side in offloads, line break assists and try assists (led Super rugby for Try assists). Not bad for someone playing jakeball and kicking all the time. If it was Larkhams intention to get the best out of him it then the timing appears a little off given the statement was recent rather it would appear to based on his performances during 2014.
On the issue of defence whilst Phipps had a wonderful super season for the Waratahs his defense in gold was not a highlight especially the Argentina games and not on the EOYT imo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Getting back to the exodus...........

Bernard Foley tipped to join exodus from Australian rugby union
Bret Harris

WALLABIES five-eighth Bernard Foley is expected to join the exodus of Australian players heading overseas after the World Cup in England this year.

Foley stated recently he was open to overseas offers and a reliable source has told The Australian that the NSW Waratahs No 10 was bound for Japan.

He would join a growing list of Australians heading overseas, including Adam Ashley-Cooper, James Horwill, Will Genia, Nic White, Scott Higginbotham and Sekope Kepu.

Sources in France say Wallabies and Brumbies second-rower Sam Carter is also talking to French clubs.
Behind a paywall:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...lian-rugby-union/story-e6frg7o6-1227209718409

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
This exodus will not slow nor will it end. Too many key players are leaving and the overseas leagues are going to only increase in financial strength. ARU need to stop pretending it's still 1994 and realise that the selection of overseas players is an inevitability.

A shift to an A-League style model with a focus on local competition and youth development needs to be considered. If they don't prepare the domestic game for this future, then the game is going to collapse alongside Super Rugby.

Reactions: BDA