• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Would love to see Tomane come back as a utility Centre/Wing option for the WC over Horne.

Would of liked JOC (James O'Connor) also, but with DHP and Beale, probs don't need another kicking OB over an impact runner like Naivalu or Koroibete

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s challenge is that he is expensive but not in the Top 14 meme (they like their giant Fijian wingers)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think he's expensive, aging, and probably looking for a long-term contact.

Considerations are:
  1. Whilst his form is good, it will likely get worse in the coming couple of years. Not definitely, but probably. Injuries are also a consideration.
  2. He is expensive, which makes point 1 very risky.
  3. France are allowed less foreign players next year, so to have a player experiencing point 1 is once again, bad.

T

TOCC

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s challenge is that he is expensive but not in the Top 14 meme (they like their giant Fijian wingers)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Habana, O'Connor, Halfpenny, Mitchell, B.Connor, R.Ranger, J.Roberts, D.Smith, Lacroix, Aplon, Imhoff, Strettle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Hello everybody :)

Bordeaux will no offer a new contract to Adam Ashley Cooper. He will be free agent at the end of this championship.

Good luck for him ;)

Wow. Why not do you know? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His contact not being renewed was fairly public knowledge and has been for awhile. Bordeaux's owner (similar to others in the Top 14) was not impressed (AKA: mega pissed off) with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) returning for the Wallabies. When he signed he allegedly stipulated he had no intention of returning for the Wallabies and signed before the Giteau clause so they didn't not anticipate he would be unavailable.

There are also strong reports that there will either be a contacting rethink to stop (voluntarily prevent) players returning or they may shift strategies to contract non-Wallaby players so they can't return.

IMHO the latter could be a double edged sword leaving us log-jammed with old Wallabies while the young talent gets paid well while living the European lifestyle and then will push salary caps if we want them back.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are also strong reports that there will either be a contacting rethink to stop (voluntarily prevent) players returning or they may shift strategies to contract non-Wallaby players so they can't return.

Well bravo Michael Cheika

IMHO the latter could be a double edged sword leaving us log-jammed with old Wallabies while the young talent gets paid well while living the European lifestyle and then will push salary caps if we want them back.

That's when the importance of whomever is doing player contracting (states and nationally) becomes vital. Consideration to the relative value to respective organisations is vital

Reactions: mst

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if that means he'll return to Super Rugby. I can't think of too many of our teams that would thumb their noses at having him.

Also wonder if this is fall-out from (a) Giteau being out injured after playing for the Wallabies and/or (b) Mourad cancelling the team's holiday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tend to think it relates to him being 34 and no longer worth the huge salary he was on at Toulon. Injuries making him unavailable will have also hampered his ability to demand that salary.

Heading to Japan now probably extends out his career by another year or two.

I'd be surprised to see him back in Super Rugby. The pay won't be that good and the toll on the body will be substantially higher than a season in Japan.

T

TOCC

Wouldn't put it past Giteau coming back for just one season if asked to, he has the competitive streak in him

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Wouldn't put it past Giteau coming back for just one season if asked to, he has the competitive streak in him

I got the feeling that the Brumbies tried to bring him back - he must have been shopping himself around to get out of Europe. Japan will be a good playing environment for him now. The expectations at the Brumbies would have been fairly high for him as a playmaker.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I tend to think it relates to him being 34 and no longer worth the huge salary he was on at Toulon. Injuries making him unavailable will have also hampered his ability to demand that salary.

Heading to Japan now probably extends out his career by another year or two.

I'd be surprised to see him back in Super Rugby. The pay won't be that good and the toll on the body will be substantially higher than a season in Japan.

I think you are spot on BH. Mourad loves him and would keep him at the club in any capacity and Giteau still has "ït" based on his performances the last few week post injury. The reality is he has played very few games the last 2 years due to injuries and can see the writing on the wall so to speak. It is reported he has already rejected a Brumbies approach for 2017 so I doubt we will ever see him in Super Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I could see it happening for a season like George Smith in the city he ultimately wants to settle down in. It will be interesting to know where that will be.

I wonder if his wife and kids are going to Japan with him or whether they'll stay in France or head back to Australia? I think his oldest child must be right around starting school age.

T

TOCC

He rejected the Brumbies because Super Rugby overlaps with the Top14...

Once he is the Top League that issue no longer exists

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
He rejected the Brumbies because Super Rugby overlaps with the Top14.

Once he is the Top League that issue no longer exists

Except that after going to the Top League Larkham won't be at the Brumbies so it may be a moot point.

Of interest to me is with a 5 August 2017 Super Rugby final and a 14 August 2017 Top League kick off it will be interesting to see how players will be able to transition from Super Rugby to the Top league and back under the new arrangements.