• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What effect does Australia A have on Australia's International ranking - if any at all?

None - it does however lock players into the Aussie setup if they have dual allegiance.

I think the bigger question will be, what impact, if any, will selection in this team have on players leaving Super Rugby.

As mentioned by others these aren’t test matches, so I imagine players who play Aussie A will be made Australian eligible but not fall under the foreign marquee player rules in some of the overseas competitions.

Does their market value increase or decrease now? I think it would be a pretty good get for the Japanese sides to nab essentially the next generation of Wallaby, but not need to have them fall under that marquee banner.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What will be interesting is the split between youth and experience.

Do you bring in someone like Prior (yes I know it wont be him but cbf thinking of someone else at the moment) to support the development of the younger players?
Yeh had players like prior in there when originally picked my squad but harder to justify when realised only 30. To'omua would be though player to mentor whilst seeing what offers for potential wallaby recall. I would definitely have To'omua in for that dual purpose.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The residency requirement is five years. The three year period was originally going to end on 31 December 2020 but was then extended to 31 December 2021 due to COVID. That has now finished and if a player didn't get selected by 31 December 2021 they are then subject to the 5 year residency requirement.

So anyone qualifying through the residency requirement now needs to have been resident since before 1 July 2017 to be eligible to play in July 2022.
Unless you are NZ and they just let you do what you want (see Folau Fakatava)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty good guessing, but Brad Wilkin has to be in the backrows surely after the season his had.

If it's about bringing young guys through id bring Canhan and Ripley
Wilkin yes but Canhan and Ripley perfect for nrc - is nrc mark 3 still happening? Ie existing super rugby oz franchises playing each other?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
SO given Australia A has no impact on rankings, I presume the same is for the PI teams, at least when playing Aus A.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Also Rennie said Gamble isn't eligible until April 2023.
Uru, Gamble and Eloff all must be some of the best non-Aus qualified Super Rugby recruitment in years. All 3 would be certain Aus A picks if they could be selected. All can and prob will play for Wallabies at some stage.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess we can't be salty over the likes of Mack Hansen or Sione Tuipulotu. Or even Jack Dempsey.

I wonder if we'll ever pick up a former Test player. Nadolo would be eligible eventually. Kerr-Barlow? ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I guess we can't be salty over the likes of Mack Hansen or Sione Tuipulotu. Or even Jack Dempsey.

I wonder if we'll ever pick up a former Test player. Nadolo would be eligible eventually. Kerr-Barlow? ;)
Is Dempsey confirmed for Scroteland?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Australia A Pacific Nations Cup Squad

Tim Anstee (Western Force)

Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)

Filipo Daugunu (Queensland Reds)

Ben Donaldson (NSW Waratahs)

Tane Edmed (NSW Waratahs)

Matt Faessler (Queensland Reds)

Lalakai Foketi (NSW Waratahs)

Feao Fotuaika (Queensland Reds)

Matt Gibbon (Melbourne Rebels)

Langi Gleeson (NSW Waratahs)

Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)

Will Harris (NSW Waratahs)

Reece Hodge (Melbourne Rebels)

Harry Hoopert (Queensland Reds)

Harry Johnson-Holmes (NSW Waratahs)

Feleti Kaitu'u (Western Force)

Ryan Lonergan (Brumbies)

Ryan McCauley (Western Force)

Fraser McReight (Queensland Reds)

Andy Muirhead (Brumbies)

Mark Nawaqanitawase (NSW Waratahs)

Dylan Pietsch (NSW Waratahs)

Billy Pollard (Brumbies)

Jackson Pugh (Western Force)

Tom Robertson (Western Force)

Ryan Smith (Queensland Reds)

Hamish Stewart (Queensland Reds)

Jake Strachan (Western Force)

Seru Uru (Queensland Reds)

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Position breakdown:

Loosehead:
Matt Gibbon (Melbourne Rebels)
Harry Hoopert (Queensland Reds)
Tom Robertson (Western Force)

Hooker:
Matt Faessler (Queensland Reds)
Feleti Kaitu'u (Western Force)
Billy Pollard (Brumbies)

Tighthead:
Feao Fotuaika (Queensland Reds)
Harry Johnson-Holmes (NSW Waratahs)

Lock:
Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)
Ryan McCauley (Western Force)
Ryan Smith (Queensland Reds)

Backrow:
Tim Anstee (Western Force)
Langi Gleeson (NSW Waratahs)
Will Harris (NSW Waratahs)
Fraser McReight (Queensland Reds)
Jackson Pugh (Western Force)
Seru Uru (Queensland Reds)

Halfback:
Ryan Lonergan (Brumbies)

Flyhalf:
Ben Donaldson (NSW Waratahs)
Tane Edmed (NSW Waratahs)

Centre:
Lalakai Foketi (NSW Waratahs)
Reece Hodge (Melbourne Rebels)
Hamish Stewart (Queensland Reds)

Wing:
Filipo Daugunu (Queensland Reds)
Andy Muirhead (Brumbies)
Mark Nawaqanitawase (NSW Waratahs)
Dylan Pietsch (NSW Waratahs)

Fullback:
Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)
Jake Strachan (Western Force)

A bit of utility with backrowers who can play lock, Hodge covering most of the backline and Fotuaika, Robertson and Johnson-Holmes all capable of playing both sides of the scrum. Big surprise for me is only one halfback, not sure what the plan is there. It appears to only be 29 players though, so maybe there is one to come.

Edit: Could be Fines-Leleiwasa is the missing 9 from the release, count has an extra force player