• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'd say it's an indication that Hodge is more in line for a Wallabies recall than Campbell is getting the call up.

I agree that switching them around would be a better selection for the strength of Aus A.
Probably likely. I personally would like to see Campbell get a shot before Hodge. He strikes me as one of those talents who can rise to any level and slot in seamlessly.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'd say it's an indication that Hodge is more in line for a Wallabies recall than Campbell is getting the call up.

I agree that switching them around would be a better selection for the strength of Aus A.
Probably likely. I personally would like to see Campbell get a shot before Hodge. He strikes me as one of those talents who can rise to any level and slot in seamlessly
Key word there is "look" from what I've seen Blyth doesn't get enough of the grunt work done. Especially compared to Smith who would be slightly undersized. He might get there being a young man but I just don't see it.

Agree about Campbell. He hasn't been exposed to a level above Super rugby as yet and can only benefit. We know what Hodge can do. I understand that Hodge should keep his match fitness up as he may get called into the Wallaby squad.

Excited for Pollard to get as much time as possible. Lonergan and Pollard have me very positive about Australian Hookers moving forward.

Rae Rae
See that's interesting because it is pretty much what I think he brings. I'm not a member of his fan club however I am concerned going against these bigger packs with 2 undersised locks out of 3.

Agree re: Campbell. Surely the perfect time to see how he goes at the next level. Maybe they'll play the dual 15 type game. We will see.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn't hold a lot of hope putting that team up against the Brumbies. I'm looking forward to the game all the same.
Same as lot of players keen to see how they go, including pollard etc. As still lot of good super rugby players in there as not as if they are wanting to put lemons in there.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It will continue much the same I'd imagine. Which going from the likes of the Tongan Rugby League team doesn't seem to bother most. It's more about culture as opposed to whether you were actually born on the Islands or not. Which makes sense given that in there's very little by way of opportunity in either Tonga or Samoa so they look to the two largest more developed economies in terms of migration. Particularly NZ. Fiji on the other hand is like 5x larger in terms of GDP than both combined so there's probably more opportunity keeping many there and thus producing Rugby talent. They also have a larger overall population and significantly more developed pathways. Which would help a lot.
Yes and with dedicated Fiji super rugby team and soon to be based out of Suva very much so.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And Papua New Guinea has 9 times population than Fiji. Should World Rugby invest there? Will Genia is from that island lol
League unfortunately bit more entrenched. But I guess size of population not the only factor. Look at Sri Lanka and it’s population size and decent number of rugby players (hence why part of rapid rugby plans before that competition killed).

But actually from memory rugby competition in png and they have played sevens exhibition games but I digress.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
League unfortunately bit more entrenched. But I guess size of population not the only factor. Look at Sri Lanka and it’s population size and decent number of rugby players (hence why part of rapid rugby plans before that competition killed).

But actually from memory rugby competition in png and they have played sevens exhibition games but I digress.

They were men't to play in the Oceania 7's last weekend, but there are only 2 flights to aus a day & they could not get from brisbane & sydney to auckland in time so they had to pull the pin at the last min

Marce

John Thornett (49)

I know is a League heartland, in fact, is the only country where Rugby League is the most popular sport. But as the NRL is investing in Fiji, Samoa and Tonga who are Union heartland, World Rugby should invest in PNG as a reply. There's so much potential.

SRI is a different kind of genetics. People from PNG arr quite similar to Pacific Islanders in terms of size and physicality

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
100% YES, i'm not even joking they have massive potential & now with the new board seemingly settled & all together with the right direction PNG is a place WR (World Rugby) should defiantly get behind especially 7's
Yeh not as close but from even basics what i know I think you may be right that PNG maybe should be more of a priority. This is not a qualified statement as I am arm chair expert but as close to home neighbour maybe a 2030 super rugby expansion side. No idea really but guess what saying worthy of discussion on armchair experts forum lol to prove or discount as some nutter rabbiting on…

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeh not as close but from even basics what i know I think you may be right that PNG maybe should be more of a priority. This is not a qualified statement as I am arm chair expert but as close to home neighbour maybe a 2030 super rugby expansion side. No idea really but guess what saying worthy of discussion on armchair experts forum lol to prove or discount as some nutter rabbiting on…

I actually know a fair but about png through someone quite close to me living/working in port moersby, its defiantly an RL country but there is so much talent there that with a bit of investment they shouldn't be so far behind Samoa & Tonga. In terms of an expansion side look never say never but a lot would have to change in the next 8 years in the country for it becoming remotely a possibility.

I dont want to get into the politics of it all (including West Papua) on this forum not the place, but I honestly believe not enough is being done rugby wise.

Last edited:

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
McReight must the slowest learner in the world. How many times can you get done for not releasing in a season.
This is why he is not in the wallabies setup. I think a few people will find out today why some of their favourites didn’t make the wallabies