• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All confirmed

Rugby Australia and Tonga Rugby Union have confirmed that an Australia A team will travel to Tonga to play the Tonga national team on July 14.

The fixture will be a key match-up for both teams as the Wallabies and the Ikale Tahi continue their preparations for the Rugby World Cup in France later this year.

The sides will clash in the Pacific Island nation on the 50th anniversary of Tonga’s victory over the Wallabies at Ballymore in Brisbane; a match of great significance to Australia and Tonga where Fatai Kefu, the father of current Tonga coach and Wallabies legend Toutai Kefu, represented the Ikale Tahi.

The match is a continuation of the Australian Government’s investment in the development of Rugby throughout the Pacific through the PacificAus Sports program, and follows significant investment to support Pacific Rugby pathways in partnership with Oceania Rugby.

Australia’s Minister for International Development and the Pacific, the Hon. Pat Conroy MP (Moana Pasifika), hailed the excitement surrounding the event.

“The invitation for an Australian team to play Tonga at their home ground in Nuku’alofa, 50 years after the famous Test match in Brisbane – exemplifies our countries' close relationship on and off the sporting field.

“The Albanese Government is proud to be supporting this historic match because we understand the power of our shared love of sport to bring Australians and people across the Pacific even closer together.”

The Australia A program was re-introduced in 2022, with tours to Fiji and Japan, and saw a number of players go on to make their debuts for the Wallabies on the season-ending tour of Europe and the UK, such as Langi Gleeson, Jock Campbell, Mark Nawaqanitawase and Ben Donaldson.

Rugby Australia’s General Manager, National High-Performance Programs, Adrian Thompson says the success of last year’s program showed its importance to the elite level of Rugby in Australia.

“Last year showed how the Australia A program can help advance players take that next step into international Rugby,” he said.

“It also provides some extra game-time for players on the fringes of the Wallabies squad – which will be increasingly important in this truncated Rugby World Cup season.

“Tonga has built an impressive squad under Toutai Kefu, and they will be tough competition for Australia A and at the World Cup later this year – it will be a great hit-out for both teams.”

Australia A will play the Ikale Tahi at 3:00pm local time (12:00pm AEST) on 14 July at Teufaiva Stadium in Nuku'alofa, Tonga.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Say what you will about either govt. & medaling in the region by sugar daddying those nations it’s given so many opportunities that weren’t there before pacsports was introduced

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
saw this on insta but no on an official account

train on "a" squad

fwds
Cale
Canham
Pone
Gamble
Hanigan
Lambert
Lonergan
Neville
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Schoupp
Swain
Swinton
Talakai
Wilson
Wilkin
Uru

backs
Anderson
Jock
Daugunu
IFL
Flook
Foley
Gordan
JOC (James O'Connor)
Hunter
Tuttle
Walton

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
saw this on insta but no on an official account

train on "a" squad

fwds
Cale
Canham
Pone
Gamble
Hanigan
Lambert
Lonergan
Neville
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
(Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Schoupp
Swain
Swinton
Talakai
Wilson
Wilkin
Uru

backs
Anderson
Jock
Daugunu
IFL
Flook
Foley
Gordan
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
Hunter
Tuttle
Walton
These are the guys in bold think are still in with a huge chance of going to the RWC.

I think a lot of the others like Schoup, Flook and Walton are in the development pile and the others like Jock, Swain and Hunter are in the stay fit in case we see a repeat of last year.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
IMO

LL should be in the squad already
Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) one of them straight in if Leota doesn't come up

I'd love us to to player rsa a, the friday before the 1st test & if any country in the world would organise a game like that within 2 weeks it would be them (i'm well aware it prob wont happen)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMO

Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) one of them straight in if Leota doesn't come up

I'd love us to to player rsa a, the friday before the 1st test & if any country in the world would organise a game like that within 2 weeks it would be them (i'm well aware it prob wont happen)
Best chance of an extra game for the A side would be a NZ Māori side with both countries players being on the same timing season wise.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
IMO

Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) one of them straight in if Leota doesn't come up

South Africa are basically running two squads for the Rugby Championship, so I'm not sure they'd be too keen to run a 3rd string 'a' side as well.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Say what you will about either govt. & medaling in the region by sugar daddying those nations it’s given so many opportunities that weren’t there before pacsports was introduced
I don't mind it so much when it is a super team being sponsored, or local competitions but I do find it uncomfortable to be playing a team at a world cup (U20's) with our own government being their sponsor. If we are going to sponsor world cup teams then put some more money into our teams. These games should mean something and our government should not assist other countries.

As I said, use it for other rugby, but not for national teams

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't mind it so much when it is a super team being sponsored, or local competitions but I do find it uncomfortable to be playing a team at a world cup (U20's) with our own government being their sponsor. If we are going to sponsor world cup teams then put some more money into our teams. These games should mean something and our government should not assist other countries.

As I said, use it for other rugby, but not for national teams
National teams do mean something, that's exactly why the Aus Govt is sponsoring them, to improve the geo-political influence of Australian within Fiji. I don't think it lessens the passion that any of the players play with against each other.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
These are the guys in bold think are still in with a huge chance of going to the RWC.

I think a lot of the others like Schoup, Flook and Walton are in the development pile and the others like Jock, Swain and Hunter are in the stay fit in case we see a repeat of last year.
I think Pone still a chance as well, I thought he would have been a type that Eddie would be keen on

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Yes there will be several of these guys disappointed and pushing hard to get back in the main squad, with 40 in the main squad one would assume some of these guys may drop back to this squad
Particularly Lonergan, Fainga'a, pone, talakai, Neville, swain, hanigan, Wilson, Wilken and foley
Biggest surprise is Neville not being in the main squad, and Wilson and Wilken and Lonergan unlucky
I don’t think Wilson can do any more so maybe his days as a wallaby are nearly done?
Also surprise mafi, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Wright did not make it
Noah has fallen well down the pecking order now

if Toole and jorgo were okay I think this would have only made this squad! Robertson and rodda could have been either the main squad or this one

not a bad Aus a side though
I can see nongurr, Perese, Donaldson, kemeny, Pietch all coming back into this squad

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don’t think Wilson can do any more so maybe his days as a wallaby are nearly done?
The guy is only 23 years old, his wallaby days are far from done. He's still a good chance of getting time at the top this year, particualrly given the injury cloud around a few of those ahead of him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The guy is only 23 years old, his wallaby days are far from done. He's still a good chance of getting time at the top this year, particualrly given the injury cloud around a few of those ahead of him.
Exactly. He'll be in his physical prime at the next RWC. Looking at all his metrics he has everything you want in a Prop. Plenty have before and not kicked on but I have no problem with his inclusion. Probably finished the year in better form that he started which is a good sign.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Exactly. He'll be in his physical prime at the next RWC. Looking at all his metrics he has everything you want in a Prop. Plenty have before and not kicked on but I have no problem with his inclusion. Probably finished the year in better form that he started which is a good sign.
Don't think Harry will want to transition to the front row.

Pone is 26 now but yes your point remains that he still remains in the conversation especially since he's just re-signed.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Yes I’m a big advocate for Wilson to get in the wallabies squad, but the fact he didn’t get selected after the year he had in wondering what else he can do
Especially with valetini and Gleeson still so young as well
I would line to see valetini at 6 and Wilson 8 but this would affect the line out unless they get better jumping
I think jones like more quicker and footwork on comtact where Wilson is the old school straight runner
I’m a big fan of Harry but I’m concerned if jones does not rate him in the top 40 now will he ever?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes I’m a big advocate for Wilson to get in the wallabies squad, but the fact he didn’t get selected after the year he had in wondering what else he can do
Especially with valetini and Gleeson still so young as well
I would line to see valetini at 6 and Wilson 8 but this would affect the line out unless they get better jumping
I think jones like more quicker and footwork on comtact where Wilson is the old school straight runner
I’m a big fan of Harry but I’m concerned if jones does not rate him in the top 40 now will he ever?

He should think about a position swap to #6. Think he’d fare up well against the incumbents on account of his high work rate in defense and viable lineout option.