• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's a shame because I felt like Swinton was having a genuinely reasonable game.
He had, but that should be the end of his rep season. No way we can risk him at the world cup, better to put the Aus A time into other players.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thought Fines-Leleiwasa, Wilson and the wind really turned that game around at half time, pulled a lot of players along with them.

Makes the game a pretty good example of why Gordon is not in the Wallaby squad too - as well as he may play in super, he appears to be lacking that next gear he needs to make the step up. The difference between him and Fines-Leleiwasa was stark.

Stockade1988

Stan Wickham (3)
While I'd like to blame the players, it also looks like a team that has no idea how they are supposed to be playing rugby. Everyone seems totally unsure of themselves. Given how many veterans are in the squad that seems unusual. They look like an unusually fit/athletic local club side.

Massive errors by Gordon, Swinton, Campbell, Foley, #8, O'Connor. Basically everyone except O'Toole because the ball has never been on his side all game.

The only positive is that Tupou seems to be scrummaging fine. And Fainga seems like he always does. I like Swinton's aggression, he's done well in contact. But got a dumb penalty and then overcompensated by not coming off the scrum whatsoever. But he is the only guy that looks like he's actively trying to impress.
Toole run over by Izzy for a try

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe. Agree re: RWC. Out of Aussie A's would be harsh.
I didn't think he should be starting above Hanigan and Wilson to start, I'm even more sure of it now. With Gleeson returning from injury and Leota in need of game time is there really room to carry him?

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I didn't think he should be starting above Hanigan and Wilson to start, I'm even more sure of it now. With Gleeson returning from injury and Leota in need of game time is there really room to carry him?
I guess we'll see where Leota is at and Gleeson I haven't heard that he's back at training yet so unsure how far off.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
My impression was that both Swinton and the Tongan got matching yellow cards, but another Australian was penalized for being the third man in? I swear the referee said that.

The reserve scrummie was a game changer. Swinton, Wilson, Hanigan were impactful in the forwards. Some errors by Foley. He and O'Connor seem redundant as a duo, but I suppose it was more so giving them game time than about that specific combination. Campbell also with a few dumb errors, but some superb ball handling. The front row held up well. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was fairly anonymous.

Some superb time wasting by Tonga with a number of fake injuries and taking ages to do anything during a whistle. I can't blame them, World Rugby has totally dropped the ball on this front. Aside from Reynald cracking down in one game. It's pathetic. There is nothing magical that a trainer can do for you if you are seriously injured in 1 minute. Either keep playing or be substituted off, or go for an HIA. There should not be any other option. If you can't play with a sore shoulder, rib, hamstring or whatever then too fucking bad. Suck it up. It's pathetic. There are now 8 substitutes, so if you can't play then by all means leave the field.

10 years I broke my entire face and the referee told me I could continue to play (play would go on whether I got up or not) or leave the field. I left the field. I didn't lay there for 10 minutes and even if I had we would have been playing with 14 men.