• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"Ryan McAuley has withdrawn to keep English heritage option. Michael McDonald, same deal to keep Irish option open".

So this guys have to be STUNISHING in Super Rugby to get a call for the Wallabies. If they don't go to Chritchurch and beat Saders in the GF, I wouldn't call them again

I think it is pretty reasonable for these guys not to make themselves available for Australia A.

It isn't necessarily because they are likely to get picked for England or Ireland but because they aren't likely to play for the Wallabies whatsoever but as an eligible player in the UK they very much could get a pro-contract as a local rather than an import.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah I agree, he was the missing golden member from the u20s team with Wilson, McReight etc. Man’s got talents
I watched one Force game where McDonald was on the bench for Prior and with 30 minutes to go they were behind by plenty…..I think McDonald ran on with 5 to go!
That is absolutely crap coaching…. why bother…

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I watched one Force game where McDonald was on the bench for Prior and with 30 minutes to go they were behind by plenty…..I think McDonald ran on with 5 to go!
That is absolutely crap coaching…. why bother…

You can't expect a sacked coach to focus on building for next year, their focus will (and probably should) be on current results in their final games in charge.

Alex Ross (28)
"Ryan McAuley has withdrawn to keep English heritage option. Michael McDonald, same deal to keep Irish option open".

So this guys have to be STUNISHING in Super Rugby to get a call for the Wallabies. If they don't go to Chritchurch and beat Saders in the GF, I wouldn't call them again
As if Ryan McCauley has a snowballs chance in hell of making the England side…..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As if Ryan McCauley has a snowballs chance in hell of making the England side…..

I don't think that's what it's about. He has a snowball's chance of making the Wallabies as well.

If he wants to play in the UK though (and presumably has a British/EU passport), it is much easier to do so if he is playing as an English qualified player rather than trying to fill a matchday squad as one of their two foreign players.

Alex Ross (28)
…….rather than trying to fill a matchday squad as one of their two foreign players.
Is that really a thing though? A 2 minute look at London Irish and there is Adam Coleman, Rob Simmons and Nick Phipps in starting 15’s.

might have even seen Rona on there too. Not to mention Creevy too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is that really a thing though? A 2 minute look at London Irish and there is Adam Coleman, Rob Simmons and Nick Phipps in starting 15’s.

It’s changing by 2024, thanks to brexit.

Means European players are no longer considered locals, nor are they bound by the kolpak ruling either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes, currently they can only field a maximum of two foreign players in the match day squad, and as Adam mentions that will tighten up in a couple of years…

I would assume in the case of London Irish that Coleman and Rona are not currently considered foreign players.

Alex Ross (28)
Yes, currently they can only field a maximum of two foreign players in the match day squad, and as Adam mentions that will tighten up in a couple of years…

I would assume in the case of London Irish that Coleman and Rona are not currently considered foreign players.
Still not getting it. Phipps, Rona and Coleman were all running out in the starting 15 in 2019 also. Well inside any window that would reset their international status

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still not getting it. Phipps, Rona and Coleman were all running out in the starting 15 in 2019 also. Well inside any window that would reset their international status
Depends what passports they’re holding, that ruled over any test history. Kolpak ruling no longer applies after Brexit.
If Coleman had a Tongan passport he wasn’t consider a foreign player.

Alex Ross (28)
Depends what passports they’re holding, that ruled over any test history. Kolpak ruling no longer applies after Brexit.
Then if Ryan McCauley holds a English passport he could be capped by Aus and not impact his standing also. I expect the Brexit changes aren’t really changing things as far as Aussie (passport pending) players are concerned.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Why the hell Coleman would have a Tongan passport in Europe? He was born and raised in Australia and the Aussie passport is 100 times powerfull than the Pacific one, for some reason the dream of many Islanders is to get a NZ or Aussie passport

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Why the hell Coleman would have a Tongan passport in Europe? He was born and raised in Australia and the Aussie passport is 100 times powerfull than the Pacific one, for some reason the dream of many Islanders is to get a NZ or Aussie passport
You can have more than one passport. If he was eligible his manager would’ve sorted one out for him as, for whatever reason, a Tongan player doesn’t count as a foreign player. I’m vague on why that is, but It’s a loophole.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You can have more than one passport. If he was eligible his manager would’ve sorted one out for him as, for whatever reason, a Tongan player doesn’t count as a foreign player. I’m vague on why that is, but It’s a loophole.
Yep. Reason is the Kolpak ruling that applies within the EU to a citizen of a country that has signed an EU Association Agreement.

Provided said person has a valid work permit, they have the same right to freedom of movement and work there as an EU citizen does

This applies to all member states of the Pacific Islands Forum (except Aus and NZ, who aren't yet signed up).

It also applies to most of Africa (including the Saffas) ... plus other regions such as the Caribbean, etc.

In rugby terms, having a Tongan (or other PI or Saffa) passport gives a player a loophole advantage in France, Italy, etc., (although no longer in England) ...