• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yep. Reason is the Kolpak ruling that applies within the EU to a citizen of a country that has signed an EU Association Agreement.

Provided said person has a valid work permit, they have the same right to freedom of movement and work there as an EU citizen does

This applies to all member states of the Pacific Islands Forum (except Aus and NZ, who aren't yet signed up).

It also applies to most of Africa (including the Saffas) ... plus other regions such as the Caribbean, etc.

In rugby terms, having a Tongan (or other PI or Saffa) passport gives a player a loophole advantage in France, Italy, etc., (although no longer in England) ...
It's not fair

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Why the hell Coleman would have a Tongan passport in Europe? He was born and raised in Australia and the Aussie passport is 100 times powerfull than the Pacific one, for some reason the dream of many Islanders is to get a NZ or Aussie passport
thats only because it gets them access to better social security like medicare etc

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

Direct from the Prem website

HOW MANY FOREIGN OR OVERSEAS PLAYERS CAN PLAY IN THE PREMIERSHIP?​

The decision on who can work in the UK is a matter for government. Player registration and classification rules however sit with the RFU and within the bounds of English law, it is the RFU’s decision to determine who is classified as a foreign or non-foreign player.

As such due to the United Kingdom no longer being a member of the European Union, the RFU is working with stakeholders to determine the position going forwards with regards to the regulatory classification of Foreign Players.

It is important to note that the legal definition of foreign players is different to one of non-English players. In addition, players can fall under the Bosman or Kolpak rule. The Bosman ruling reinforced the Treaty of Rome in a sporting context, allowing the free movement of EU national workers around other EU countries. This effectively means any EU national has the same rights as any ‘local’ worker and therefore cannot be defined as a foreigner.

In the Premiership, the rule on foreign players has been amended to come into line with the regulations in European competitions. A maximum of two foreign players can now be in the matchday 23, at all periods during the season.

The level of English Qualified Players (EQP) in the Premiership has been fairly consistent since the inception of the league, and now stands at approximately 70%. This means on average there are approximately 200 English players playing every weekend in the Premiership.

In March 2022 it was confirmed – From Summer 2024 there will be a new England Qualified Players (EQPs) system and new foreign player rules. There is further work to do to agree the detail of this subject to a new Professional Game Agreement and introduction into regulation. Discussions around mandatory EQP in the AP15s and Championship will also be had in due course although nothing has been agreed as yet.

Pending this, an interim position will exist such that players who are or would have been classified as a Non-Foreign prior to 1 January 2021 will retain such Non-Foreign classification until the end of the 2023-24 season. This applies to all players playing in the Premiership, Championship, AP15s, Men’s Level 3 and 4 clubs, including those who are already playing in England or yet to arrive in England.

This extended transitional period allows time for agents, clubs and players to plan ahead.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I watched one Force game where McDonald was on the bench for Prior and with 30 minutes to go they were behind by plenty…..I think McDonald ran on with 5 to go!
That is absolutely crap coaching…. why bother…

Cron has shown his ability to develop players and teams. Hopefully he gives him a crack and develops him.

Rae Rae

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting… I thought Fraser …
Only reason I can see why he's been overlooked is that he's already in the fold for Wallabies selection (and has already held a national team leadership role) and they wanted to move captaincy onto someone just breaking through / likely to remain in the Aus A setup for a while.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Only reason I can see why he's been overlooked is that he's already in the fold for Wallabies selection (and has already held a national team leadership role) and they wanted to move captaincy onto someone just breaking through / likely to remain in the Aus A setup for a while.

Again the goal of the 'A' team seems to be confusing.

Do you want blokes to be in the A setup for a while? Or does this mean Longeran could be ready for a Wallabies call up soon?

Not saying he won't be a good skipper, but if you've got someone like McReight in the fold, you'd probably give him the nod. I don't think he will be breaking into the Wallabies squad in 2022 with Hooper there.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Do you want blokes to be in the A setup for a while? Or does this mean Longeran could be ready for a Wallabies call up soon?

Not saying he won't be a good skipper, but if you've got someone like McReight in the fold, you'd probably give him the nod. I don't think he will be breaking into the Wallabies squad in 2022 with Hooper there.

Lonergan captained the Brumbies in a game this year as well. Both seem like very good footballers, leaders and characters so I don't think it's too big a deal. McReight could be more likely to come into the Wallabies squad than Lonergan over the next 3 Tests with Aus having 4 Halfbacks in the squad (Wallabies & A combined) if something were to happen with Hooper.

Both have a lot of Test footy ahead of them.

Rae Rae

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Maybe it's because Frazer McReight one injury away from the Wallabies it's extremely unlikely Lonergan going to get a call up to the Wobs

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australia A jerseys get a 2 out of 10 for effort. last years patter and offensively contrasting sponsor logo

EB6F092D-F8A9-4111-83AC-B091478B5B8A.jpeg