• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Good list. Saved me a lot of thinking.

Of that list Perese jumps out at me as the guy that seems to have come on the most in the last 12 months. He feels dangerous every time he touches it.

Ikitau was good v RSA in my opinion and does the tough stuff not always shown on highlight reels.

I think Flook has potential as he physically develops. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time and makes good Rugby decisions. Joey Walton will probably get some game time in 12/13 for the Tahs this year after playing quite well for Bay of Plenty in NZ. Ripley has the raw talent but is still only 20. He needs consistent footy. Wasn't a stand out in the U20s like I thought he would be with Super Rugby experience.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
13 is interesting isn’t it.

Reds used Paisami and Petaia, both in the Wallaby squad but probably for other positions. Flook too but he’s injured (or just returning from injury).

Tahs had Perese - injured. And no one else needed? I think?

Brumbies had Ikitau - wallaby squad. And no one else needed I think?

Rebels used Ralston, Godwin and Kahui mainly - I guess we could call on one of the first two. Anyone have any idea how they’re going?

Rebels used Kellaway (wallabies) and Ili (ineligible)

Lukas Ripley the most notable perhaps? - perhaps this is the guy that should have been in the Aussie A squad??
I reckon Daugunu is worth a look for now. He seems to have lost a step in pace but is very good in one on one situations and has improved his offloading. Flook will be the guy to watch when fit. Petaia has played his best test footy at 13. Perese also looks an out and out 13.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Don't forget Dylan Riley who's actually starting at 13 tomorrow. He's got the makings of a great Aussie centre.

:(
He made a couple of great runs with changes of direction and subtle touches. Things we just don't see a lot of from our if I cant run over you I have no plan B centres.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We don’t seem to have options for 13. The best fit for 12/13 is mostly decided by who is playing in other positions.

The current crop of players that are capable have come through the pathways as 10/12/15’s. A natural ball runner that accelerates into space and/or looks for an outside shoulder into contact is hard to manufacture. It’s also a shit hard position to defend that only time in the 13 channel helps with development.

Can now understand why people ( myself included) got so excited by Petaia as a solution to the puzzle. At only 22 I’m still hopeful he still might be.
I was strongly of the idea that Petaia was going to be a great outside centre or full back. All this is speculation but I suspect he doesn't have that drive and belief in himself that coaches cannot develop. I cannot imagine how the continuous injury issues have affected him.
Hope he doesn't go overseas as he could be a truly great player. ATM I ain't so sure but what potential?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah, I'm referring to the Japanese outside centre, Dylan Riley, 25 year old Aussie from the Gold Coast, been playing in Japan for a few years now and qualified through residency last year.

Not really suggesting he would be in the Wallabies conversation but we'd never know, he did play Aus u20s.
DC: I realised my error and did some checking see above.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ikitau was banned for a match or two I thought and someone came in for him who performed quite well (Sapsford?).

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I was strongly of the idea that Petaia was going to be a great outside centre or full back. All this is speculation but I suspect he doesn't have that drive and belief in himself that coaches cannot develop. I cannot imagine how the continuous injury issues have affected him.
Hope he doesn't go overseas as he could be a truly great player. ATM I ain't so sure but what potential?
For a young man who has played 20 something Tests, he isn’t showing consistency of his much hyped potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.