• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It seems to me that the death of his father might have had a big impact.
Huge impact on young man with no shortage of attention on him.

Really hope he can get a full season on Rugby for Reds in 1 or max 2 positions. Lee it simple for him and have a few key points to think about each match. I’d even support seeing him mail the Wing for. WC. I remember Rob Horne doing a good job when out on the Wing for the Wallabies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I was strongly of the idea that Petaia was going to be a great outside centre or full back. All this is speculation but I suspect he doesn't have that drive and belief in himself that coaches cannot develop. I cannot imagine how the continuous injury issues have affected him.
Hope he doesn't go overseas as he could be a truly great player. ATM I ain't so sure but what potential?

It doesn't help that he's been moved around in so many positions. He's basically trying to learn a new position every few months. His best performances by far have been at 13 (last RWC). I hope he sticks there the whole season at the Reds now that Stewart has gone (12 Paisami, 13 Petaia).

I think the fullback and wing experiments have done there job and he can now claim that utility value (even though the performances probably aren't there the test level experience is). Now I think it's time to stick him in one position and let him build up some confidence and consistency.

I wouldn't be totally against that position to be 15 too. But I think he would make a great Folau type fullback rather then a B.Smith type who is also a good ball-player, playmaker, and kicker - I much prefer Kellaway, Campbell, or Banks who have more well-rounded games (obviously no where near B.Smith level yet).

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Huge impact on young man with no shortage of attention on him.

Really hope he can get a full season on Rugby for Reds in 1 or max 2 positions. Lee it simple for him and have a few key points to think about each match. I’d even support seeing him mail the Wing for. WC. I remember Rob Horne doing a good job when out on the Wing for the Wallabies.
He has never proven himself at Club level, as he was promoted to Super Rugby far too quickly. I do not support players being 'developed' at Super Rugby level until they have shown they can play at least one full season against men at Club level (not under age) and regularly dominate. Not Petaia's fault that he hasn't done this - but this is where he needs to go now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He has never proven himself at Club level, as he was promoted to Super Rugby far too quickly. I do not support players being 'developed' at Super Rugby level until they have shown they can play at least one full season against men at Club level (not under age) and regularly dominate. Not Petaia's fault that he hasn't done this - but this is where he needs to go now.

I don't think developing players at Super Rugby Level and proving themselves against men are mutually exclusive concepts, nor should they be.
Petaia played a season of NRC back in 2018 and proved himself a level above even against men, his development stalled through injury and missing the entire 2019 Super Rugby season and most of the 2020 Super Rugby season also.

Guys like Petaia are the ones suffering from lack of NRC and sporadic use as Test bench players the last two seasons, he really should be playing consistent Club Rugby/NRC rebuilding form and confidence not coming off the bench with less than 10mins to go in a test match.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't think developing players at Super Rugby Level and proving themselves against men are mutually exclusive concepts, nor should they be.
Petaia played a season of NRC back in 2018 and proved himself a level above even against men, his development stalled through injury and missing the entire 2019 Super Rugby season and most of the 2020 Super Rugby season also.

Guys like Petaia are the ones suffering from lack of NRC and sporadic use as Test bench players the last two seasons, he really should be playing consistent Club Rugby/NRC rebuilding form and confidence not coming off the bench with less than 10mins to go in a test match.
I agree he should be playing consistent Club Rugby (noting there is no NRC and no-one should be playing NRC anyway unless they are first playing very well in Club Rugby). I am a supporter of the Tom Lynagh model where you can be brought on to some form of Super Rugby contract or incentive - but earn your stripes at Club level first, while occasionally attending Super Rugby training camps. I am not a supporter of the Floyd Aubrey model where he goes straight from Colts to Super Rugby and hardly gets any playing minutes at Super level - whereas he should have been sent back to Club Rugby to get playing time and show dominant enough form to earn selection at Super level. If your not in the playing squad (or the emergency reserves) you should be playing Club Rugby.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I agree he should be playing consistent Club Rugby (noting there is no NRC and no-one should be playing NRC anyway unless they are first playing very well in Club Rugby). I am a supporter of the Tom Lynagh model where you can be brought on to some form of Super Rugby contract or incentive - but earn your stripes at Club level first, while occasionally attending Super Rugby training camps. I am not a supporter of the Floyd Aubrey model where he goes straight from Colts to Super Rugby and hardly gets any playing minutes at Super level - whereas he should have been sent back to Club Rugby to get playing time and show dominant enough form to earn selection at Super level. If your not in the playing squad (or the emergency reserves) you should be playing Club Rugby.
I'm very confused as to what the major difference is between Aubrey and Lynagh's development paths so far - both signed as ~18 year olds and both spent the year playing colts with appearances in prem grade (significantly more for Aubrey than Lynagh I'm pretty sure) and not super rugby. If anything Aubrey has had the more considered path - he's currently a development squad member and has time with the Aus U20s, while Lynagh was signed straight to the full squad.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
We saw more Reds players running around in QPR this season than we have for a long time.

The Covid bubbles of 2020/21 for the Super Rugby teams severely limited club appearances for squad members.

Think the issues this year with regards to the likes of Aubrey were the disparity in the Super Rugby / QPR seasons and injuries. The Super Rugby season was almost over before the Hospital Cup kicked off and the likes of Aubrey and Grealy were last men standing for the Reds. Both of these players had nearly full seasons playing club footy bar their Aussie U20’s duties.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It doesn't help that he's been moved around in so many positions. He's basically trying to learn a new position every few months. His best performances by far have been at 13 (last RWC). I hope he sticks there the whole season at the Reds now that Stewart has gone (12 Paisami, 13 Petaia).

I think the fullback and wing experiments have done there job and he can now claim that utility value (even though the performances probably aren't there the test level experience is). Now I think it's time to stick him in one position and let him build up some confidence and consistency.

I wouldn't be totally against that position to be 15 too. But I think he would make a great Folau type fullback rather then a B.Smith type who is also a good ball-player, playmaker, and kicker - I much prefer Kellaway, Campbell, or Banks who have more well-rounded games (obviously no where near B.Smith level yet).
Viking: I cannot understand why he is not playing in these Australia A games. It would do him good.

Particularly as we are short of decent 13's.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed. An impressive game from Gleeson. I don't know what the critics are wanting from him.
Everyone has an opinion about players just starting out and how good they looked. I remember Cliffy Palu's first game in a trial against the Crusaders at the SFS when he tore them to shreds. That's the last time I remember that ever happening to the Sadists. Now that was impressive!

By comparison, Gleeson looked OK, deserved to be there, but he was not the second coming of Palu. He needs to develop his game more, particularly in dominating at the gain line before we start going into raptures.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Well not helped by Creighton not knowing what to do and Pietsch looking to cover for his hesitancy leaving the two on one and space
Didn’t look very connected , Campbell missed the tackle , but was left hanging by the movements of those inside him.

Status
Not open for further replies.