• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Would like to understand the purpose of these games. Is it to win first and then a selection trial second?
Lonergan being captain and goal kicker worries me. I think the last shot at goal should have been a kick for touch and line out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hanigan playing well. Has to be a chance to play 6 for the Wallabies soon. Vunivalu having another tough day at the office.
Really don't see it with Hanigan JB. Spending a lot of time out on the right wing, has dropped a couple of simple takes, being dominated by the defence when carrying the ball, giving away unnecessary penalties.

However, I do agree about Vunivalu. His tough day is very much of his own doing though.

Better performances by the two centres but still not up to standard. I think Creighton isn't able to manage the backline defence as we'd like to see in a quality No 13.

Fa'amisili is having his best game I've seen at this level. Gibbon is also quite strong. I like that the scrum looks to be just holding the weight, playing quick ball and not trying to earn penalties all the time.

Still a bit too much kicking in general play, too early in phase play for my liking, and I don't think Vuni has retrieved one of the multiple kicks put through to his wing.

The ref is a bit harsh on the Aus A side I reckon.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nah Dru, Vunmivalu was just better than Terrible in the first half. Hopefully he can turn it around in the second.

You enter with bias. Vunivalu is mainly chasing the high ball - too much as you say. Also playing him into traffic. He's dangerous wide with space but things are falling apart with slow ball from 9 and unconvincing work in the centres. V has had some loose passes that look like the receiver being 1m slower than in training.

It's the same with Hanigan. He's not on the wing by dint of deciding on the spot that's what he'll do for goodness sake. He's made some nice after contact distance and less so other times.

Lonergan passing and kicking is not helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.