• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we have a really good shot at the Rugby World Cup,

In 2027.

The fact we are talking about 5 different flyhalf options so late in the piece, and one of the options is dropping the bloke who has been the designated development flyhalf for the past three years just shows how far we need to go before arriving at the destination.

Quade and Foley aren't going to around after RWC23. They'll keep sniffing to throw their hats in the ring for a plane ticket to France, but once that flight has left, it's game over.

I don't see the point in playing either Foley or Quade anymore when we've seen the likes of Donaldson, Edmed and even Noah can develop into better long-term prospects. I may not have said that before these 'A' games but now I feel like it's the best move forward for the Wallabies and should be executed pronto.
I have been posting here and elsewhere about developing a few of these young 10s. I do not understand why, when we are desperately short of 10's that we put all our efforts into Lolesio (who could make it as well) and ignored any other young 10. Donaldson is 23 and Lolesio and Edmed are 22 so the age thing doesn't hold water. If Cooper makes a recovery, I accept he could do a job for us but if not fully fit, one of these 3 needs to start.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is there a 10 who looks good against tough competition with a retreating pack? Donaldson's never been tested against England, Sth Africa, or NZ, which makes him look better.
Rob, I was impressed with the guts he showed in the disastrous year for the Tahs. He played 5 games that year 3 against NZ opposition.

Alex Ross (28)
Off the bench in his first season i believe. Could be making it up.
I am interested in him trying it given his size. But I have no recollection of him playing there for the Tahs.
Harrison definitely has. And DC has even said that Harrison is the versatile one of the bunch who can play 10, 12 and 15. Where he has said the other two are pure 10’s.

I guess I could go back through the tapes. But likely I won’t.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree, & even if not its an aus a tour that we have won apart from Jorgenson everyone should be getting min or don't take them
Pretty much what I said MS. It is a team makeup that gives game time to those who have either missed out up til now or have only had small minutes. It is not the best side we could have put out by a long shot.

On the centres, Stewart has always been an average Super trundler and never matched the hype that came his way first as a No 10 and then as a 12. Henry has very little experience at this level, even at Super level, so it is a rather uninspiring partnership. I make no comparison with the Kuenzle/Creighton partnership which hasn't been functioning well in the earlier games.

I still reckon this is Japan's best opportunity for a win to deny Aus A a clean sweep.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
On the centres, Stewart has always been an average Super trundler and never matched the hype that came his way first as a No 10 and then as a 12. Henry has very little experience at this level, even at Super level, so it is a rather uninspiring partnership. I make no comparison with the Kuenzle/Creighton partnership which hasn't been functioning well in the earlier games.

I still reckon this is Japan's best opportunity for a win to deny Aus A a clean sweep.
Stewarts defence is the top aspect of his game and has kept him a starting player a lot longer than guys like Jake McIntyre who I can remember had big wraps coming through as well.

Japan should really want this one. The Aus A boys might be 10% down after winning the first 2 and having half an eye on some down time/Asahis before they start back into pre season with their Clubs.

Alex Ross (28)
Edmed has definitely played 12 off the bench, more than once.
He had 2 games off the bench in 2021 and only one of those (Chiefs at Brookvale) did he get any real minutes because Perese went off at 13 mins. I can’t find a full replay but the highlight reel has him on the wing the whole time, Foketi remaining at 12 and Ramm playing one in at 13

The 2 games off the bench this year he shared with Roberts and I am 100% certain Roberts played 12 then.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Pretty much what I said MS. It is a team makeup that gives game time to those who have either missed out up til now or have only had small minutes. It is not the best side we could have put out by a long shot.

Disagree. Centres will improve on the other pairing and Australia will clean sweep the series.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
6.30 kick off on a Friday is a good time at least for me,
I have really enjoyed these Australia A games, getting a chance to see who can step up and who's not quite ready yet or maybe never will be. The perennial problem with pro sport many get overlooked and a few make it.

Still not convinced we have found a good 6 and the permanent sore of 10 has at least some hands going up.

Don't care about the result of this last game, for me, it has been very interesting seeing some potential emerge.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bloody daylight savings confusion - I was gearing up for kickoff in 5min, not 65min.

Might have to pull back on the beers if I want to get through the full match now

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Lovey try by Japan, albeit streaky. But how did that touchy miss that earlier forward pass, literally right in front of him? ‍

Status
Not open for further replies.