• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia A v Japan XV matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Players don't get picked because "they deserve it". They get picked because they fit into the coach's game plan.
Yeah, but they have to be playing well enough to be picked - if you have two players that fit the game plan, are you going to pick the player that has shown enough to deserve to be picked (pick whichever criteria the coach is looking at) or are you going to pick the big name even if he hasnt met the criteria but has the hype to fill the game plan?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Players don't get picked because "they deserve it". They get picked because they fit into the coach's game plan.

more importantly they don't not get picked because some random on a forum thinks he doesn't deserve it.

Fact is Vunivalu, from a Reds perspective, showed more than Daugunu this year.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Agree Reg, don't know what happened to Daugunu this year. He had been very good previously, and was outstanding in the first Aus A match.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not ignore but it surely puts them up against it not being on the EOYT. They need to have a very dominant Super season to get ahead of someone who A. performed on the EOYT and B. still performed in Super Rugby.
Qwerty, that's two BIG ifs....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is that there will be very few players who aren't on the end of year tour who make the RWC squad.

We've already got to drop from 36 to 31 and there are a couple of key players who will be back next year that are obvious selections like Angus Bell.

If you're not already an experienced test player returning from injury then you're up against it given there are only 5 tests next year (and I'd say only four of them will be before the squad is announced).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, guys who aren't on the EOYT but I'd back to make the RWC squad...

Bell, Arnold, Koroibete, Kerevi, Perese, Quade. That's 6 which means at minimum 11 currently on the EOYT would have to drop out. It's very hard to see someone currently available and not on the tour make it.

Also Izaak Rodda, seems to be a forgotten man.

FWIW, with new concussion protocols, I think the RWC squad will go to 33.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah, guys who aren't on the EOYT but I'd back to make the RWC squad...

Bell, Arnold, Koroibete, Kerevi, Perese, Quade. That's 6 which means at minimum 11 currently on the EOYT would have to drop out. It's very hard to see someone currently available and not on the tour make it.

FWIW, with new concussion protocols, I think the RWC squad will go to 33.
And you'd think that at least one of Sio or Pone will go. Leota or Swinton as well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
more importantly they don't not get picked because some random on a forum thinks he doesn't deserve it.
1666076070931.png

That sentence!?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The reality is that there will be very few players who aren't on the end of year tour who make the RWC squad.
agree if you are not injured or unavailable and NOT in this squad there is very little (none imo) chance of making the RWC team. Here is another 10 potential names if all fit.
Bell, Arnold, Koroibete, Kerevi, Perese, Quade.
And you'd think that at least one of Sio or Pone will go. Leota or Swinton as well

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
agree if you are not injured or unavailable and NOT in this squad there is very little (none imo) chance of making the RWC team. Here is another 10 potential names if all fit.

And you'd think that at least one of Sio or Pone will go. Leota or Swinton as well
I hate to say it, but I think Beale will go as well

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hate to say it, but I think Beale will go as well

Unless he has an incredible Super Rugby season I think he's going to need injuries to get him there.

I really see him as a chance at one of the last couple of spots in the squad for his versatility but it's unlikely unless there are a couple of players ahead of him injured.

Banks being overseas could certainly sway things if we don't adjust the 3 player rule.

Kerevi, Koroibete and one of Cooper and Foley very likely being needed makes it hard to select Banks.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unless he has an incredible Super Rugby season I think he's going to need injuries to get him there.

I really see him as a chance at one of the last couple of spots in the squad for his versatility but it's unlikely unless there are a couple of players ahead of him injured.

Banks being overseas could certainly sway things if we don't adjust the 3 player rule.

Kerevi, Koroibete and one of Cooper and Foley very likely being needed makes it hard to select Banks.
Yep, he'll need a few things to fall his way, but given what we've seen this year, I'm not sure it's that unlikely.

If he stays fit and has a decent Super season, I imagine his versatility and past experience at the big dance will be viewed favourably by selectors.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it'll be Beale or Hodge in the RWC squad as the perfect 23 man. Could be the 3rd backup 10 too.

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Finally caught a replay of this, fun game but OMFG the Korean clown at 10 for Japan, he defended like a barbequed dog.

A barbequed dog whose master had also died in the oven.
It is interesting that debate is happening over Vunivalu and his chances of playing for the Wallabies, I for one think that this tour was his last chance to impress.
Didnt help him that Pietsch subbed on and kicked arse

Status
Not open for further replies.