• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia domestic rugby 2020

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Great ad! Wonder where it'll be shown though? Hopefully somewhere to attract more casual sports fans and not just on Foxtel and rugby websites!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Same with the new held up rule , rewards good defence , but attacking team effectively get the ball back , they just lose field position as few will try a short restart on their own try line .

I don't mind it.

Holding up the attacking team over the try line seems like it should be rewarded rather than the result being to face a defensive 5m scrum which is about the best attacking platform available.

This is the biggest change really as it switches which team benefits from something happening (and isn't entirely new like the 22-50 and 50-22 changes).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Rugby does not innovate it risks being left (further) behind.

In Australia perhaps. Other that fixing time wasting at scrums, the rest of the world just don't see the problems with the game that Australia does. In no other country does the game require to "respond" to two other codes and their mob of journalists continuously rubbishing it for being boring and this and that.

Australia can experiment all it wants, but other than scrum resets, I will be surprised if ANY of these changes are ever tried anywhere else.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Select better
2. Coach better
3. Pass better
4. Kick better
5. Defend better
6. Two resets max at scrum, then forced short-arm that has to be run.
7. Don't employ stubborn dickhead coaches.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What gets me about the rule changes is that none of them are original, they’re all just ported straight from League.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The NZ games last weekend showed proper policing of the breakdown rules certainly opened things up. Lots of penalties blown , but didn’t effect the flow of the game with teams mostly playing on quickly rather than opting for team meetings before deciding what to do next .

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't mind it.

Holding up the attacking team over the try line seems like it should be rewarded rather than the result being to face a defensive 5m scrum which is about the best attacking platform available.

This is the biggest change really as it switches which team benefits from something happening (and isn't entirely new like the 22-50 and 50-22 changes).

With you all the way BH. If it does revert to a scrum, it should be with the defending team's feed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What gets me about the rule changes is that none of them are original, they’re all just ported straight from League.

what gets me about the law changes is that they had this big committee working on them for months didn't they? And they basically are just using the ones from the NRC, Matt To'omua's "no marks from chips" and the 20-minute Red Card.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
what gets me about the law changes is that they had this big committee working on them for months didn't they? And they basically are just using the ones from the NRC, Matt To'omua's "no marks from chips" and the 20-minute Red Card.

What gets me about the law changes is that we need our best players playing under the recognised international laws if we want to do well against other international teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What gets me about the law changes is that we need our best players playing under the recognised international laws if we want to do well against other international teams.

None of these changes are really changing anything dramatic though. There will still be 5m scrums, just less of them.

There will still be defensive players trying to catch a kick inside their 22. They just won't be able to claim a mark.

The kicking rules are changes but I don't see how encouraging more skilled general play kicking can be a negative for us.

We're not experimenting with anything fundamental here.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We're not experimenting with anything fundamental here.

I was totally in favour of, and highly hopeful for the results of, the Stellenbosch Project. The only changes that will be adopted by the whole game are the ones that originate in Europe. So I suspect we are kind of wasting our time and energy a bit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was totally in favour of, and highly hopeful for the results of, the Stellenbosch Project. The only changes that will be adopted by the whole game are the ones that originate in Europe. So I suspect we are kind of wasting our time and energy a bit.

The 50-22 variation and the goal line dropout have both originated from the World Rugby Law Review Group which meets in London.

These are experiments being pushed by World Rugby for trial in various competitions.

These aren't things we've invented that have no prospect of ever happening.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the red card changes are the only ones that have a realistic chance of being adopted by our stubborn Northern brethren.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
With NRL taking Melbourne Storm out of Vic to compete, it's got to be likely SRAu follow suit.

Rebels might need to find an away-from-home base like the Force have done ( if that is still possible?)

Starting to get a bit hard now.

Either way the odds on any 2020 games in Melbourne or Perth are starting to look long.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With NRL taking Melbourne Storm out of Vic to compete, it's got to be likely SRAu follow suit.

Rebels might need to find an away-from-home base like the Force have done ( if that is still possible?)

Starting to get a bit hard now.

Either way the odds on any 2020 games in Melbourne or Perth are starting to look long.

Perhaps, but Perth is looking good for a Bled.