• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd like the other one to start with Mowen at 8. I'm not a huge Palu fan. He took almost all of the kick offs and was easily tackled by the first Lion there. Also while he may have worked hard I didn't see the impact at the breakdown. Even his tackling, which I was told was the reason for his selection, wasn't too effective. He always goes high looking for the big hit, part of the team strategy. It didn't work on Saturday night.

I think this is completely unlikely and entirely unwarranted.

Every single kickoff Palu took he carried securely into contact and we retained the ball comfortably inside our 22. Secure ball is surely what we want out of that situation with the opportunity to clear into touch at the next phase.

He led our forward pack in ruck involvement, ball carries and metres gained.

He had a strong game which involved one error (the offload to no one that was toed through and led to a lineout throw for us).

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
Anyone know if it will be on AM local radio in Sydney? Going to the game and thought I would take the earplugs and radio for some occasional commentary...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Every single kickoff Palu took he carried securely into contact and we retained the ball comfortably inside our 22. Secure ball is surely what we want out of that situation with the opportunity to clear into touch at the next phase.

Did the Lions put up any contestable kick restarts? I can't remember any

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did the Lions put up any contestable kick restarts? I can't remember any

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .

No, but I think that was their plan.

They wanted to defend inside Australia's half. By kicking it deep, they're expecting the Wallabies to clear for touch within a couple of phases and get a lineout throw from within the Wallabies half (that they could then bomb back to the 22).

Aside from the first penalty goal for the Lions from the collapsed maul, were any of their other successful penalties awarded when the Lions had the ball?

The last penalty that fell short was when the Lions had possession, but from memory the rest of their points came from penalties won while defending.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I can't see any changes in the backs. We do need to get the ball to Izzy in space more often. Some first phase back line plays that aren't 20m behind the advantage line would be good. Also we tried the cross field kick once. It was misdirected but Folau won it clean. Do the same thing landing the ball 5m out of in the ingoal and it's try time.

Rugby players, other than QC (Quade Cooper), aren't very good at those kicks. They tend to kick to where the player is, rather than putting it on the try line. You want the ball to come down right around the try line so that the defender is back-pedalling and the attack leaping with pace, coming down over the line and scoring immediately.

Foley got one exactly right earlier in the season: try. He had another that was a bit behind but which Folau tapped back to Crawford for a try. A few others were far too far from the line, much like the ones we saw on Saturday.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

He led our forward pack in ruck involvement, ball carries and metres gained.

He had a strong game which involved one error (the offload to no one that was toed through and led to a lineout throw for us).

I don't think they'll drop Palu, just expressing my point of view. I would have liked him to get past Bowe at the kick off.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Rugby players, other than QC (Quade Cooper), aren't very good at those kicks. They tend to kick to where the player is, rather than putting it on the try line. You want the ball to come down right around the try line so that the defender is back-pedalling and the attack leaping with pace, coming down over the line and scoring immediately.

Foley got one exactly right earlier in the season: try. He had another that was a bit behind but which Folau tapped back to Crawford for a try. A few others were far too far from the line, much like the ones we saw on Saturday.

I recall KB (Kurtley Beale) kicked a few good ones to Timana Tahu back in the day...but then again he does have that league background

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not one for emoticons :(
this may be more accurate for the topic

bth_vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
St Sam ruled out, despite him turning in an improved performance I think this could be a blessing in disguise for the Lions. We'll get more ball carrying options in the backrow without really losing much in terms of breakdown work

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We can't make major changes at this stage. We go with what we know and will any absentees from within the squad.

What people are missing with the selection of Simmons and the trade off for the unbalanced bench is he was/is the insurance against Mowen calling the lineout. The gamble was taken with Mowen and it has paid off but two things have got Simmons onto that bench. First that he is the experienced caller but more so that he has been with the squad since day one without disruption unlike Noodles or MMM.

If you don't agree with it, fine. I think you will find that was the logic behind his selection though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck. That means Tipuric or SOB so Hooper will be up against it. Don't mishear me: St Sam was bloody good, but the other two are dead hard

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Starch

Bob McCowan (2)
First post.
Well done to both sides-- you've made my Sydney tickets an investment payoff.
I'm for keeping the team as is as much as possible; not just to maintain the combinations, but because I think the troops that got us this far deserve their shot at the decider. No-one has had a shocker that should see them benched or dropped, (I would have preferred some positional changes to begin with, but had no major problems with the squad, and wouldn't want to swap things around now....well maybe 12 to 10).
I hope Kev makes it, as he deserves his shot more than most. If not, I'd be very happy to see Simmo run on. He's bettered the rest at Super this year, and has only made one balls-up in 40mins, and that never cost us anything. As other posters have noted-- some players are judged by different standards.... ?Simmo gives away the last penalty, and everyone wants him dropped, whereas if it was Mowen, well make him MOM. And his hard stuff leading up to our try went unnoted
Same with Palu. A quieter second game and he's gone. Yet the much favoured (here) Douglas gets off lightly. Some critics are sending from a mobile while driving (ie "get your hand off it")
I love Gill, but Hooper has not done anything to loose his starting spot. And I love smith, but who would you bench?
Leave the changes for after.

Status
Not open for further replies.