• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Congratulations to the Lions they deserved it and if it wasn't for some ref calls in the 2nd test it would have been 3-0 Deans must now be relieved of the coaching role and move on as coach of the Wallabies as the Smith exercise backfired, O Connor was poor throughout and I could go on. I haven't got behind the wallabies for 5 long years so for my sake please give me an Aussie coach and that coach should be Ewen!
Yep, Ewen for me. Probably a pity now that Halfpenny missed THAT kick last week, as a 3-0 series loss would have put more pressure on to make the change we need.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Been driven to post for the first time in a while.

Boys, that was flatout embarassing. Actual national sporting disgrace territory. I stopped watching after 15 minutes (couldn't bear the sky comms, dreadful). Truly it was Dingo's final gift to Aussie rugby.

In saying that, time to move on. Time to draw a line under the Deans era and move to better things. There's this coach down in Canberra, name of White or something, heard he's pretty good.

I sincerely hope that you lot rise to the top again on the back of the sort inventive and intelligent play that made me fall in love with the Wallabies in the first place.

For the good of the sport, if nothing else.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think I've ever seen the scrums refereed so poorly and one sided.
We didn't lose that game due to the referreing. Thought he was pretty spot on with the decisions, though Alexander was unlucky to be binned. Kepu made an improvement when he came on though as it stemmed the flow a little.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I had high hopes for tonight, sadly we got hammered in the pack and we payed the price. Dingo is done, say hi to jake. Some big changes In Aussie rugby, not only at national but provincial level.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Listen to Deans in the interview. Says he totally expected the Lions game plan, yet then try's to pass the blame onto the players.

His shit selections hamstrung us.

Quite so, as you and a number of us have been highlighting for years.

But the real crime was and is a poorly selected and governed ARU board re-signing him in 2011 when he'd achieved.......virtually nothing.......then persisted with him after the RWC debacle for which he was very significantly responsible, and so it goes on.

It is now high time to place the long-term betterment of Australian rugby ahead of the poor judgement and erroneous prejudices of a few wayward ARU directors clinging to a power base they have not earned or furthered through good leadership.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Soooo disappointed for the Wobblies, but again no real traction in terms of game management that lays front and centre on the IRB and refereeing.... Honestly its an absolute lottery... one week the scrum is dominant next its shite.... Crikey can we get some parity or atleast clarification as to what the friggen standard the whistle wants? Its ruining the game.... Did the Lion play better than the Wobblies...After the refereeing yes.... Does Deans deserve to go? I dont think even QC (Quade Cooper) could have rescued tonites events...maybe, yes. But one thing is assured, S15 form is no indication of the test arena for would be coaches.... Link, White and otherwise!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Wallabies were comprehensively beaten in all facets. There are so many points that come out of this match but briefly for me a number of points are immediately apparent.
1. JOC (James O'Connor) is not a 10 and hasn't played well there in recent times and his sole good game was a couple of years ago against a very mediocre Welsh side. How did this qualify him for the position against the form 10s in Australian Rugby. Also of note was that it took two or three passes for the ball to reach the 13. The ball was only passed to the wingers once from phase play that I can recall. Basically the Wallaby backs create nothing in this configuration.
2. Beale - he made one individual break and in most other plays managed to crab across field so that he crowded out any outside attacking threats. His kicking from hand as I posted in the blog piece weeks ago is average to poor, and tonight we got the poor side. Again why was he selected over the form 15s in Australia.
3. Alexander at THP. Tonight was a great example of the problems in the Australian scrum with the angles of the second row. The whole set up just wasn't there tonight (and while much will be thrown at Alexander for his performance, which was as he usually does - he just got beat by a good scrummager which is what will happen to him IMO at TH more often than not) as much should be said to the second row who set up with hips high and the angle of their backs down, as Scott Allen's brilliant scrum series showed this just cannot transmit any usable power through.
4. Kicking from hand. For years now, preceding Deans tenure, this has been a woefully executed skill in Australian Rugby. How many kicks have the Wallabies kicked straight to their opponents in this series? Tonight the Wallabies kicked and a Lions player or two were always in position to take it on the full. At no time were they under any pressure. And here is a massive difference in this Wallabies game plan from a conservative plan. Only Mogg kicked for touch. The other kicks were for the 5 metre line or even down the centre of the field from Beale and JOC (James O'Connor).
4. Finally, I have posted for years about the Tahs and more recently about the Wallabies, this risk averse (not conservative) game plan will contain the opposition, even good opposition in many games but when the defence has an off night or the intensity drops a fraction in can become humiliating. The Wallabies weren't humiliated tonight but they were comprehensively beaten, and had nothing to offer except the individual brilliance of the X players and therein is the answer to the questions of points 1 and 2.

I must say that the Lions played some very good Rugby tonight. A strong set piece and effective kicking. Well executed a basic plan with some good skill execution.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Congratulations lions, a well deserved win. Dominated us in every aspect of the game.

Great tour, fantastic fans, wonderful games. Rugby the winner. (Hopefully we get a new coach)

Revenge is a dish best served cold...See you in 12 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.