• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely the ref on the ground is responsible for running the game not the TMO?
That was my understanding when I was a ref but that was more than 10 years ago and things change. Maybe there is a ref here who knows the current protocol re TMO's.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Gotta say the TMO could not WAIT to inject themselves into proceedings. I think that is the wrong approach for anything but foul play.
That was my take too. She got a lot of calls right but was very assertive and interceded on calls too regularly.

I thought the 50/22 call was wrong but it wasn't really material to the outcome as England were clearly the better team. We were better for periods but that first 30 minutes was enough to cruel any real chance of building pressure.

The harlem globetrotter shit we tried deep on our goal line was Super Rugby funny rugby. Flashy when it comes off, but it works 5% of the time.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That was my take too. She got a lot of calls right but was very assertive and interceded on calls too regularly.

I thought the 50/22 call was wrong but it wasn't really material to the outcome as England were clearly the better team. We were better for periods but that first 30 minutes was enough to cruel any real chance of building pressure.

The harlem globetrotter shit we tried deep on our goal line was Super Rugby funny rugby. Flashy when it comes off, but it works 5% of the time.

The "Harlem Globetrotter shit" was really just panic. Hope they are told never do that again. Get that ball into the stands and let everyone reset.

IMO the I hate the way officiating has become inherently negative. I understand the Duty of Care but when I hear the terms like "why Cant I award the try" or "Was there any foul play" it just ruins it for me. It feels like the 30 players on the field are trying to pass an exam by officials who cannot perform at the same level as the players at their occupation.

Rae Rae

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gotta say the TMO could not WAIT to inject themselves into proceedings. I think that is the wrong approach for anything but foul play.

Yep. This is Joy Neville in general, having watched plenty of games where she was TMO. I'm loathe to single out any particular official but there is a pattern here. Forever interjecting and not always in a helpful way.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
IMO the I hate the way officiating has become inherently negative. I understand the Duty of Care but when I hear the terms like "why Cant I award the try" or "Was there any foul play" it just ruins it for me.
The use of can't and similar phrasing is deliberate and taught to provide an anchor for decision making in the case of uncertainty (obstructed camera angles, simultaneous events, etc.). I much prefer a decision having already being made on field, which is then confirmed, as opposed to open-ended questions when it comes to tries.

On the other hand, for something like foul play, that is often less clear-cut than a ball being grounded (and also often secondary to the main action the referee is keeping an eye on), I think it makes sense to leave it open.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep. This is Joy Neville in general, having watched plenty of games where she was TMO. I'm loathe to single out any particular official but there is a pattern here. Forever interjecting and not always in a helpful way.
Yep those of us who watch the Premiership and/or URC very familiar with her.

She's horrible, just wants to get involved whenever.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

And thats the issue with Wright at 15. He is going to try it 9 times out of 10. Best to start Hodge at 15 and Wright on the flank.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Why is the TMO allowed to impose themselves?

Surely the TMO should only be involved IF the referee asks for assistance ie when un-sighted or misses something in back play.
World Rugby can't win either way - fans get pissed when the ref misses something and TMO doesn't/can't get involved, and fans get pissed when the TMO gets involved.

Autonomy for the TMO to make correct calls (or flag things to be looked at by on-field team) is the lesser of two evils.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The TMO pulling up the Tupou cleanout and Genge on White are the issues. Those were nothing incidents. Is anyone complaining if those were missed?

The TMO should just mention it to the ref at the next stoppage, who can then speak to the player involved and warn them. That seems a much better solution for the fluidity of the game.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just another thing from this weeks Breakdown program that I thought was of interest in this thread. The discussion was on yellow and red cards, and part of it was on the Perese yellow, and how angry the panel was (and as a kiwi panel pretty neutral), I think as they said it was pretty obvious that it was an obvious interept attempt, and as in a lot of cases they are penalising players for actual ruby plays. As Bates pointed out Perese looked disappointed when he knocked it down, not because he was thinking yellow card, but because he wasn't scoring a try up other end!!

Status
Not open for further replies.