• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The interpretation used is - "was there a reasonable expectation for the player to catch the ball?" If they try to catch the ball with 1 hand, they almost never catch it and the answer to the question is No. Therefore it is used a deliberate knock-on. If there was a line break opportunity, then YC follows too. In most situations and probably including the Perese one, he realised at the last minute that he couldn't quite get there and his natual reaction was to stick one arm out.

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
If they try to catch the ball with 1 hand, they almost never catch it and the answer to the question is No. Therefore it is used a delibertae knock-on.
I understand what the instructions have been, but disagree with how they are being interpreted because it's premise is incorrect.

The motion Perese was one used to maximise his chances of gaining posession of the ball, not deliberately knocking it on.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
No it’s not. Itoje passed the ball to vunipola so it’s lineout over. The two players were pre-bound to vunipola prior to any defenders so it’s not a maul - it’s still a tackle. A third then joined and they drove him across the line. World rugby banned this in the last 12 months. Only one player is allowed to latch.

View attachment 14061
Thanks. I always though as long as the ball carrier is at the front it's just players driving the ball carrier forward.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think there has ever been a ref you've been happy with - unless your team wins. And even then, your team usually wins despite him...:D:D
Yeh what's all these refs got against Aussie. I was fine with last week's refereeing. Even with the cards against us. I even think parese yellow is ok. It's the way it's reffed now. I actually don't think Smith deserved a card since there was no line.break oppertunities

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Almost every other facet of the game promotes contest for the ball. It's crazy that the intercept interpretation is so clearly at odds.

Imagine an automatic yellow card in a line out if the defending team spoil the throws but knock it on?
Exactly!

tragic

John Solomon (38)
In image #1 is white 1 bound to white 3 but in image #2 he is changing his bind to drive Vunipola?
Nah it just looks like it. He was never bound to 3.They both latched on to vunipola then 7 joined them and all 4 poleaxed Leota.

Reactions: mst

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a law that says you're not allowed to deliberately forward pass the ball to yourself to gain an advantage isn't there?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So I'd argue that would apply to players who attempt intercepts by knocking the ball up and re-gathering. (no referee has ever ruled this way however).

The Newsome first try in that video for example.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So I'd argue that would apply to players who attempt intercepts by knocking the ball up and re-gathering. (no referee has ever ruled this way however).

As long as they are trying to catch the ball they are allowed to fumble it forward and regather.

Its all about intent which is what makes it a bit silly. How's the ref to know?

I like league's approach to knock ons a lot more.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

A controlled pass/throw forwards is very different to a one handed tip while trying to catch it

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The intent is the same for me. It's a deliberate forward pass action to gain an advantage.

There's zero attempt to grasp the ball from Newsome, so he always intended to forward pass it to himself. It's not a fumble.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
The intent is the same for me. It's a deliberate forward pass action to gain an advantage.

There's zero attempt to grasp the ball from Newsome, so he always intended to forward pass it to himself. It's not a fumble.
Can you pass a ball that you never had?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
You've never seen a player tip a ball to another player?
That's a tip, not a controlled pass ;) The law states you cannot deliberately throw or pass forward, which implies control - a deflection off an outstretched hand is not controlled. The fact that it's ruled a knock-on, instead of a forward pass, also highlights this distinction. There's probably a 'spirit of the game' consideration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.