• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match II @ Suncorp 7.55pm AEST, 09/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You’re an expert on what a Welcome to Country should be? What mob are you an elder with?
I like Welcome to the country myself,think it's great, though I didn't get what part the Aussie aussie oi oi oi was as part of it last week, thats such and English (or Welsh thing) I not sure you use it as part of ceremony. Only a small thing I know but was somehow a bit strange.

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like Welcome to the country myself,think it's great, though I didn't get what part the Aussie aussie oi oi oi was as part of it last week, thats such and English (or Welsh thing) I not sure you use it as part of ceremony. Only a small thing I know but was somehow a bit strange.
He involved the crowd in a simple, unscripted way that everyone could understand and take part in with minimal chance of misunderstanding. Great way to unify the message until all of us learn some of our local languages. Kudos to that man.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought the pre-game was fantastic, welcome to the countries can occur in hundreds of different ways, and if that’s how his people want to do it then you aren’t in any place to tell them they’re wrong.

Noting it was NAIDOC week it was also about building awareness and learning about Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander culture, not a political statement FFS.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep I not knocking it,(perhaps because I used to always hear the original call by Welsh supporters during Lions tours) as I said I really like Welcome to Country, think it's a gret addition, just found the Aussie Aussie thing a little strange. I was at Suncorp when part of welcome was to do call a word (can't remember what) that the mobs used when they met, and he had whole crowd doing it thought it was great.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
To clarify my previous post. Obviously if I’m at the game, anthems, welcomes, war dances get my undivided attention. Just not when I’m watching tv

Status
Not open for further replies.