• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
With Wilson coming into the side who always dons his trademark red headgear it made me think whether headgear is pointless… don’t think it protects you much from collisions? Why bother?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think V is a strong 8 but he sure is a strong 6. He plays 8 for brumbies by desire or design, either way, he plays 6 from 8 and I expect Wilson to play 8 from 6 ie covering, supporting and setting up moves, whilst V will be driving over the gain line and hammering tackles. This experiment doesn't gel with me but as someone else said - Rennie gets paid the big bucks to make these calls.
I am just hoping our breakdown work is seriously better than the rubbish from last week!
Nope Valetini in 2020 when he first started to play with the fire was when he switched from 6 to 8 for the Brumbies (only a short while) then the same at the Wallabies.. I said at the time he grew a third leg with 8 on his back.

Now 2022 his been great in both positions so meh .

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
With Wilson coming into the side who always dons his trademark red headgear it made me think whether headgear is pointless… don’t think it protects you much from collisions? Why bother?
its mostly for the ears. and probably an artefact of having always worn it.

I don't know how locks especially play without it.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
As well as cuts and cauliflower, there's a few papers floating around that show headgears do reduce impact force more than you'd think, however their effectiveness decreases over the number of impacts (i.e., they fatigue/wear out). Type 1 is honeycomb, type 2 is the 'older' Madison style
1657789177155.png

Interestingly there's also a study that shows players say they are more likely to play more aggressively if wearing a headgear.

Alex Ross (28)
Do people not realise #6 and #8 only states where they pack in a scrum? Their roles and channels they play in the game are completely up to Rennie and there's no set standard from the number they wear on their back.
How dare you! Don’t you realise making Pocock wear 8 was the greatest injustice done to a rugby player since Meads grabbed Catchpoles leg????

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't mind Leota dropping to the second row. We would never have started there, but right now it is fine. Better than fine. Huge kudos to Slipper. Dragged into thp for two games now nonchalantly returned to 1. What a bloke. The back row looks ace, when we are missing a couple. Leota clearly "taking one" for the team. He'll be fine.

Halves and back up look fine. Back line is fabulous. Hodge is the interesting one. Certainly would not be here under other circumstances. And is filling FB and back up 10. Wow. But he performs for the WBs. With the injuries we have, and the "low" point being Hodge, well it's not too shabby.

Looking forward to the return match, bring it on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As well as cuts and cauliflower, there's a few papers floating around that show headgears do reduce impact force more than you'd think, however their effectiveness decreases over the number of impacts (i.e., they fatigue/wear out). Type 1 is honeycomb, type 2 is the 'older' Madison style
View attachment 14090

Interestingly there's also a study that shows players say they are more likely to play more aggressively if wearing a headgear.
Just my observation, but I'd say backline players in headgear play a lot more timidly than those without.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Can't have your hair pulled if there's no hair to pull.

In all seriousness, have you not had your head squeezed between the thighs of two blocks? Ear cartiliage is a precious thing.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
He kicks the crap out of the ball. Saw Tahs v Rebels years ago and we were in the upper tier of the brewongle, he put one up and it was almost that high

Marce

John Thornett (49)
He kicks the crap out of the ball. Saw Tahs v Rebels years ago and we were in the upper tier of the brewongle, he put one up and it was almost that high
Is he capable to kick to the moon like Burton so Vunivalu can catch the ball in the air? Obviously, when you have the advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.