• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Some will assume that was an improved performance because the Wallabies won..

But, it wasn't that was a worse performance against a lesser opposition, Horne, Hanigan, Smith, Foley and Moore were dissapointing. Game management was again poor, last week they kicked too much, this week they tried to run it from everywhere. Wallabies don't have the execution and accuracy to run it from everywhere.

Naiavalu looked good, DHP much improved, Hunts growing into a good 12, Timani brought more impact but had a few errors and was largely absent in the last 30mins.

Set piece is a big concern, that was close to our best front row against Italy's second choice props.

I think Foley had a good game - set up a lot of tries and linebreaks, scored a try himself, defended enthusiastically and kicked 5/6.

Refer to my other posts about Horne, but I certainly don't think you could say he was disappointing (especially given the alternatives).

I agree with you on the others however - Hanigan is too fresh, Smith and Sio comprehensively lost the scrum battle (despite the boring in of the Italian prop) and Moore is simply past it.

I also agree with your positives - Naivalu is very exciting on the wing, DHP was constantly dangerous, Timani was missed and Hunt is great (although I think he needs to stop trying too hard and let opportunities come to him a bit more. I wish all our players had his eagerness though).

I also think Genia, like last week, had a combination of good and horrible involvements. We need to give Powell more time because I think it's almost time to move on.

Lineout was much improved.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Cheiks said in the pre match interview that we need to work on thinking on our feet. Ok. So, if the Italians are pinning us in our own 22, putting pressure on us to make mistakes, what genius thinks that we shouldn't get out of the danger zone?

Take all skills and lack thereof, the players are not at all using their own brains. You can run it from our own half when there's no pressure or when it's unexpected. Nothing about today's game suggested either.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Alright questions answered Cheik (reserves in brackets):

Front Row: Kepu, TPN, Sio (Ala'alatoa, Latu, Smith)
Second Row: Coleman, Arnold (Carter)
Backrow: Higginbotham, Hooper, Timani (Hardwick / Dempsey / Hanigan)
Halves: Genia, Foley (Powell, Cooper)
Wings: Naivalu, DHP
Centres: Hunt, Kerevi / Kuridrani / Horne
FB: Folau

Other back reserve being Hodge or Speight or someone.

Hardwick / Dempsey / Hanigan reserve BR? Not too sure about that.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
This team just loses crucial moments so often. It's hard to know what to do about that.

This week it's Izzy's lineout and then DHP spilling the cross kick, closely followed by (another) intercept, this time by Arnold. Another 14 points gifted to the opposition straight after last week's debacles

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Using the translator to whinge about the disallowed try. That's a new one (maybe fair enough though).

I don't normal criticise TMOs etc but IMO Italy should have been granted that first try - the 'just touching' finger the TMO saw I thought was actually an illusion, it was set off the ball when the left foot was in touch.

Game was much closer than the final score line.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
If izzy gets injured we won't win a game in the championship. We need kerevi, speight, McMahon, kurindrani (in form), to have A crack at beating south Africa.

We won't beat the kiwi's so no point talking about it.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This team just loses crucial moments so often. It's hard to know what to do about that.

This week it's Izzy's lineout and then DHP spilling the cross kick, closely followed by (another) intercept, this time by Arnold. Another 14 points gifted to the opposition straight after last week's debacles

And Moore's shocker in mid-field too. A few loose tap-backs at times too - unnecessary. Take out the 3-5 absolute brainfarts and we are very comfortable. I just cannot fathom why some players are trying such plays when there is just no need for most of them. It reeks of a lack of confidence in what they're doing at times that they feel they have to take low percentage risks.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
i try to explain rugby to guys in adelaide,
Score flatters the wobblies. AIGs will destroy them. No light at the end of the tunnel, just more darkness. Well done Azzurri
on that performace we could be seeing the record scoreline in the bledisloe this year, the positive is that a better wallabies team wont be the worst in the record books.

T

TOCC

Should have been 21 points, Italy scored in the first half as far as I'm concerned, TMO got it wrong..

That came from a Foley pass going to ground and then Foley falling the dummy, he was off to an absolutely shocking start...

All Blacks will eat the Wallabies alive if they make those mistakes in a Bledisloe

Moon Dog

Stan Wickham (3)
Very poor from the wallabies versing a Italian team with young inexperienced players. How much is the ARU paying as a top up for Genia ? No wonder there is no $$$$. Surely we must have some good young halves we can start using and give Genia and Cooper the flick now ?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Players have beep test, body fat tests, speed tests, strength tests etc

HOW ABOUT A BLOODY IQ TEST!!!

I don't know if some of them are just not smart enough or maybe they just think they are the Harlem Globetrotters, without the skill given how they throw the ball about with such bad outcomes!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Welcome to the new reality folks. Scratchy win over Fiji, loss to Scotland, scratchy win over Italy.

Now that the reserve grade test is over, let's settle back for the first grade fixture from Eden Park and note the difference in skill and intensity.

The new reality is the result of a lot of factors, the majority of them outside the specific sphere of influence of the ARU. Even if we include all stakeholders of the game, all the unions, the clubs, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, the game's shortcomings are basically outside our collective control.

Just thought I'd get that in.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The kicking in Abs lions game is spectacular. Shows just how far behind we are in that facet of the game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The new reality is the result of a lot of factors, the majority of them outside the specific sphere of influence of the ARU. Even if we include all stakeholders of the game, all the unions, the clubs, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, the game's shortcomings are basically outside our collective control.

Just thought I'd get that in.

Not necessarily. You would think players who have been in the wallabies system for some years now would improve.

Skills would and should improve with the more time at the highest level.

But we got the same old players, with the same old shortcomings, using the same old tactics, making the same bloody errors over and over again.

A lack of improvement can not be blamed on factors "outside ecific sphere of influence of the ARU".

Your argument is a point which is probably more suited to the lack of depth, or super xv shortcomings, not for the bloody starting XV who aren't performing - well at least not the senior players.

Status
Not open for further replies.