• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Scotland, 3:00pm 17 June Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think we can now assume that Cheika thinks that is currently his best forward pack and probably the best team in general (except maybe Nabuli coming in for Speight as Speight clearly had a good game).

Are we intentionally excluding Beale from conversation?

There's no doubt in my mind that once Beale is fit, DHP or Hunt get punted. Rightly or wrongly, it'll probably be Hunt due to Chieka's refusal to play Izzy in more natural positions.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think that the Robertson, Ala'alatoa Nabuli and Hanigan selections are moreso Cheika looking towards the Rugby Championship this year as an important step in our journey to RWC 2019.

Do Timani, Kepu, Sio, or Naivalu really have to play?

Don't we already know what they bring? Could those players be dropped into a test against the All Blacks and be expected to go ok?

I think the answer is yes to both of those questions.

Would it assist Robertson, Ala'alatoa, Nabuli and Hanigan's development to play them against Scotland? Would it let Cheika get a handle on some of his known unknowns?

I'd say the answer is also yes to both of those questions.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
DCVSOW3UwAEj7bX.jpg

My pick for the bench:

16. Moore
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Arnold
20. Hardwick
21. Powell
22. Cooper
23. Hodge

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we intentionally excluding Beale from conversation?

There's no doubt in my mind that once Beale is fit, DHP or Hunt get punted. Rightly or wrongly, it'll probably be Hunt due to Chieka's refusal to play Izzy in more natural positions.

Certainly just talking of the players available.

I expect Beale will be in the starting XV when we get to the Rugby Championship but certainly in the 23.

Sio will start at 1 when properly healthy and I would say Phipps is a good chance to take the bench halfback spot. Powell will need to improve sharply to keep Phipps from getting another crack.

Folau is well and truly back in form. Maybe he shifts to the wing because that makes more sense than trying to play Hunt there but I can also see Hunt playing wing and defending in the 12 channel like Rob Horne used to do.

I would predict that DHP is most likely to drop out of the starting XV when Beale returns.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that the Robertson, Ala'alatoa Nabuli and Hanigan selections are moreso Cheika looking towards the Rugby Championship this year as an important step in our journey to RWC 2019.

Do Timani, Kepu, Sio, or Naivalu really have to play?

Don't we already know what they bring? Could those players be dropped into a test against the All Blacks and be expected to go ok?

I think the answer is yes to both of those questions.

Would it assist Robertson, Ala'alatoa, Nabuli and Hanigan's development to play them against Scotland? Would it let Cheika get a handle on some of his known unknowns?

I'd say the answer is also yes to both of those questions.

I absolutely think Sio will play as soon as he is healthy and Timani would be picked right now if Cheika thought he was the best option. I don't think Timani's form has been there this season combined with him missing a bunch of rugby through injury and suspension.

If Hunt gets dropped for Beale I'm gonna go fucking nuclear

That the one test player gets dropped for the return from injury of a 60-something test player who has also been in excellent form?

Seems a little unreasonable.

Personally I think DHP is the most likely starting XV player to lose their spot currently.

At worst I think Hunt would drop back to the bench. He offers good utility value as well.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Happy enough with the team. Personally would of gone Naivalu over Nabuli but can only give the big man an opportunity. Robertson will drop back once Sio is back. Arnold is a class above Carter but it won't make or break the team.

Carn boys, rip in.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If Hunt gets dropped for Beale I'm gonna go fucking nuclear

Beale was in the form of his life in 2014/15 and was probably our form back of the tournament at RWC2015.

He then continued that career-best form to 2016 at the Tahs and 2017 at the Wasps.

I simply don't see how he couldn't get picked.

English Premiership fans on Reddit are constantly astounded at suggestions he might not be selected.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well those English fans haven't seen him defend in the front line. I would never, ever put Beale at 12.

Nor would Cheika (defending at 12 that is).

And Beales defense at the RWC2015 and in Super Rugby 2016 was actually pretty good.

He's been decently physical over in England as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well those English fans haven't seen him defend in the front line. I would never, ever put Beale at 12.

His defence has been substantially better in the last couple of years. He was reliable for Wasps at 12.

Anyway, we'll find out in August. I think it's safe to assume he'll be playing plenty of minutes for the Wallabies in the Rugby Championship.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where does this team leave Moore? I think it's safe to say he's on the way out, on saying that i don't think he will be out anytime soon, but the chances of him making 2019 are getting shorter by the minute.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
His defence has been substantially better in the last couple of years. He was reliable for Wasps at 12.

Why? He's a much better player than Hunt. When fit he'll be in the XV, either for Hunt or DHP, and the Wallabies will be better for it.
Beale just doesn't offer the Point of Difference that Hunt does in defense.
In attack, they're pretty much neck&neck. Hunt can bust tackles and set up outside support, whereas Beale evades tackles to set up his outside support.

As I said, safe to say Beale will be a starting fixture come RC, hopefully it's DHP that gets the chop rather than Hunt. This 10-12 combination looks the most promising since McKenzies EOYT with Quade & To'omua.

Reactions: dru

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Moore shouldn't be anywhere near the 23, let alone the squad. He's totally done, legs are gone. It was incredible watching him last week live, honestly can't remember the last time I saw a player who was so clearly not up to the level he was playing at. Cheika really should bring Latu in, even if it's more likely than not that he gets sent off for something stupid.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where does this team leave Moore? I think it's safe to say he's on the way out, on saying that i don't think he will be out anytime soon, but the chances of him making 2019 are getting shorter by the minute.

I tend to think if he'd performed well off the bench last week he might have come back into the starting jersey.

I think it's hard to say he's on his way out right now. His form is fluctuating more than it used to but I still think he's got some good rugby left in him.

I tend to think it will be some time before he's pushed out of the top 3 because there's a big gap to option number 4.

In attack, they're pretty much neck&neck. Hunt can bust tackles and set up outside support, whereas Beale evades tackles to set up his outside support.

As I said, safe to say Beale will be a starting fixture come RC, hopefully it's DHP that gets the chop rather than Hunt. This 10-12 combination looks the most promising since McKenzies EOYT with Quade & To'omua.

I think this is a substantial overstatement. Clearly Beale's attacking game is his point of difference and at top form would be one of the best attacking players in world rugby.

Hard to say much about the Foley/Hunt combination after one test against the 10th ranked side in the world.

It's definitely over-egging the pudding to lock Hunt in as a guaranteed starter going forward.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Beale better? Fair enough. Substantially​ better? This I have problems with. Substantially​ different is closer. So it depends on what you want the team to play like I guess.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Hunt is also inspiring, other players see him put his body on the line the entire time he is on the field.

This season he has really impressed, I would go as far as to say he appear to be the most aggressive (not dirty) player in Australian rugby. He looks like he intends to hurt you when he tackles and when he runs, nothing is half pace and he just looks like he loves contact.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

That is quite a quite a different opinion than the UK commentators

Status
Not open for further replies.