• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Having trudged home from Suncorp last week, it was fantastic tonight to a) be confronted by a sea of non-singing Lions b) hear the Aussies gather voice for once and start singing Waltzing Matilda en masse. I'll take the win. Sydney - over to you. Go Wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You're absolutely right and it makes me sad to think that will be the case.

I know I should be taking option B but watching a dysfunctional backline with a winger at flyhalf just makes me cringe.

How can the (supposedly) best coach in Australia not see that there is an issue with that selection? Is he legitimately that stubborn?

It just doesn't give you much faith in the decision making going on in the blokes head.

I think option B

And am very thankful that I have a ticket for the decider

I am actually more concerned with the inaccurate clean out and continual dropped balls than who plays 10.

Get some continuity and we will be fine

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thank you Tim Anger
367_DSC_6944_2013_06_29_2792.jpg

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
JOC (James O'Connor) will be 10 next week, they ain't gunna change it at this stage.

So we can spend all week bemoaning the fact or we can spend all week getting damned excited about what is to come

I will be taking option B

What's a forum for if not for moaning? ;)

I used to get excited about playing on the weekend. Now I get just as excited arguing about the smallest intricacies of a game inherently full of injustices. Love it.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
That's a massive bow you're drawing. Beale was very good last week, he has proven his value in the past and it would be hard to argue that there are many players available better than him. You'd start Mogg over him?

And it wasn't only Beale dropping the ball. There was Douglas dropped right before he got dragged that had me pulling my hair out....

Point taken BR. It would be a big call and you would have to completely restructure the back line if you pulled Beale to the pine....an easy one would be Folau to 15 and go from there but I digress.

Also, the best call and one that surprised me tonight, was when RD pulled Douglas. RD doesn't always pull players as soon as he should IMO so I was impressed when he did after the last Douglas cough up.

P

Paradox

JOC (James O'Connor) will be 10 next week, they ain't gunna change it at this stage.

So we can spend all week bemoaning the fact or we can spend all week getting damned excited about what is to come

I will be taking option B

You're right fatprop. Thoughts on backrow? Hooper carried well in the last 30 mins but I think we need more physicality at the breakdown. Surely Smith needs to come in

P

Paradox

I think Douglas never really recovered after that 1st half knock. But he wasn't as effective

I thought he was impressive in defense but had tits for hands. Could be head knock. He's worth persevering with. I'd keep the forwards other than bringing in G Smith at 7.

Beale still has issues under high ball.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
You're right FP. Thoughts on backrow? Hooper carried well in the last 30 mins but I think we need more physicality at the breakdown. Surely Smith needs to come in

I think Deans will be very tempted to bring in Smith in a must win decider especially if things don't go well for Horwill in Monday night.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You going to the test FP?

Deans is likely to only make forced changes because of injury. Not sure wht there is even talk of Cooper when he's not even in the squad. Seems strange. Unless of course the likes of JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Lilo break down with injury during the week he may get a late call up. But even then he would be unlikely to make the 23 with the players they already have in the squad.

I will say I did like the look of the Gill/Hooper/Mowen trio at the close of the test. That last 20 was better with a lot less isolations. Although Gill seemed to turn into a nervous nelly in the dying seconds being extremely tentative with ball in hand twice in the lead up to that 1st penalty win to the Lions.

Yep, I will be there and I only expect a change if someone isn't available, although Barnes may get a spot over Mogg on the bench if his head has stopped rattling

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Yep, I will be there and I only expect a change if someone isn't available, although Barnes may get a spot over Mogg on the bench if his head has stopped rattling

Agree that will most likely happen FP.......another case of one-step-forward, two-steps-back as per usual in Robbieland.

P

Paradox

I thought Genia was unbelievable. We were under the pump in our 22 at times in the first half but his vision allowed us to run the ball 50 metres on the short side. He's the heart of the side.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You're right FP. Thoughts on backrow? Hooper carried well in the last 30 mins but I think we need more physicality at the breakdown. Surely Smith needs to come in
Hooper wasn't help by some really inaccurate work by the whole team at the breakdown, his ball in hand work was pretty good, the Lions clean out on the other hand was immense

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I thought Genia was unbelievable at times. We were under the pump in our 22 at times in the first half but his vision allowed us to run the ball 50 metres on the short side. He's the heart of the side.

Yep, he did have his moments and played a big part in keeping is in the match. It wasn't his best by far but his less-than-best is still a lot better than most. I do feel for him as I think it is all falling on his shoulders right now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree that will most likely happen FP...another case of one-step-forward, two-steps-back as per usual in Robbieland.

Really, did Mogg get on the field?

I would prefer to see Barnes called on in the last minutes next week than a kid who has never been there

P

Paradox

Really, did Mogg get on the field?

I would prefer to see Barnes called on in the last minutes next week than a kid who has never been there

Barnes can cover 10, 12 and 15 so should be on bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.