• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions 2nd Test (Melbourne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree. I don't see how so many points can be given to Palu and Hooper who were part of a backrow that was dominated at the breakdown. Mowen you would consider for points because of his impact in the line out.

The breakdown only evened up when Warburton went off and Gill came on.

We were dominated at the breakdown,and had no backline.
With a 10 with no kicking game.And a non existant game plan.
With a coach with no idea about using his bench.
Did I miss anything?
How did we even compete,let alone win?
Or maybe things aren't quite as bad as the doomsayers suggest?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I thought the bench usage was good last night.

Kepu, Slipper, and Gill all had plenty of time on the field (until Slipper came off injured) and all made a positive impact.

Simmons also had plenty of minutes and it seemed like Douglas was cooked at that point.

Horne came on right near the end for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s injury and I wouldn't have brought Phipps, Fainga'a or Mogg on in that game situation either.

Taking Moore or Genia off at any stage of that game considering the state of the game and how they were playing would have been crazy.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

As for the name calling and the crap about fucking off and watching soccer. Drivel.

My comments are less drivel than this pile of inane bullshit - which has been flogged here mercilessly for weeks now and is still about as helpful as a tits on a bull:

We all know why Deans has JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and it isn't because JOC (James O'Connor) is the best 10 in the country. Despite his weaknesses, QC (Quade Cooper) is probably the best 10 in the country. And after his "toxic" comments against Deans and the Wallabies culture we know Deans has crossed a line through his name.

On to facts - one team played most of the rugby in this game - once the Lions tried their first few mauls and got change in penalties, they ceased to try any semblance of attack, preferring to defend their lead and try to pin us back like they did in the first half, waiting to score in threes. The stats bear this out on any website you'd care to look at.

Three times as many running metres. Twice as many carries and passes. 4 line breaks to zero. Three times as many offloads - but some of the offload attempts turned into lost ball. 21 turnovers to 15 is what killed us.
To say that Sexton had great impact on the game than JOC (James O'Connor) is a fucking nonsense that not even Eddie Jones could invent. Anyone supporting that argument is deluded. JOC (James O'Connor) grew into that game as our quality of ball and continuity increased.

Go look at QC (Quade Cooper) direct traffic (with Genia) when his forwards aren't going forward - he's a good snout for attack, and when the ball isn't clean he lets the platform set again. He strikes when he needs to. But even he can't do it off disrupted ball - go look at the Rebels and Brumbies games this year to see that.

Fix the dropped ball and we win that game by 10 or 15. Stop trying to attack wide against an umbrella defence, and you turn over less ball as well. If they don't want to attack every ruck, then punch it up the middle before drawing them into offside or simply running through them. Every single game the Lions have played, against all sides on this tour, the metres they concede are around the ruck.

If Deans and his team have any failings, its not the quality of the attack - its where they direct it.

And those saying Hooper wasn't great because Warburton was - go watch another dozen Rugby Tests and then try again. Was George Smith shit every time Richie McCaw got MOTM?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A high intensity game of rugby, which the Wallabies deserved to win. It really should have been by more. I'd be interested in the number of unforced errors at about 4th or 5th phase with Wallabies gaining momentum. My perception was that this kept the Lions in the game, along with some great work at the breakdown by Warburton. Despite their much vaunted backline, the Lions didn't really look like creating a try.

I can't see RD making any changes for next week, unless through injury or other unavailability, which in the context of the series is the correct thing to do. Talk of changes should be left for the Rugby Championship.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Did I miss anything?

Strangely enough, bits of that were clearly true arguable. Fascinating game.

Warburton was immense and our pack looked ordinary at times at the breakdown, especially when they couldn't get to/dislodge him in time.

The best things JOC (James O'Connor) did (apart from that pretty sweet ball to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for his try) were his clearing kicks from deep in goal. But he also had some forgettable to excruciating kicks.

I don't know about the game plan, they dropped the ball so much I may have missed it.

The bench was probably about right. Beale looked pretty stuffed at times, not enough matches recently. But he and Lilo were doing the useful stuff at 1st receiver.

All in all, despite all the flaws, and there were ample, they found a way to win including with some clutch moments that turned the game. Great drama.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought the bench usage was good last night.

Kepu, Slipper, and Gill all had plenty of time on the field (until Slipper came off injured) and all made a positive impact.

Simmons also had plenty of minutes and it seemed like Douglas was cooked at that point.

Horne came on right near the end for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s injury and I wouldn't have brought Phipps, Fainga'a or Mogg on in that game situation either.

Taking Moore or Genia off at any stage of that game considering the state of the game and how they were playing would have been crazy.
Was slipper really injured. It seems like our old ploy of giving Robinson a rest in the second half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On to facts - one team played most of the rugby in this game - once the Lions tried their first few mauls and got change in penalties, they ceased to try any semblance of attack, preferring to defend their lead and try to pin us back like they did in the first half, waiting to score in threes. The stats bear this out on any website you'd care to look at.

Three times as many running metres. Twice as many carries and passes. 4 line breaks to zero. Three times as many offloads - but some of the offload attempts turned into lost ball. 21 turnovers to 15 is what killed us.
To say that Sexton had great impact on the game than JOC (James O'Connor) is a fucking nonsense that not even Eddie Jones could invent. Anyone supporting that argument is deluded. JOC (James O'Connor) grew into that game as our quality of ball and continuity increased.

Go look at QC (Quade Cooper) direct traffic (with Genia) when his forwards aren't going forward - he's a good snout for attack, and when the ball isn't clean he lets the platform set again. He strikes when he needs to. But even he can't do it off disrupted ball - go look at the Rebels and Brumbies games this year to see that.

Fix the dropped ball and we win that game by 10 or 15. Stop trying to attack wide against an umbrella defence, and you turn over less ball as well. If they don't want to attack every ruck, then punch it up the middle before drawing them into offside or simply running through them. Every single game the Lions have played, against all sides on this tour, the metres they concede are around the ruck.

If Deans and his team have any failings, its not the quality of the attack - its where they direct it.

And those saying Hooper wasn't great because Warburton was - go watch another dozen Rugby Tests and then try again. Was George Smith shit every time Richie McCaw got MOTM?

Well said.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As I said in a post a few posts up, I am keen to watch a replay shortly but my impression at the ground was that Hooper and Palu were our best two forwards.

The scrum went both ways. Our early dominance then led to a couple of Lions penalties and whilst we won the scrum battle over the course of the match it wasn't as dominant as it looked it may have been early in the match. In general play I don't think our tight five were as good as they were in the first test.

Around the park, I thought Hooper and Palu had a huge amount of involvement and were our hardest working forwards. I thought our biggest problem at the breakdown was when we had the ball and we lost it because the first player or two to the ruck didn't clean out effectively. Certainly the Lions clean out was more effective than ours on their ball.

Outside of the lineout, I thought Mowen's involvement was far less than the first test. A couple of his stretching lineout takes were just superb though.

In the backs, if anything I thought there were too many set moves when simplicity was probably more desirable. There were several run around/cut out pass/inside ball moves that all resulted in a player getting smashed. I don't think these sort of moves work overly well against a disciplined defensive line that continues to move up quickly.
just didn't think there was the same disruption to the lions ball that was being applied to ours. Don't get me wrong I think Hooper is a superb player but what he offers is more creativity and opportunity with ball in hand rather then your richie M, Pocock, Smith classic open side pilfering at the breakdown. Not saying piss him off to oblivion just always a firm believer in picking best team and IMO george trumps him as a all-round footballer.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any 3-2-1 has to include Moore. The lineouts were excellent, his carries were solid and plentiful, the scrums were good (though maybe inconsistent).

If there was 1 Wallaby you absolutely could NOT lose (outside of maybe Genia and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) that would be Moore. Our next available hooker is simply not of international ilk and Moore would have to be in the top 3 or 4 in his position in the world.
just fell out of my 3,2,1 for a few handling errors but you are right we absolutely can't lose him

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Did I miss anything?
I got the sarcasm:).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
A few thoughts of the game (having re-watched it this morning):
  1. In relation to the JOC (James O'Connor)/10 debate I think Rod Kafer summed up the situation quite succinctly during commentary. At around about the 64h minute mark the commentators were talking negatively about how JOC (James O'Connor) was playing too deep, etc. Kafer said JOC (James O'Connor) is a very talented rugby player. A great winger, not yet a great no.10, but there is plenty of time to become one. To be fair to James, it was his fine draw-and-pass that put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) over in the 75th minute. I still don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is the right man for the job, but I suspect he's the type of player that will continue to improve with each outing. Next week I'd go with Lilo at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. I don't think that would cause a major disruption given the they are already switching around regularly throughout the game
  2. Greg Martin is the worst commentator to ever exist throughout the universe. Even in ancient civilisations in galaxies far far away their primitive attempts at commentating sport would have seemed as eloquent as David Attenborough compared to Marto's best day. Really enjoyed watching the game at the pub when you didn't have to listen to marto be a fuck-stick all game. Watching the replay was taxing. On the flipside there was a classic commentary moment from Kafer towards the end of the game when Horwill turns down the shot at goal to go for the scrum. All the commentators unanimously say go the kick, Horwill choose the scrum and Kafer laughs and yells "Ow great choice Kev"!! classic moment. put a smile on my face (which marto proceeded to wipe off my face not long after with some brainless, worthless comment).
  3. Changes for next week??? Tough one. I don't think there'll be many if any. George Smith must be seriously considered. I think the Lions will concentrate very hard on winning the set piece battle next week which is there bread and butter. In turn we must concentrate on winning the breakdown. I'd consider starting Smith at 7 and bringing Hooper on in the second half and moving Smith to 6/8. Hooper had a huge work rate but last night we really lacked a Pocock/Smith style 7. Nevertheless it will be hard to justify leaving gill out of the side after a magnificent cameo off the bench. The fact that the Lions will be without their captain next week does not bode well for Horwill's chances on appeal ;). without horwill I think Smith's extra leadership will be vital to winning in Sydney

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A high intensity game of rugby, which the Wallabies deserved to win. It really should have been by more. I'd be interested in the number of unforced errors at about 4th or 5th phase with Wallabies gaining momentum. My perception was that this kept the Lions in the game, along with some great work at the breakdown by Warburton. Despite their much vaunted backline, the Lions didn't really look like creating a try.

I can't see RD making any changes for next week, unless through injury or other unavailability, which in the context of the series is the correct thing to do. Talk of changes should be left for the Rugby Championship.

The Lions didn't keep the ball and build pressure, they built pressure by their defence

http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match22231.html

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A few thoughts of the game (having re-watched it this morning):
  1. In relation to the JOC (James O'Connor)/10 debate I think Rod Kafer summed up the situation quite succinctly during commentary. At around about the 64h minute mark the commentators were talking negatively about how JOC (James O'Connor) was playing to deep, etc. Kafer said JOC (James O'Connor) is a very talented rugby player. A great winger, not yet a great no.10, but there is plenty of time to become one. To be fair to James, it was his fine draw-and-pass that put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) over in the 75th minute. I still don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is the right man for the job, but I suspect he's the type of player that will continue to improve with each outing. Next week I'd go with Lilo at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. I don't think that would cause a major disruption given the they are already switching around regularly throughout the game
  2. Greg Martin is the worst commentator to ever exist throughout the universe. Even in ancient civilisations in galaxies far far away their primitive attempts at commentating sport seemed as eloquent as David Attenborough compared to Marto's best day. Really enjoyed watching the game at the pub when you didn't have to listen to marto by a fuck-stick all name. Watching the replay was taxing. On the flipside there was a classic commentary moment from Kafer towards the end of the game when the Horwill turns down the shot at goal to go for the scrum. All the commenters unanimously say go the kick, Horwill choose the scrum and Kafer laughs and yells "Ow great choice Kev"!! classic moment. put a smile on my face (which marto proceeded to wipe off my face not long after with some brainless, worthless comment).
  3. Changes for next week??? Tough one. I don't think there'll be many if any. George Smith must be seriously considered. I think the Lions will concentrate very hard on winning the set piece battle next week which is there bread and butter. If turn we must concentrate on winning the breakdown. I'd consider starting Smith at 7 and bringing Hooper on in the second half and moving Smith to 6/8. Hooper had a huge work rate but last night we really lacked a Pocock/Smith style 7. Nevertheless it will be hard to justify leaving gill out of the side after a magnificent cameo off the bench. The fact that the Lions will be without their captain next week does not bode well for Horwill's chances on appeal ;). without horwill I think Smith's extra leadership will be vital to winning in Sydney

Great Post BDA

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
;)

And the highest form of scholarship...

1. In relation to the JOC (James O'Connor)/10 debate I think Rod Kafer summed up the situation quite succinctly during commentary. At around about the 64h minute mark the commentators were talking negatively about how JOC (James O'Connor) was playing to deep, etc. Kafer said JOC (James O'Connor) is a very talented rugby player. A great winger, not yet a great no.10, but there is plenty of time to become one. To be fair to James, it was his fine draw-and-pass that put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) over in the 75th minute. I still don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is the right man for the job, but I suspect he's the type of player that will continue to improve with each outing. Next week I'd go with Lilo at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. I don't think that would cause a major disruption given the they are already switching around regularly throughout the game

Even if they're wearing the same numbers, Lilo should be doing a little more of the playmaking to keep it lively. JOC (James O'Connor) is great a bit wider but will develop.

I think they're right about the depth of attack to a degree, but it seemed to an ex-prop like me (who hated running backwards to the next ruck... or running anywhere) that as we got momentum he started playing closer and closer to the line. So off set piece he'd go deep and then start trying to break things down. Fact is, most of the time that didn't work because the Lions were too well spread. And if we didn't gain momentum it all went a bit pear shaped.

The fact that the Lions contested hard at the ruck with 1 or 2 men maximum also helped them, and we just weren't accurate enough to keep them off it. I counted at least 6 hot attack phases where we dropped it cold (under no pressure) or turned it over outright or with a penalty. And a few of those were in key attacking positions with the wide defence exposed.

When we spent that 5 minute period attacking their line after the scrum, JOC (James O'Connor) was right up in their faces. Problem is, he was going himself most of the time instead of enabling those around him. He's good in contact for a "little" bloke, but the Lions expect him to run it or pop a short pass, and as Stu Barnes said after the game - they just flood the channel either side of him and shut him down.

But again, he'll be better for it next week, and with a settled backline around him and hopefully the same forward pack we can play the game we should have played last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.