• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs. England, Twickenham, 2nd November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Hooper is a wonderful player, but Pocock he ain't, ffs. Hooper is the better ball runner, but Pocock is far more physical, dominates contact, makes life hell for opposition teams at the breakdown more (thus forcing them to commit more), and is the best pilferer in world rugby. Having stolen the ball once in 80mins v NZ, getting a proper ball thief back in our side should be rather a top priority.

Hooper is a 6, in a 7's body.

4. Fardy
5. Horwill/Timani/Carter, whichever of our tighthead lock cupboard is in form.

6. Mowen (C)
7. Pocock
8. Higgers

Palu will undoubtably not be available, or if he is, he'll be in his 2nd game back and 'regaining form', which should mean he's not starting anyway. Horwill is very much a follow me type player, but that doesn't mean he should be captain. In rugby these days, getting the ref on your side is one of the most crucial elements of the game, and neither Genia nor Horwill are any good at it. Pocock or Mowen, being backrowers with a very calm and respectful manner, should be the contenders. By all means have Horwill/Genia etc in the leadership/senior player group, but on field, choosing when to kick for goal/manage the ref, we need one of Mowen or Pocock.
I still see Mowen as a first choice blindside, not 8, and his calling of the lineout this year has been almost immaculate, almost all of our first phase attack is being launched off the back of a cleanly won lineout.

RE Fardy: He's taken to test rugby like a fish to water, but he's a second rower who can play blindside flanker. Pair him with a big, aggressive and tight working tighthead lock, and let the backrowers play the backrow.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Team I'd like to see at Twickers

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Timani
6.Fardy
7.Hooper
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins/Betham
12. To'omua
13. Kudrani
14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.Folau

Res: Fainga'a, Kepu, Alexander, Horwill, McCalman, White, Foley, Lilo

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Backrow next year:

6. Higgers/Fardy
7. Pocock/Hooper
8. Palu/Mowen

Some good depth building there. and that's leaving out the likes of MMM, McCalman and Gill

I see Higgers taking the NO 8 position as his own come 2015. He's big, fast and has the nous to know where to be. As he's becoming more experienced and tougher, he can only improve at taking the ball up.
At No 7 I compare Pocock to George Smith. Both on their day are exceptional and as good as Hooper might be, he wouldn't make a World 15, whereas Pocock could as McCaw's light is starting to fade (won't this last remark get the ditch dwellers excited, move aside QC (Quade Cooper)).

Presently, Fardy is making very good work at 6 so long as he can keep it up, although a fit McMenniman could also give him a run for his money.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pocock is a better 7 than Hooper in all but attack, Pocock is quite average in attack.

That is the difference between him and the best 7s like McCaw & Smith, they can catch and pass and run like a back while still defending strongly and getting turnovers.

Using Pocock in the Wobs backrow changes the balance, we then need to add more running ability at 6 or 8

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To be quite honest, it been so long since I have seen pocock play, I wouldn't know who he is better or worse than!!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper is a bloody good ball runner and uses his low body height well. This is what makes him stand out most among the punters. We need more presence at the breakdown though. We know we get this from Pocock but from our fit crop of sevens, we have more of those traits in Gill. The thing keeping Hooper in the 15 is a balance issue in the back row. Pocock and Higgers will balance this out better. Keep Fardy along with those two and we will have a very well balanced back row.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock is a better 7 than Hooper in all but attack, Pocock is quite average in attack.

That is the difference between him and the best 7s like McCaw & Smith, they can catch and pass and run like a back while still defending strongly and getting turnovers.

Using Pocock in the Wobs backrow changes the balance, we then need to add more running ability at 6 or 8

Think of Pocock and Higgers as a combo. They counter each others strengths and weaknesses well.

Reactions: TSR

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pocock might not be as good on attack as Hooper but he is very good at cleaning the ball up.

So many times at the Force and for the Wallabies when we are under pressure at the breakdown with our own ball he picks and drives but he doesnt go to ground he is able to hold his feet and wait till all the other pig get there shit together anf get to the ruck.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Good points. If Pocock can stay fit he's a good captain. Given his work in the community, potentially a very popular one as well. Horwill and Genia are both just too declarative with refs.
I couldn't agree less. I think he is a shocking captain. His efforts at the force were terrible.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You are dropping Mowen for the same reason you are questioning Hooper. It is neither their fault. The fat boys are not delivering and hence they both struggle to make an impact.Gill would have done no better last week and dropping Mowen for Dennis is just not going to help you guys in any way.

I agree with that sentiment in regards to Hooper but if a 6/8s job isn't to make an impact defensively or with the ball in hand, then I don't know what they are there for.

From my viewing of the games Mowen has only performed well at the line out. He is poor at the back of the scrum and offers little impact at the collisions. You only have to compare him to Fardy to see what he should have been doing. Even Ben Mc has ha more impact in the games.

I don't see why Mowen should be an automatic starter and certainly not for the reason of 'the props haven't been doing their job'.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
I hope Horwill does still play and keeps the captaincy. Genia is to hotheaded which arks up the ref and counts against us, Mowen isn't in great form, and if Pocock plays he always seems to be burdened by captaincy. Genia needs to take a leaf out of John Eales' book and piss in the ref's pocket a little if things don't go his way.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Remember all the bitching when Morty was captain about being to far away.

If you seriously want to think of blooding a new captain, you simply don't look beyond Stephen Moore.

There is no need for a new captain. Horwill will find his form and this will all be water under the bridge.

Think happy thoughts, in 2008 and 2009 when we seriously destroyed the Pommy scrum, it was Horwill behind the THP both times. Baxter in 2008 and Alexander in 2009.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It's been a long time since Horwill played a good game for Australia. Maybe one of the Lions tests was okay?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Think happy thoughts, in 2008 and 2009 when we seriously destroyed the Pommy scrum, it was Horwill behind the THP both times. Baxter in 2008 and Alexander in 2009.

I think that was Mark Chisholm actually. He's doing very well for Bayonne at the moment, I bet Ewen would love to call him up.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I couldn't agree less. I think he is a shocking captain. His efforts at the force were terrible.

My memory of Pocock's captaincy on the big stage was when HIS decision cost Australia the game against the Scots. (when he did not take the kick in front) - Terrible miscalculation - friggin unforgiveable

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
to me the best forward pack when all available

1. Slipper
2. Moore (or TPN - if fit, uninjured and motivated)
3. Kepu (shame Robbo is limited to LHP only)
The above 3's performances and scrum in general is determined by the below 5 acting as a unit with leg drive and heads in)

4. Horwill (when playing well and getting over ad line) (captain)
5. Simmo
6. Higgers (love his mongrel attitude)
7. Pocock
8. Palu

Status
Not open for further replies.