• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
How do they implement this when the Super franchises have them all off season?

Great question, Iltw. Serious strength training is virtually a year round undertaking and it takes years for athletes to achieve their full strength potential.

If we are to remedy this deficiency all players at the professional level - and ideally at the Premiership club level - should be involved in heavy strength training, backs as well as forwards. If the problem is acknowledged the ARU could enforce this at the franchise level as they supply the major funding.

D

daz

For mine, we just got out-muscled in the muscle department. That is the regrettable hall-mark of the Wallabies team for the past five years at least.

We are the only major rugby playing nation that does not respect or train for basic strength in the most strength-oriented code of football. It's about time we woke up to ourselves and acknowledged how far we are off the pace in this respect. Only when we begin to get this right should we preoccupy ourselves with "smart, creative running rugby".

I don't know enough about the training regime across the ARU franchises to comment on this Bruce, but I have seen the Rebels training and while pretty basic, it is quite heavily focused on the inner core and stamina.

But, as they say, they proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it was men against boys on Saturday night. And it will be so again next weekend.

My question would be though, with the Wallaby squad only in camp for a few weeks each year before the international window, surely the responsibility for getting a decent bunch of big, hard and murderous men trained up sits with the Super clubs?

I include aggression between the ears in that question, as well as body bulk.

hughbert

Herbert Moran (7)
Stop baiting, it's getting old. Pretty much everyone on the field last night was mediocre. Quade included. While we a posturing though, who is to say that To'omua would have been any better behind a pack that was utterly destroyed?

As for whether lewisr had a certain attitude or not, go back over the threads and have a look.

We have 3 flyhalfs in the squad. One has played 2 matches so far in the RC, and wasn't all that crash hot. He had moments, but really couldn't take his chances. A large portion of that is because the forwards were manhandled, giving the 10 no platform to work on. Another 10 has played one game, and suffered from the same issue. Wasn't brilliant, but again was playing behind a pack that was being demolished. The other 10 is Foley, and he hasn't had a game yet.

So based on the evidence so far, they are pretty even. Neither flyhalf that has played has taken owned the jumper, and were hampered by a beaten pack. So yeah, the forwards are the issue. The flyhalf, not so much.

Please give the anti Quade vitriol a rest.

Edit - and quit playing the man.

Bob Dwyer has today posted an article on this very website calling for a switch of the halves despite the fact that the forwards aren't any good, so whilst one (or many) may have an entirely different view, it's not really unreasonable to suggest that one may feel comfortable swapping backline players at this point.

D

daz

Great question, Iltw. Serious strength training is virtually a year round undertaking and it takes years for athletes to achieve their full strength potential.

If we are to remedy this deficiency all players at the professional level - and ideally at the Premiership club level - should be involved in heavy strength training, backs as well as forwards. If the problem is acknowledged the ARU could enforce this at the franchise level as they supply the major funding.

Again, I can only speak about what I know, but the Rebels squad had a 1 week break at the end of the competition and was back in full training again.

Pre-season proper starts in October.

That seems to cover the "year-round" requirement. Perhaps it is the quality of training, rather than the quantity?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bruce Ross I think i quizzed you before on this but you advocate heavy weights during the season?
If so how doe you manage recovery in time for game and how does travel it impact?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
This world was almost too topsy-turvy for me to handle. We get thrashed at Suncorp, Tony Abbott is PM, and Clive Palmer is going to Canberra. But at least some things stay the same. Never change, Shiggins.
Go on..... So I am not allowed to ask people opinions on the game?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Someone else has answered this, but I can confirm that the AR was correct. If the ball has crossed the plane of touch and a player jumps and knocks it back into the field of play and lands in touch then the ball is in touch (kicking team put it there). Where a player remains in the field of play and knocks the ball back into play, the ball is not in touch.
Thanks for clearing that up mate. Makes complete sense now. Appreciate it

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Love that song and I think about it every time someone mentions it. Haha

I think you are spot on though

We have the backs to do anything. We just need to get the basics right and those blokes out the back will make it happen when the hard work is done. I also think we don't need to teach these guys how to score try's. they know how. More work needs to be done on defence. Good defence makes mistakes and that's where 90% of try's come from these days.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Go on... So I am not allowed to ask people opinions on the game?

99% of your initial post-game comments involve questioning decisions by the referee that went against your team as opposed to comments on the performance of players/teams or any other aspects of the game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Guys, regarding Cooper and "provincial bias", let's just invoke rule 10 and agree that we've spent a good five pages arguing something and nobody is changing their minds.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Inside Shoulder I think you blokes are experts in weight training

BTnpqhnIgAA192M.jpg

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone really think if we had smith and carter at 9-10 the outcome would have been any different??
FFS the problem is a whole lot bigger than that. The way we played as a team on Sat we would have been walloped regardless of our halves.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone really think if we had smith and carter at 9-10 the outcome would have been any different??
FFS the problem is a whole lot bigger than that. The way we played as a team on Sat we would have been walloped regardless of our halves.

No. I don't think anyone thinks that.

If our forwards had achieved parity we'd probably be talking about how we lost because our halves and our halfback in particular were poor.

The fact that our forwards suck doesn't mean the backs are immune from criticism or changes.

So much of our play involves slow service from the ruck and our first receiver standing still, very deep in the pocket when they receive the ball.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know enough about the training regime across the ARU franchises to comment on this Bruce, but I have seen the Rebels training and while pretty basic, it is quite heavily focused on the inner core and stamina.

But, as they say, they proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it was men against boys on Saturday night. And it will be so again next weekend.

My question would be though, with the Wallaby squad only in camp for a few weeks each year before the international window, surely the responsibility for getting a decent bunch of big, hard and murderous men trained up sits with the Super clubs?

I include aggression between the ears in that question, as well as body bulk.

I may well be wrong, daz, but my information is that the chief S & C at the Rebels for the past season had a Rugby League background. I don't know whether that influenced the way the squad was conditioned. "Inner core and stamina", while vital elements in Rugby, sound very much like a League focus.

The dynamics of the two codes are very different. Rugby is very much stop and start while League is much more aerobic - up and back throughout the game. Further, the divergent physical demands are well exemplified in the tackle. In League - and also in American football for that matter - as soon as the tackle is effected the players disengage. In Rugby the tackle is quite often the prelude to an extended period of struggle with additional players becoming involved.

I totally agree with you that "the responsibility for getting a decent bunch of big, hard and murderous men trained up sits with the Super clubs"

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Australia miss Digby. There is no linebreakers in the back or someone who could do the job what he did.
Also you can't play the Aussie way with phase after phase when you only have a lock to do the hard yards upfront and he has to do the ruck cleaning.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez we supposedly had this great backline - fact is, it failed . dropped ball, missed tackles, lack of line breaks, running cross field (Izzy particularly), not passing the ball (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) -

sometimes just sometimes every now and again the backs need to shoulder a bit of the failings

Status
Not open for further replies.