• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Club Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

QLD Uni beat Sydney Uni

This was posted on the Reds website. I know it doesn't mean much.

University of Queensland begin their Centenary Year on a high with an exciting 42-26 victory over Sydney University in the Australian Club Championship at Ballymore on Sunday.

The Red Heavies overcame a slender 18-17 halftime deficit to pile on five tries in the annual Club Championship grudge match played between the Queensland Premier Rugby and NSW club rugby champions.

Winger Steve O’Leary racked up an impressive 22 points individual scoring tally in a highly entertaining and extremely physical encounter played in perfect rugby conditions in front of a healthy and vocal Ballymore crowd.

QAS Reds Academy lock David McDuling made an impact everytime he touched the ball for QLD Uni while Sydney Uni scrumhalf and captain Matt Schwager tried hard in a polished 80 minute display.

QLD Uni centre Ryan Gilliman scored the opening try of the match in the 15th minute before Sydney Uni, with the benefit of a strong wind at their back in the opening half, edged their way to the lead with tries to James McMahon and Willie du Plessis.

A try on the stroke of halftime to QLD Uni hooker Scott Kelly and just after the break to Academy flyer Simon Morahan saw the home team regain a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

Both teams traded tries and penalty goals in the later stages before a length of the field intercept try to Red Heavies replacement Tom McQueen capped of the special win.

The victory was the third straight by Queensland Premier Rugby teams in the ACC with Brothers and Easts beating Sydney University the previous two years.

University of Queensland 42 (Ryan Gilliman, Steve O’Leary, Scott Kelly, Simon Morahan, Tom McQueen tries, Steve O'Leary 4 cons, 3 pens) def Sydney University 26 (James McMahon, Willie du Plessis, Harry Marples tries, Angus Roberts con, pen, Danny Kroll 2 pens)

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
This was posted on the Reds website. I know it doesn't mean much.

QUOTE]

Not sure I fully agree about it not meaning much - Tell that to the players who played - It meant a lot to our UNI boys. Unless you m,ean the general public but I'm sure a few neutrals went for an appetiser to the start of the season.

C

CoachTB

Should have made Vikings (Canberra) role in this three way official. Pretty sure if they had Vikings would be the champions having defeated Qld Uni 73-19 and lost to Sydney Uni 17 - 36. That would have given them a points differential of around +35 which would have been superior to Sydney Uni -3 and Qld Uni -38.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Im pretty sure that that team that QLD uni took down to Canberra was vastly different to the one that won the premiership. Correct me if I am wrong but many of the guys that ran out that day were reggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.