• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Raelene's insistence on pursuing legal action to get rid of Folau should never be forgotten.
Longer negotiations, offering a partial walk-back, "agreeing to disagree" - all tactics she didn't employ and she needs to be judged on the schism her stand on inclusiveness incurred.

Really? That whole saga is completely the fault of one person - Israel Folau.

Castle has shown the kind of backbone in that situation that was probably needed when Ewen McKenzie was coach.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm afraid that's not good enough. What would Kearns who was the only other candidate have done that she hasn't done? Specifically..

I am sure he would have added Daryl Gibson as an assistant coach and given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at least a million per season.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Should we all be judged in our current job by what we did at our previous job?
Only if the previous job showed you were not up to the task.

I actually think she will do alright, given the opportunity.

I hope she can get rid of deadwood with favours to pay back and starts from scratch rebuilding rugby from the ground up.

Loyalty is a big issue in our performances, we should select on form, not previous performances

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
No, but you get the new job based on performance in the old job.
If her Bulldog tenure was flawed, why didn't RA know before appointing her?

RA wanted a woman in the job to satisfy one of the female directors. Clyne had worked with Castle in new Zealand at BNZ when she was head of marketing or media or some such thing. imo, Clyne threw her name into the pot and they had no one else - a bit like when Castle didn't sack Cheika last year, she had no one else, so she got the gig.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone able to access this story??
Clyne.jpg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Won’t post the whole article, but they’re also discussing an independent review, and how the intent is for the independent body to assess and nominate the future wallaby coach. Overall the article is very negative about Cheika as well and about his dealings with RA and the power he held.

There are moves afoot to replace Clyne as chairman but the manoeuvres are ones he is aware of and fully comfortable with. It is understood three vacancies will need to be filled at the RA annual general meeting in April for Brett Robinson and Paul McLean, while the vacancy caused by the resignation of former board member Ann Sherry is yet to be filled.

The nominations committee already is scouring for replacements but, with deputy chairman Robinson having served his allotted maximum term of nine years, the intention is to parachute a future chairman onto the board in the process of naming the three replacements. Once his successor is up to speed, Clyne is then expected to stand down

It is understood that Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, the man who has bankrolled the Western Force for the past two years, is not on the list of possible replacement chairmen.

This is, at least, how RA has war-gamed its succession plan. Whether its thinking stands up any better than did Cheika’s game plan against England remains to be seen. Clyne has a zero rating with the Australian rugby public following the shambolic axing of the Western Force in 2017 and the continued failure of Cheika and the Wallabies is, in large part, to be laid at his door and that of the remainder of the board.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ta, ForceFan. A web search on the article title can sometimes work. Have snipped some paragraphs, as per gagr forum rules, pertinent to the departure lounge …

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out, Cameron.

I'm cynical about this, however. It's still the classic C-level horseshit, trying to manage the story and agenda when it has been a dumpster fire though the whole tenure.

The Rugby Australia Nominations Committee still exists - so the nepotistic snouts in the trough will live to fight another day.

<edit> Adam beat me to the punch while I typed the guff above :-b

Clyne quits over Wallabies fallout
…<snip>…​
There are moves afoot to replace Clyne as chairman but the manoeuvres are ones he is aware of and fully comfortable with. It is understood three vacancies will need to be filled at the RA annual general meeting in April for Brett Robinson and Paul McLean, while the vacancy caused by the resignation of former board member Ann Sherry is yet to be filled.​
The nominations committee already is scouring for replacements but, with deputy chairman Robinson having served his allotted maximum term of nine years, the intention is to parachute a future chairman onto the board in the process of naming the three replacements. Once his successor is up to speed, Clyne is then expected to stand down.​
It is understood that Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, the man who has bankrolled the Western Force for the past two years, is not on the list of possible replacement chairmen.​
This is, at least, how RA has war-gamed its succession plan. Whether its thinking stands up any better than did Cheika’s game plan against England remains to be seen. Clyne has a zero rating with the Australian rugby public following the shambolic axing of the Western Force in 2017 and the continued failure of Cheika and the Wallabies is, in large part, to be laid at his door and that of the remainder of the board.​
…<snip>…​

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can people calling for Raelenes head state why? She's barely been in the job a year and seems to be making the right-ish moves, even if saying anything other than a final is failure (she mustn't watch much rugby)

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, let's not get into that whole Folau thing... again.....

But what I'll say in defence of Castle is that every other CEO of every other major football code in the country would've acted in the same manner, and they're all on record stating that.

Fair defence in terms of how they would have responded, but none of them have said that they would have offered a $5 million, 4 year deal to a player with a history of social media activity contrary to their values without inserting a social media clause into said contract allowing them to circumvent the legal fallout. Just saying.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fair defence in terms of how they would have responded, but none of them have said that they would have offered a $5 million, 4 year deal to a player with a history of social media activity contrary to their values without inserting a social media clause into said contract allowing them to circumvent the legal fallout. Just saying.
Sigh can you please go back and read the thirty thousand posts in the Folau thread that outlined in detail how RA did not have the discretion to add such a term to their contracts? 'Just sayin'

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sigh can you please go back and read the thirty thousand posts in the Folau thread that outlined in detail how RA did not have the discretion to add such a term to their contracts? 'Just sayin'

That is absolutely and completely factually incorrect. They do have the power to do so, as long as the player and RUPA agree, as has been reported multiple times. Sigh.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
RA wanted a woman in the job to satisfy one of the female directors. Clyne had worked with Castle in new Zealand at BNZ when she was head of marketing or media or some such thing. imo, Clyne threw her name into the pot and they had no one else - a bit like when Castle didn't sack Cheika last year, she had no one else, so she got the gig.

Thanks for that info.
A quick web search got me to Communications manager for Bank of New Zealand 2003-4.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That is absolutely and completely factually incorrect. They do have the power to do so, as long as the player and RUPA agree, as has been reported multiple times. Sigh.
Right, so they don't have discretion. Fuck me sideways. I don't have the discretion to make a decision if I need someone else's approval.