• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And thus, having gone their separate ways, we can finally close comment on Folau in this thread.

Well, we role into 2020 with the Folau saga over, a new Wallaby coach (and for Tahs fans, a new Tahs coach), Clyne leaving in the first half of the year and about half the Wallabies moving on.
It's a new year, a new era, let's get excited, I'm really looking forward to it!!!

^^^ What he said.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So there’s already whispers about the amount Folau received from RA.........

And apparently it’s only six figures.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeah $8M is about what I expected when the statements were released. I imagine that's the general consensus.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I just don't see how RA can be responsible for any loss of sponsorship earnings he included in his claim. His third party sponsors dumped him before RA did so that's all on him!

I'd have been angry but understanding of his payout was the full balance of his contract - $8m if true is a farce!

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I figured $8M would be about the mid point of the 2 starting offers. There wasn't a good precedent so it was difficult to determine who would win the case. And actually going through with the case, regardless of result, didn't appear to hurt Folau but had monumental ramifications for RA if all the players suggested got involved. So there was a decent chance they were ultimately going to meet in the middle, because RA had much greater incentive to avoid court. But of course they couldn't let the public know that they gave him such a large amount so everything had to be confidential and mutually apologetic statements were required to maintain reputation.

Then hearing the statements afterwards and reading the expressions as they left, I got the impression that's the way it played out.

That said I doubt Clarissa actually knows the settlement amount. It looks more like a guess than a leak. But it matches my guess.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If $8 mil is true, Raelene absolutely has to go. That is disgraceful.

It's not even about the money, all the goodwill RA got from the wider community in sacking him is all gone by this settlement and payout.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^Well, yes. Taking insurance … surely … means not being solely liable for such a large payout.

You'd presume so, and hope so, on RA's behalf - as disastrous as the whole affair has been.

However claiming there is no financial impact at all , nor material effect on future premiums is dubious. It comes with no more weight than the speculation about the size of the payout itself.

The details of both are still hidden away

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
^Well, yes. Taking insurance … surely … means not being solely liable for such a large payout.

You'd presume so, and hope so, on RA's behalf - as disastrous as the whole affair has been.

However claiming there is no financial impact at all , nor material affect on future premiums is dubious. It comes with no more weight than the speculation about the size of the payout itself.

The details of both are still hidden away

Given I work in insurance pricing, I reckon I’ve got a pretty decent idea of the impact if it were $8 million. Large claims happen.

Of course I doubt it is that much. His initial demand was $10 million. It would be very odd for a settlement to be that high as a proportion of the amount.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If $8 mil is true, Raylene absolutely has to go. That is disgraceful.

It's not even about the money, all the goodwill RA got from the wider community in sacking him is all gone by this settlement and payout.
How long was she signed for, do you know?

That said, if the board continues the cycle of appointments of friends of the board then the answer won't mean much anyway.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I figured $8M would be about the mid point of the 2 starting offers. There wasn't a good precedent so it was difficult to determine who would win the case. And actually going through with the case, regardless of result, didn't appear to hurt Folau but had monumental ramifications for RA if all the players suggested got involved. So there was a decent chance they were ultimately going to meet in the middle, because RA had much greater incentive to avoid court. But of course they couldn't let the public know that they gave him such a large amount so everything had to be confidential and mutually apologetic statements were required to maintain reputation.

Then hearing the statements afterwards and reading the expressions as they left, I got the impression that's the way it played out.

That said I doubt Clarissa actually knows the settlement amount. It looks more like a guess than a leak. But it matches my guess.

Folau’s starting offer was $10 millio. He increased to $14 million which was widely regarded as being insane as it claimed he couple be captain

I doubt whether it was $8 million and RA would have had minimal input into the amount if it is fully covered under the insurance contract

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Given I work in insurance pricing, I reckon I’ve got a pretty decent idea of the impact if it were $8 million. Large claims happen.

1. How much is RA itself paying - including to the insurer?

Unless you are stating it is zero, then claiming there's no financial impact is eyewash. Hell, I'd even give leeway below half a million bucks to get away with that.

2. What is the net outcome for the insurer - are they the losers on this?

3. Did you do their pricing?

I doubt whether it was $8 million
Doubt or know the amount?

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
6a5fdxa.jpg

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
1. How much is RA itself paying - including to the insurer?

Unless you are stating it is zero then claiming there's no finacial impact is eyewash. Hell, I'd even give leeway below half a million bucks to get away with that.

2. What is the net outcome for the insurer - are they the losers on this?

3. Did you do their pricing?

Doubt or know the amount?

Of course the insurer will be losers. They are every time a claim is made.
RA may have an excess but the policy limit was stated at $10 million. Also they won’t have to pay out Folau’s remaining contract (unless that was part of the agreement with the insurer. Impact is likely to be minimal.
Pricing typically doesn’t adjust for single large losses. They happen. Also, I’d expect RA to put in mitigation strategies to stop it happening again.

Less than $8 million. Castle has said that the number talked about is “Wildly Inaccurate”.

Folau’s claim blamed RA for his loss of sponsors (who left before he was sacked, one for the prior event) and for his future career where they have no control or responsibility for who signs him in the future.