• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Uni takes advantage of a number of natural advantages it recieves by proxy of being part of a University. But I tend to agree that players are drawn to Uni not for the prospect of financial gain but the opportunity to train and develop among high quality coaching a facilities.

I guess that's where an argument for a Universities competition could come into play.
Talk to players why they choose Uni.
The guys I ask unanimously say it's about opportunity.
Remove the perception its a fast track to a pro career,and it would dramatically affect their recruiting success.

Any talk of University Comp as a pathway is fantasy.

UNSW,UTS,UWS & Macq Uni are hardly Rugby powerhouses are they?
They each have had Rugby teams for many years,yet are predominantly low level subbies standard.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Talk to players why they choose Uni.
The guys I ask unanimously say it's about opportunity.
Remove the perception its a fast track to a pro career,and it would dramatically affect their recruiting success.

Any talk of University Comp as a pathway is fantasy.

UNSW,UTS,UWS & Macq Uni are hardly Rugby powerhouses are they?
They each have had Rugby teams for many years,yet are predominantly low level subbies standard.

I specifically mentioned opportunity. I really don't understand why you thought you needed to make that point. Nor did I advocate the idea that it should be removed.

A Universities concept isn't about elevating the Universities you've mentioned from their current positions. More setting up performance squads in these Uni's as a means to access facilities and training.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You said "opportunity to train and develop among high quality coaching and facilities".
My point was players are drawn there, as they see it as an Inside run to a pro contract.
High quality coaching & facilities are a happy co incidence for them.
big difference.

In your previous post you mentioned a Universities comp,not venues for high performance squads.

I'm very supportive of multiple high performance venues.
I'd also like to see the Tahs facilities & IP opened up to a much wider group of aspiring players.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You said "opportunity to train and develop among high quality coaching and facilities".
My point was players are drawn there, as they see it as an Inside run to a pro contract.
High quality coaching & facilities are a happy co incidence for them.
big difference.

In your previous post you mentioned a Universities comp,not venues for high performance squads.

I'm very supportive of multiple high performance venues.
I'd also like to see the Tahs facilities & IP opened up to a much wider group of aspiring players.

I would have thought 'opprtunity' would hold a good deal of implied access to professionalism for most.

As for the Uni's comment. It was more of a throw away than anything else. Again implying that perhaps the best way to develop talent is via HP centres based in and around Uni's particularly for players 23 and under.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Nothing like having World Rugby CEO involved in Australian Rugby, and mixing it with a component of grass roots. Great having Brett Gosper at the Marlins season launch and the announcement of first grade for round one.

Grass roots Australian rugby doing things well, and our village clubs got a mention as there is a pathway - registrations up this year.
sssss.jpg

T

Train Without a Station

You can't talk down Uni on the basis that perception benefits them without acknowledging that the very same perception benefits the Shute Shield.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You can't talk down Uni on the basis that perception benefits them without acknowledging that the very same perception benefits the Shute Shield.
I didn't mean to talk down Uni in any way.
I think they are the benchmark.
My point was that young kids see that playing with Uni enhances their chances of playing pro footy. The facilities and programs are hardly a consideration.( Most if not all SS clubs are proud of,and talk up their strength & fitness programs)

Your not seriously suggesting that 2nd or 3rd division subbie players have the same chances of playing pro rugby as SS players?
Sometimes perceptions match reality!

T

Train Without a Station

No. My point is they don't because of the same perception about Shute Shield.

This perception means those outside the Shute Shield would not be considered.

For the majority it's correct, because as a result of this perception, the best gravitate towards the SS, but it's unrealistic to say there are zero players at Kentwell Cup or below that are capable. Especially when you consider that some are paid more than they would at SS and therefore have financial incentive to be there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what is the going rate for player payments? Is it incentivised, as in win bonuses over and above a set figure?
I have heard a snout say that a certain club who's President is in the media pay a figure of $200 per game for a first grade match that is doubled for a win. That sounds unsustainable to me, although the snout was not associated with that club so it may be sour grapes talking.

Do players get paid to play in Canberra and/or BrisVegas Premier Grade footy?

I can understand that game day medical and strapping should be "free", and assistance to find a job, for "out of town" players is what a club should do for their players but beyond that a dangerous arms race beckons, particularly for those clubs that don't have large gates at their home grounds.

I'm all for ARU/State RU grants tied to specific projects but a straight cash injection is open for being directed to areas other than what it was intended for. I am one of the more vocal critics of the ARU and the cesspit of political intrigue and backroom dealings that is the NSWRU/SRU, but I think many folk don't give credit for the indirect support that they have been doing for grass roots.

F'r'instance back in the dark ages when I first started coaching, and administering a junior club there was almost zero information available to help. Coaching material was rather limited and of amateurish production quality. Compare that with the quality, and quantity of ARU produced material that is available now.

I feel a Monty Python moment coming on, like the classic "What have the Romans done for us?" scene from the Holy Grail movie. When you sit back and objectively look at it, the ARU actually do a fair bit for us down at the grass roots even if it is not in the form of cash injections for the village clubs or the Shute Shielders, and there are some very hard working and dedicated staff (and interns) in the joint.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I do recall a couple of seasons ago that Eastwood had failed to make their budget because the Firsts had won too many games, thus earning too much in winning bonuses.

T

TOCC

So Reece Robinson lined up for Randwick on the weekend, should he be paid a player payment? Will that assist in development of rugby union in Randwick or NSW?

He is already a professional athlete, he is already paid to play rugby union in NSW, yet amateur clubs will pay professional athletes to join and play for their clubs..

It's not just amateur players getting paid to join clubs, professional players are as well.. Which is fucken ridiculous, they are getting paid twice for doing the same job.. Contracted players should not be getting paid to play amateur rugby, but clubs will continue to do it because they want to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
So Reece Robinson lined up for Randwick on the weekend, should he be paid a player payment? Will that assist in development of rugby union in Randwick or NSW?

He is already a professional athlete, he is already paid to play rugby union in NSW, yet amateur clubs will pay professional athletes to join and play for their clubs..

It's not just amateur players getting paid to join clubs, professional players are as well.. Which is fucken ridiculous, they are getting paid twice for doing the same job.. Contracted players should not be getting paid to play amateur rugby, but clubs will continue to do it because they want to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're begrudging a pro rugby player being paid (an alleged) $200 for his week's effort for a club?

All pro contracts are individually negotiated, so for all you know he essentially doesn't get paid that weekend by the Super team as he misses his playing bonus. I'm guessing Reece isn't exactly pulling down big numbers just yet.

I really don't get the hostility behind either paying or helping players to enable them to commit to rugby.