• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The problem is that Sydney is so big, that consolidating the Shute Shield done to 2 or 3 teams (the max that the quality of the competition could maintain) for a higher level competition is so hard.

Northern Sydney -- Gordon, Eastwood, Norths, Manly, Warringah

Western Sydney -- Paramatta, West Harbour

Central Sydney (the Waratahs) -- Randwick, Easts, Sydney Uni

Where do Souths go?

Michael, either you or I are at cross purposes (probably both). My post was in response to a NRC type competition based on using the existing Super teams supplemented with the Force and maybe one or two PI teams. Your comment talks about a competition based on amalgamated premier teams. To me, that would be the hardest and most likely to fail structure that could be implemented.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Michael, either you or I are at cross purposes (probably both). My post was in response to a NRC type competition based on using the existing Super teams supplemented with the Force and maybe one or two PI teams. Your comment talks about a competition based on amalgamated premier teams. To me, that would be the hardest and most likely to fail structure that could be implemented.

I happened in NZ, though. Yes a bumpy ride, effective all the same.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Like everyone else, he doesn't have one. It took a really long time to get there though.

I just thought it was another decent take on how you can not be a woman-hating, blazer-boy sympathiser, but can still have an opinion that Raelene was a nice person but was the wrong person for the job, and that she wasn't particualrly good at it.

You're allowed to have an opinion without the answer, you know.

And FWIW, my 'solution' is to hire an experienced Australian sports administrator as her successor, and to embrace but not necessarily empower the captains bloc. And before you ask, how, that's for the experienced sports administrator to put in place, via the levels of expertise and the comprehensive experience that they have, which I don't.

Also, it goes without saying that the most important broadcast deal in the game's history should be negotiated by somebody who is respected by broadcasters, and who has negotiated them previously.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tim was born in 1930. I tried to find some evidence that he served in Vietnam, but no luck (just a quick look of course). Our involvement started in 1962, just a few "advisers", large scale involvement started in 1965, at which time Tim was 35. So I would guess he was just regurgitating stories that he had from the boys on R & R in the Cross. He would have spent a lot of time around there.

Yes, he was very dangerous. He also worked to gather evidence for court cases back in the days when divorce needed some sort of proof of adultery or the like, Tim made a pretty good living breaking down bedroom doors, motel room doors, etc and taking "incriminating" photos. Up to 8 times a night (so he said - as with everything he said, to be taken with a large grain of salt).

The last time I saw him in the CBD he looked pretty terrible, his face was deformed badly by his stroke.
Sadly, Tim was dropped from Dismal's "All time crim 15" for a couple of murderers. Tim's bashing of opponents was considered sub-par for selection.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just thought it was another decent take on how you can not be a woman-hating, blazer-boy sympathiser, but can still have an opinion that Raelene was a nice person but was the wrong person for the job, and that she wasn't particualrly good at it.

And FWIW, my 'solution' is to hire an experienced Australian sports administrator as her successor, and to embrace but not necessarily empower the captains bloc. And before you ask, how, that's for the experienced sports administrator to put in place, via the levels of expertise and the comprehensive experience that they have, which I don't.

Also, it goes without saying that the most important broadcast deal in the game's history should be negotiated by somebody who is respected by broadcasters, and who has negotiated them previously.

I have no issues with any of that and really don't have any issues with the article Nick Turnbull wrote. I don't have the answers either. A big part of the problem is that Castle has been ousted through a fairly vicious campaign and those that got rid of her have none of the answers either. We are almost certainly in a worse position now than we were a week ago because now we've got no CEO and our best opportunity for a new broadcasting agreement has walked away because they quite reasonably don't believe that they can deal with Rugby Australia in good faith.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sadly, Tim was dropped from Dismal's "All time crim 15" for a couple of murderers. Tim's bashing of opponents was considered sub-par for selection.

Tim Bristow gave it his best shot. Gave it the ol' college try. No shame in that. Or, not enough shame in that, as the case may be with selection for The Alltime Crim 1st XV.

Sadly, (or thankfully) he just didnt have what it took to really dedicate himself to his craft, that being, upgrading from GBH to murder.

The selection criteria for The Alltime Crim 1st XV is very clear on this, particularly in regards to jerseys in the highly competitive forward pack. Not everyone has what it takes to make the grade!

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I have no issues with any of that and really don't have any issues with the article Nick Turnbull wrote. I don't have the answers either. A big part of the problem is that Castle has been ousted through a fairly vicious campaign and those that got rid of her have none of the answers either. We are almost certainly in a worse position now than we were a week ago because now we've got no CEO and our best opportunity for a new broadcasting agreement has walked away because they quite reasonably don't believe that they can do with Rugby Australia in good faith.

Fair call, and I take your point, but I would counter that we are in a stronger position than we were 3 months ago due to the excellent Board appointments we've made, and the relationships and acumen that they bring.

And at least those in power are finally realising, though it's taken a pandemic to do it, that Super Rugby as it was slated to be in 2021 onwards is not the answer for Australian Rugby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

What a useless fucking perspective. Sure, have your opinion. But don't tear down the current administrator without even a single fucking clue as to what should be done afterwards. Got dayum what the fuck.

'Oh i don't have the answers but some mythical saviour who doesn't exist and wouldn't take the job if they did will, in the mean time we'll just sit around with no CEO and no broadcasting deal - she'll be right lad. STRAYA!'

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair call, and I take your point, but I would counter that we are in a stronger position than we were 3 months ago due to the excellent Board appointments we've made, and the relationships and acumen that they bring.

We've also got the best credentialed Wallaby coaching team assembled in the professional era.

Maybe Castle was part of the solution and not the problem?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We've also got the best credentialed Wallaby coaching team assembled in the professional era.

Maybe Castle was part of the solution and not the problem?

A bit of both, although I would guess Scott Johnson was more about the coaching set up. He is a good operator and the best thing she did

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
'Oh i don't have the answers but some mythical saviour who doesn't exist and wouldn't take the job if they did will, in the mean time we'll just sit around with no CEO and no broadcasting deal - she'll be right lad. STRAYA!'

Derpus, it's not hard. What RA should do from here is simply select the most qualified CEO candidate, who will then employ a range of experts to systematically solve our problems.

How will they do that, you ask? Well they will identify said problems, work through a solution to each one, and then implement that solution.

I don't know why you don't see the logic in that approach.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Dismal, Tim wasn't ever CHARGED with murder. As I'm sure Wamberal would endorse, it doesn't mean he didn't commit murder. I think he'd make a couple of your first XV look like Sunday school teachers :)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Derpus, it's not hard. What RA should do from here is simply select the most qualified CEO candidate, who will then employ a range of experts to systematically solve our problems.

How will they do that, you ask? Well they will identify said problems, work through a solution to each one, and then implement that solution.

Whilst dodging the bullshit petty politics that infests RA and putting out the media fires as "x" whinges

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Hrmmm

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Derpus,
It's like the old Monty Python sketch of how to play the flute.
You blow at this end and move your fingers over the holes at the other end, and that's how you play the flute!:)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dismal, Tim wasn't ever CHARGED with murder. As I'm sure Wamberal would endorse, it doesn't mean he didn't commit murder. I think he'd make a couple of your first XV look like Sunday school teachers :)

Apparently he did claim to have killed somebody. It wouldn't surprise me. The only surprise to me is that he did not kill one of the opposing team.

Given that Tim was an absolute animal on the rugby field, surely that makes him a shoo-in!!!